My latest Schrade

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
tongueriver

Re: My latest Schrade

Post by tongueriver »

Papa Bones wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:08 pm
kootenay joe wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 12:13 am Calvin, i have a 3 9/16" 2 blade Schrade Walden that appears to be the same as your 893. However mine is marked as "825" and has a shield with "K-77" on it, Tang is marked "Schrade/Walden/Stainless/N.Y. U.S.A."
Do you know what the "K-77" refers to ?
kj
The K-77 was a code Schrade Walden used to signify the use of what they called Razor Blade Stainless Steel. They claimed it was able to hold an edge longer, but be able to be sharpened easier than standard stainless steel blades of that time.
Interesting. I have never heard anything like that before. The K-77 was one of a kind contract knife for Norm Thompson. It never existed before, after or in any other setting. I would like to see that reference between the marketing name "K-77" and anything else besides the contract with Norm Thompson. The Razor Blade Steel marketing was used extensively for several patterns but I have never seen a link to K-77 except in the opposite direction.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

I agree K77 was on Norm Thompson knives.
Not to signify steel type.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

tongueriver wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:26 pm
Interesting. I have never heard anything like that before. The K-77 was one of a kind contract knife for Norm Thompson. It never existed before, after or in any other setting. I would like to see that reference between the marketing name "K-77" and anything else besides the contract with Norm Thompson. The Razor Blade Steel marketing was used extensively for several patterns but I have never seen a link to K-77 except in the opposite direction.
[/quote]

edge213 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:38 pm I agree K77 was on Norm Thompson knives.
Not to signify steel type.
I read the information several years ago on the old BladeForums. It was another conversation on the K-77 stamped shields. The K-77 was indication of Knives that were a SFO for Norm Thompson Knives, but the requirement was for the knives to include having the Razor Blade Stainless run of knives. So basically yes the K-77 was in relation to the Norm Thompson Knives but also included a requirement for the type of steel.
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Papa Bones wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:56 pm I read the information several years ago on the old BladeForums. It was another conversation on the K-77 stamped shields. The K-77 was indication of Knives that were a SFO for Norm Thompson Knives, but the requirement was for the knives to include having the Razor Blade Stainless run of knives. So basically yes the K-77 was in relation to the Norm Thompson Knives but also included a requirement for the type of steel.
Got it. ::tu:: So, they then proceeded to use 825 openstock blades. Bingo.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I assume that the Norm Thompson Yukon and Shikari knives have been covered here at some time?
Norm Thompson ad.jpg
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

This one has been posted elsewhere, but it deserves a spot here, methinks. This little 104OT Minuteman pen might not be earth-shatteringly rare or desirable, but I still like it quite a lot. It's not perfect, but presentable enough. Not long after I unpacked it, I gave it a little fresh oil and slid it into my pocket.

Edit: I've officially fallen into the Old Timer rabbit hole!
Schrade 104OT Shield Side.jpg
Schrade 104OT Pile Side.jpg
Schrade 104OT Top.jpg
Schrade 104OT Open.jpg
Schrade 104OT Tang Stamp.jpg
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Nice! I have the 106OT and 104OT. My next purchases for Schrades planned out is a 108OT and a user 104OT. The 106OT adds scissors. A little hard to find, but it does have great scissors.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

There is also a UH version with scissors but watch out; many of those are Chinese. And.... some of the early 808 open stock little stockmans have milled liners. Little knives are cool.
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Thank you, gentlemen! The 106OT and 108OT are both future purchases for me, as are all USA-made folding Old Timers (fixed blades and UHs may be added later, or as they come in mixed lots). I've already got a good handle on spotting a Chinese Schrade: most I've seen in pictures only have "Schrade" stamped on the shield side of the tang. Are there any other tell-tale signs?
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

"Are there any other tell-tale signs?" Just no U.S.A. anywhere.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I had fun calling these sub three inch Schrade stockmans 'girlies.' They certainly deserve better than that. Very nice little fellows.
girlies001.jpg
girlies002.jpg
girlies003.jpg
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

tongueriver wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:57 pm Very nice little fellows.
I agree wholeheartedly. The work on the liners is superb!
USN 2000-2006
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Dan In MI wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:23 pm
tongueriver wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:57 pm Very nice little fellows.
I agree wholeheartedly. The work on the liners is superb!
I heard one time the milled liners were done at least sometimes by a lady in her home. They have never been done millimeter by millimeter like file work. The craftsman/craftswoman just runs them through some device... BRAAPPP! and it is done. I see that some run over onto the bolsters and some look like they did a stack of liners by themselves and then assembled them later. I bet Eric has a line on this subject? I know that during the Schrade Walden days, pre-1973, they would do these milled liners (and hint: threaded bolsters) on something new or special in the line-up and later issues would not have it.
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

A couple of new Old Timers have made their way to me: a 33OT and a 77OT. Neither is perfect, but they're gaps filled in my Old Timer collection (many, many more gaps still need to be filled). The 33OT might even become a regular carrier.
33OT And 77OT Closed.jpg
33OT And 77OT Open.jpg
33OT And 77OT Top.jpg
USN 2000-2006
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Both sweet knives ::handshake::
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Dan In MI wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:28 am A couple of new Old Timers have made their way to me: a 33OT and a 77OT. Neither is perfect, but they're gaps filled in my Old Timer collection (many, many more gaps still need to be filled). The 33OT might even become a regular carrier.

33OT And 77OT Closed.jpg

33OT And 77OT Open.jpg

33OT And 77OT Top.jpg
Dan,
I have a special love for the 77 muskrat, I have used the same one for many years when processing our venison. I keep it really sharp to remove tiny pieces of silver skin or fat from the boneless chops before vacuuming. It’s not near as nice as yours but it still does the job. ::nod::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Floyd and Treefarmer, thank you for the kind words!
USN 2000-2006
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Nice additions to your Old Timer line-up Dan.

::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Thanks, Mike. Another family member should be coming home by week's end!
USN 2000-2006
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

My latest is a USA built Schrade from 2021 and it's the mother of all pull balls. The MOAPB is actually called a Flying Jack and George Schrade patented it in 1937 but never sold any. Bill Schrade built a few and even used his grandfathers tools and stiddy to put them together.
Closed.jpg
Open.jpg
Lock.jpg
Side by Side.jpg
- Jason
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

jxr1197 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:31 am My latest is a USA built Schrade from 2021 and it's the mother of all pull balls. The MOAPB is actually called a Flying Jack and George Schrade patented it in 1937 but never sold any. Bill Schrade built a few and even used his grandfathers tools and stiddy to put them together.
Closed.jpg
Open.jpg
Lock.jpg
Side by Side.jpg
Let me first say....awesome knife.
I'm not real familiar with ball pull knives.
I only have 1 small one.
Does the backspring stick out when the blade is in the closed position?
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

edge213 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:02 am Let me first say....awesome knife.

edge213 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:02 amDoes the backspring stick out when the blade is in the closed position?
It does - the kick spring is proud closed and flush open.
- Jason
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

I've posted this one elsewhere, so I've added another picture to give this post a little more purpose. An 18OT joined the family today. It was in dire need of a cleaning, which was tended to pretty quickly. Some more cleaning, as well as sharpening and polishing of the blade, may be needed. Overall, I'm happy with it.
18OT Mark Side.jpg
18OT Pile Side.jpg
18OT Open.jpg
I also gathered up all of my Old Timers (plus Old Crafty, which is a rebranded 8OT) for a family portrait. Many more family members still need to be located, but I've made a good start!
Old Timer Family Portrait 23 June 2021.jpg
USN 2000-2006
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Good addition to your Old Timer collection Dan.

Looks like you are well on your way to being an Old Timer collector!

::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Thanks, Mike. I am definitely well on the way to becoming an Old Timer collector, and lIkely a hoarder of certain patterns!
USN 2000-2006

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”