What is Your Latest Old Schrade?

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
Meridian_Mike

Re: What is Your Latest Old Schrade?

Post by Meridian_Mike »

I fished this 34OT out of the bay for the minimum bid of $10.
It's a Schrade Walden and needs a clean-up but doesn't look like it was ever sharpened.

34OT 12.jpg

:D
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Meridian_Mike wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:19 pm I fished this 34OT out of the bay for the minimum bid of $10.
How did I miss that one?! That's a great score...congratulations!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Dan In MI wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:00 pm
How did I miss that one?! That's a great score...congratulations!
LOL..... OOPS....

Well, it was flying under the radar I guess.

:D
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Good snag Mike.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Below are photos of the oldest Schrade I own. It came to me from Canada, then made a brief trip to Virginia for what I thought would be a re-handle. Fortunately, there was no evidence of outgassing, but it did get a polishing and removal of most of its pitting. I went through the old catalogs I've been able to find, trying to determine what pattern it is. It most closely resembles the 7114 and 7434, but if anyone knows for sure, I'd be grateful. Tang stamps date it between 1917 and 1946.
Schrade Pen Closed.jpg
Schrade Pen Open.jpg
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Desert Golfer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Desert Golfer »

Here are my latest Old Schrades. I have acquired both of these within the last couple months. Both are contract knives. One was made for Winchester and the other was made for Shapleigh hardware.
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

DG, very nice DE Moose and Winchester English Jack::tu:: ::tu:: Clearly both are Schrade made, however some early Shapleigh DE were made by Empire. Does the Winchester have any markings or numbers on the pile side main blade tang? How long is it closed? Thanks!

EDIT: I took a closer look and can see the numbers (model no.) 2880? on the pile side main blade tang.
Lloyd
Desert Golfer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Desert Golfer »

Duffer wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:46 pm DG, very nice DE Moose and Winchester English Jack::tu:: ::tu:: Clearly both are Schrade made, however some early Shapleigh DE were made by Empire. Does the Winchester have any markings or numbers on the pile side main blade tang? How long is it closed? Thanks!

EDIT: I took a closer look and can see the numbers (model no.) 2880? on the pile side main blade tang.
Duffer- The Winchester is Model # 2880 and it is 4 1/2" Long. Peach Seed Bone.
The Shapleigh is Model # B639 and is 4 1/4" Long.
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

Thanks DG! The reason I was interested in the Winchester branded EJ is because I found one (in transit as I type this) and it is a model number 2881. Exactly like your fine example except this one has a clip main blade. They are apparently fairly rare ::nod::

Attached is a photo of a Winchester catalog cut showing the clip blade version model no. 2881. Yours is the first spear blade one I have ever seen and I have only seen one other clip blade version! Anyone else ever seen one of these with spear or clip blade before?

EDIT: Here is a photo of a rendering model # 2880 in J. Bruce Voyles “Antique Knives” second edition pg.#445 for what it is worth.
Attachments
2B1EB8C2-774B-479C-B0F1-CD7F9142A97D.jpeg
FE233AA2-B368-4767-B894-1FC29DCB7FCA.jpeg
Lloyd
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Dan In MI wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:11 pm Below are photos of the oldest Schrade I own. It came to me from Canada, then made a brief trip to Virginia for what I thought would be a re-handle. Fortunately, there was no evidence of outgassing, but it did get a polishing and removal of most of its pitting. I went through the old catalogs I've been able to find, trying to determine what pattern it is. It most closely resembles the 7114 and 7434, but if anyone knows for sure, I'd be grateful. Tang stamps date it between 1917 and 1946.

Schrade Pen Closed.jpg

Schrade Pen Open.jpg
Very nice!!! I trust the scales are celluloid? ::paranoid:: I have a big fear of celluloid deterioration (out gassing) :shock:. The scales in your photo look in good shape, I hope they prove to last without any problems ::nod::
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.
luckydog64
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by luckydog64 »

That is a nice knife Dan. Love those knives Desert Golfer fantastic patterns.
Earth First! We'll mine the other planets later.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

A couple of sweet ones DG. ::nod:: ::nod::
bladecollectorr

Post by bladecollectorr »

Dan In MI wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:11 pm ...It most closely resembles the 7114 and 7434, but if anyone knows for sure, I'd be grateful...
I've got a bunch of Cut. Co. senators. I think you are on the right track but missed a few subtle details.

I don't buy cell knives because of paranoia about off-gassing but it's also true that all celluloid was not created equal. Some off-gasses more than other types. The valid point has been put forward to me that Schrade's old cell is quite stable and if it hasn't already self-destructed after 75-100 years of sitting there it probably won't melt-down tomorrow either. That's likely the case with your fine little senator.

The 7114 is not the same at all. It's a "sleeveboard" pattern knife. One end is wider than the other, unlike your knife. I just bought a real nice A. Field stamped 7116T which is the same knife in MOP with tip bolsters. I think they were called sleeveboard knives because they resemble a sleeve-shaped ironing board as found in the garment industry back then. Maybe it was just cause they were sleeve-shaped, big at shoulders and small at cuffs. I can't say for sure. Memory fails me. The 7114 is also 3-3/8" when closed. I suspect your knife is 1/4" shorter at 3-1/8" when closed.

7116T:
04.jpg

Your 7434 theory is getting much warmer. Is your knife 3-1/8" long?

Here is a F7423T and F7426 for comparison. I think they look a lot like your knife. These ones have brass liners.
Cut Co bone senator.JPG
F7426 03 mark - open.jpg
F7426 05 bottom.jpg

Now here's where the details count. The 7434 had steel liners. The 7433 right above it on the same page of the catalog has brass liners like the two I referenced.

I'd say it was a 7434 or 7433. Liner material and closed length should tell the tale.
I don't always respond to great posts but I always appreciate seeing them. Thanks for posting! ::tu::
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

GSPTOPDOG and luckydog64, thank you for the kind words. The covers on my little senator are definitely celluloid, but they seem stable...

Desert Golfer, those are two mighty fine contract knives!

Bladecollectorr, thank you for the helpful information. I didn't think my knife looked quite like a sleeveboard. And it is right around 3 1/8" long (maybe 3 3/32") with brass liners. I'll call it a 7433, and be a little more confident about Schrade's celluloid.

Now...what celluloid color/pattern do I have?
USN 2000-2006
bladecollectorr

Post by bladecollectorr »

Dan In MI wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:28 am ...Now...what celluloid color/pattern do I have?
Total guess but it looks like "Green Pearl Pyralin" to me. I don't know what "Mottled Green Celluloid" should look like, which is another possibility.

Now I have a new question after going down Celluloid Street.

My understanding is that "Pyralin" was a type of celluloid. I never took note that Schrade used both terms to describe the same pattern in the same catalogs (as with the 7433 in 1926 catalog, page 36).

Does this "pyralin" vs "celluloid" descriptor tell us anything about what the knife should look like?
I don't always respond to great posts but I always appreciate seeing them. Thanks for posting! ::tu::
luckydog64
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by luckydog64 »

I have a reproduction winchester catalog. The 2881 picture is out of it. The 2880 picture looks to have been copied from the catalog also. Both are 4 1/2 inches closed. Fantastic knives.
Earth First! We'll mine the other planets later.
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Picked up a decent user 2OT, pretty knife with close to full blades.
Attachments
IMG_4324.jpeg
IMG_4327.jpeg
IMG_4333.jpeg
IMG_4337.jpeg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Wowser!!!. Very desirable knife!!!! ::tu::
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

That is a grail knife right there. Heaps of congratulations!
USN 2000-2006
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Very knice . . . Congrats on the score !!
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

VERY nice 2OT!

Those jokers are getting harder and harder to find everyday!
I recently saw one for sale for $425..... It wasn't nearly as nice as your either! It is gone now so somebody must have bought it.

Congrats!! That is a real beauty!

::tu:: ::tu::
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Thank you all for the nice comments, these 2OT's sure are pretty knives.
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

JohnR wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:31 pm Picked up a decent user 2OT, pretty knife with close to full blades.

Beautiful. Love those bolsters too. Congrats.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

I just got this wavy bone 293. It’s in decent shape with nice bone. Somebody buffed it, carefully, but a buffed knife is a buffed knife. It’s a pretty nice knife but not perfect.

9127E29B-B116-4F8C-BCB1-49DD09FA979E.jpeg
2FB5C253-5DFE-4140-9921-F8A640DAF005.jpeg
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”