Schrade Old Timer Repair

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
Hoop19

Schrade Old Timer Repair

Post by Hoop19 »

Is a Schrade Old Timer with the Blade USA 80t worth repairing?
Attachments
8D5950D6-787F-4636-A695-4A7727AE38AE.jpeg
DEE1DF90-7A1C-4BB4-B6C8-9F7CC8FFC176.jpeg
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Schrade Old Timer Repair

Post by treefarmer »

Hoop19, ::welcome:: to AAPK.
If the blades still have snap or “walk and talk”, you could reshape the clip blade, clean it up and carry it.
On the other hand a replacement blade could be installed, if done by a knife mechanic you could probably buy another knife for what that might cost.
If it has sentimental value then it’s a keeper with a new blade or a modified blade. :)
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

I think all knives are worth repairing but when the main blade is snapped off like that there’s not a lot of options available for repair.
If you can find a cheap donor knife for a replacement blade then you should attempt to repair it. Schrade knives are readily available so see if you can find a replacement blade and get it fixed!
Jeff
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

treefarmer wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:50 am Hoop19, ::welcome:: to AAPK.
If the blades still have snap or “walk and talk”, you could reshape the clip blade, clean it up and carry it.
On the other hand a replacement blade could be installed, if done by a knife mechanic you could probably buy another knife for what that might cost.
If it has sentimental value then it’s a keeper with a new blade or a modified blade. :)
Treefarmer
Well said TF!
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
Hoop19

Post by Hoop19 »

I picked it up for a dollar. It’s not sentimental or anything.
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

It's not really worth getting a blade replacement due to the difficulty of finding a new blade and the cost of having someone do it. You could easily reshape the tip back into a point and make use of it that way. USA 8ot's can often be found in much better condition for very little money. I have paid as little as $10 for them in like new condition.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

I, too, vote for re-profiling the blade a bit...removing metal from the top only (not the cutting edge)...sharpening it up...and putting it to work! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

It should also be noted that replacing a blade on this and other Old Timers is not as easy as just swapping out a blade. The blades/middle liner/springs are together as one assembly, using something called the Swinden rivet system. These knives do not use a typical pin-through-the-bolster construction. You can turn these into a through-bolster construction, but it would require taking the knife apart to do so.

As others have said, re-profiling the blade is probably the best choice.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I'm in total agreement with and talk Glenn and Doc!
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Yep, I would re-profile the blade..... then clean it up good and tote it.

When I re-profile a blade, I try to make the tip be about where it was originally. IOW, the tip was MAYBE about half way between the top and bottom of the break. Take a marker and make a line about where you think the tip should be. Then close the blade. If the mark is below the top edge of the liner... then you are good to go. File (or grind if you are in a hurry....LOL) the new profile on the blade at the spot you marked.

Good luck!

Mike
::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”