My latest Schrade

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
bladecollectorr

Re: My latest Schrade

Post by bladecollectorr »

Thanks for the kind replies folks!

I agree with what koldgold said about the box. It looks not-factory to me too. All the knives this seller lists are in those sort of boxes with the stick-on labels. I have never seen that presentation anywhere else. At first, I assumed it was the current seller who had boxed them like that but perhaps it was his source (SMKW). Good suggestion.

I searched around online for pics of a fully complete blue bone set. I found two but (as Ken mentioned) neither had boxes included. Here is the most complete one for reference.
blue bone set.jpg
I don't always respond to great posts but I always appreciate seeing them. Thanks for posting! ::tu::
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

bladecollectorr wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:08 am
The (new in 1987) 5OT "Bruin" is 4" closed.

The 5UH is 3-1/2" closed. This will be my first 5UH-sized knife. I will be sure to measure it when I get it.
The sizes are off. I looked in the catalogs to see if I was missing something and sure enough they do say the 5OT is 4" and the 5UH is 3-1/2" but the ones I have don't seem to measure up. In this pic are; LB5, 55OT, 55UH, 5OT & 5UH -
5055.jpg
They are all exactly the same length and they are all 3-3/4". Seems like Schrade was guesstimating a bit.

I happen to have a blue bone set too and as mentioned it did not come with boxes.
blueboneset.jpg
I have never seen them sold individually like the one you bought - nice find ::tu::
- Jason
koldgold
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by koldgold »

From 2000 Schrade started to produce a number of special knives.

I believe, around 2002-03 Schrade had some Special Orders, to make sets of knives in Displays,
I also believe, those Orders fell through.

In 2003, Schrade decided to produce the other Blue Bone Knives [the ACB set of 4 knives]
Schrade's practise with Set, Often started with salesmen advertising / showing the new up-coming knives.

My ACB8 Blue Rope-cut Bone, was due to be release in the first half of 2004,
I know Schrade would often sell the first two knives in a Pack, containing a Display and two boxed knives.
The next two knives would have been sold at a later date.
I have never seen an ACB Set in a Display or a single box.
I have seen a Finished Set of the ACBs - and I have a number of the unfinished ACBs in my collection.

It would be hard to find a Blue Bone Set [although we have 3 sets shown].
The 2004 Wooden Handled set, would be next to imposable to find, although I have seen a boxed Sharp Finger. Ken

I NOTE: The Blue Bone Set shown by jxr 1197 has the wrong Flag in the centre, my set does not have a flag.
HI FROM AUSTRALIA
A.A.P.N. # 5197: Member of Australian & U.S Blade Forums...KEN -
I collect Schrade knives - made in the U.S.A.- I like the 8OT
koldgold
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by koldgold »

The 55UH made in 2002 and sold only by Walmart was a 4" knife.
All Schrade knives 5OT, 5OTG, 55OTG, and the 2004 55UH are all 3.75" closed
The smaller 3OT is 3" closed and the 2004 green 53OT is a 2.75" knife closed.

RE: THE WHITE BOXES. Schrade had them made in China.
Then had them printed, often in gold print.
In 2003 Schrade was using the white box, with a "bar code sticker" showing the knife type.
There must have been un-printed / code white boxes after the close down auction.
I have 20 large white boxes, with a gold duck printed on them.
I also have a book of 100, of those last day certificates - made up after the close down, to sell ex-stock.

Check this 2007 post by Dale: Post #4
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/50uh-maybe.499308/
Attachments
DSC_0010.JPG
DSC_0011.JPG
HI FROM AUSTRALIA
bladecollectorr

Thanks Ken and Jason for checking the sizes of these knives. I quoted catalog etc and didn't really think about it. In my mind I always thought the blue bone 5UH was a 5OT sized knife and I guess that's correct after all. The ebay listing stated the knife is 3-3/4" closed.

When I think about it I knew that LB5 and 5OT were the same size at 3-3/4" closed.

Ken, the pic Jason showed illustrates that the 55UH was 3-3/4" closed as well.
I don't always respond to great posts but I always appreciate seeing them. Thanks for posting! ::tu::
koldgold
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by koldgold »

jxr1197 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:07 am
They are all exactly the same length and they are all 3-3/4". Seems like Schrade was guesstimating a bit.

I happen to have a blue bone set too and as mentioned it did not come with boxes.
blueboneset.jpg

I have never seen them sold individually like the one you bought - nice find ::tu::
Look at this old post about size.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/50uh-maybe.499308/
HI FROM AUSTRALIA
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

koldgold wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:07 amLook at this old post about size.
Thanks for the link. Seems like the question was asked and answered a long time ago.

As long as I'm here - this mug showed up last week:
Schrade Coffee Mug.jpg
- Jason
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

jxr1197 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:43 pm
koldgold wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:07 amLook at this old post about size.
Thanks for the link. Seems like the question was asked and answered a long time ago.

As long as I'm here - this mug showed up last week:
Schrade Coffee Mug.jpg
Nice one! I'm beginning to get into the non-knife stuff. I've been looking at a roughly 1:43 scale Chevy panel van Ertl put out with a Schrade Walden livery. I made a pretty lowball offer since every other item in that lot was A: stuff I've moved away from in the diecast hobby B: pretty low-end clones of Lledo and Matchbo Models of Yesteryear that no one (inlcuding me( wants. They wouldn't budge. However, there is an older (1980s) tin Hong Kong Tramways tin streetcar included in that lot which I should be able to resell and get close to the $20 the seller wants for the entire lot back out of it. Luckily, there's a local "collectibles" dealer who is so clueless, and so overstates his prices, I should be able to get what I want for it.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Two lockbacks from members here.

Oh, and new phone. This one seems to have a passable camera.

5OTG Bruin. This was bought for the collection. Brown Delrin Old Timers were getting a little boring. Now to get one of the few that was actually bone. And an actual stag Uncle Henry.
KIMG0115 (2020-04-07T10_37_56.000).JPG

Sears Craftsman 95228, appears to be the same as the SP3/SH3 Firebird. Slim, and very lightweight. Unlike the 5OT, it was put into my pocket after the Coronavirus-enhanced decontamination procedures. I can't even tell it's there.
KIMG0116 (2020-04-07T10_38_15.000).JPG
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

cody6268 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:16 pmHowever, there is an older (1980s) tin Hong Kong Tramways tin streetcar included in that lot which I should be able to resell and get close to the $20 the seller wants for the entire lot back out of it. Luckily, there's a local "collectibles" dealer who is so clueless, and so overstates his prices, I should be able to get what I want for it.
I don't know what a Hong Kong Tramways tin streetcar will sell for but the Ertl is easily worth two or three times as much as the asking price on that lot.
ertl.jpg
- Jason
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Picked up this 787 Improved Muskrat.
Attachments
IMG_1728.jpeg
IMG_1732.jpeg
tnorton

Post by tnorton »

Always liked the 787 - nice find and pick ::tu::
ozzie marie

Post by ozzie marie »

Here's the latest additions to my collection ::nod::

Schrade Walden 825RB Display & Schrade Statue of Liberty

Keith
825RB Display.JPG
SoL (2).JPG
Loyalty and Respect are not purchased and owned for a lifetime, they are earned everyday.

Please visit my store at:
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ozziemarie
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

Love the 825RB Display and knives Keith...That is a great piece!

Tom
bladecollectorr

ozzie marie wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:02 pm Here's the latest additions to my collection ::nod::

Schrade Walden 825RB Display & Schrade Statue of Liberty

Keith

825RB Display.JPGSoL (2).JPG
Congrats! I had saved pics of that 825RB display for my records, never seen one before.

I think you snatched the gold Liberty knife from my clutches about 10 seconds before I decided to pull the trigger ::dang::

Two super-nice Schrade finds! I like how us Schrade-aholics often compete for the nicest knives but are genuinely happy for whoever does score it.

I will have to console myself with this 1993 "Gander Mountain" 5OT, 0110 of 1000. Burnt sambar stag with attractive gold-filled etch.
01.jpg
02.jpg
05.jpg
07.jpg
ozzie marie

Post by ozzie marie »

blade,

I guess I'll be looking for that Gander Mountain 50T next ::tu::

Keith
Loyalty and Respect are not purchased and owned for a lifetime, they are earned everyday.

Please visit my store at:
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ozziemarie
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Nice knives, all; glad to see them. I bought an example of the gold and the silver Statue of Liberties some years ago and gave them to my wife. Trying for points in the shape of chocolate chip cookies, you see. About time to do something again; no desserts for weeks. :shock:
tnorton

Post by tnorton »

THAT 5OT IS NICE BUT SINCE I COLLECT MOSTLY SCHRADES IN TUBES - THAT 825RB DISPLAY MAKES ME JEALOUS - VERY NICE ::tu:: TO BOTH
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

jxr1197 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:05 pm
cody6268 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:16 pmHowever, there is an older (1980s) tin Hong Kong Tramways tin streetcar included in that lot which I should be able to resell and get close to the $20 the seller wants for the entire lot back out of it. Luckily, there's a local "collectibles" dealer who is so clueless, and so overstates his prices, I should be able to get what I want for it.
I don't know what a Hong Kong Tramways tin streetcar will sell for but the Ertl is easily worth two or three times as much as the asking price on that lot.
ertl.jpg
It's on the way now. I made a $15 offer this time, and got it.
s-l1600.jpg
knifegnome
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifegnome »

Schrade Walden ,reddish bone handles.
Attachments
P5081263.JPG
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

One of my favorites; good catch!
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

cody6268 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 1:20 am
jxr1197 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:05 pm
It's on the way now. I made a $15 offer this time, and got it.

Congrats ::tu:: - that's a great deal!
- Jason
tnorton

Post by tnorton »

Picked up the 804 Schrade Walden last week (also a couple of Scrimshaws no pics yet) - sheltering and working at home = spending to much on knives - :shock:
Attachments
IMG_4213.JPG
IMG_4212.JPG
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I think that the various versions of the 804 provide one of the best blade selections, along with a good size for a perfect carry.
tnorton

Post by tnorton »

tongueriver wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 8:59 pm I think that the various versions of the 804 provide one of the best blade selections, along with a good size for a perfect carry.
I would agree my second chose would probably be the 863

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”