My latest Schrade

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
tongueriver

Re: My latest Schrade

Post by tongueriver »

I have quite a number of extra sheaths for the larger folding knives.
bladecollectorr

Post by bladecollectorr »

Meridian_Mike wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:51 pm
tongueriver wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:26 pm It would also be tempting to put it on one's belt.
Did you get the sheath with it?
It seems like a lot of knives that originally came with sheaths wind up on the bay without a sheath. ( ::shrug:: )
Some are OK in your pocket but a bid heavy.
:D
No sheath with this 7OT, Mike and it's definitely a pocket-buster. Its carbon blade does tempt me to put it to use but I probably won't. Quality cutlery does seem to last me near a "lifetime". I have a hard time bringing unused knives into my rotation of users. The dozen or so that I already use just keep going. This one I'm more likely to polish and display.

Cal, I might hit you up for a sheath somewhere down the road. No rush. I won't even get the knife until sometime next month. It's going to my US parcel forwarder to be re-packed with some other purchases. Thanks for the offer.
I don't always respond to great posts but I always appreciate seeing them. Thanks for posting! ::tu::
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Cut Co EZO
Attachments
thumbnail_20200716_163619.jpg
thumbnail_20200716_163659.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

That would be a good one to carry, Ivoryman; I wonder if the Man With No Name had one in his pocket, if for no other reason than to snip the end off his Tipparillos. I dearly love those Spaghetti Westerns.
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Thanks TongueR, you and me both. Clint Eastwood 70's westerns. Doesn't get much better than that. Raised on them. Still watch the re-runs.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is an 8OT sized stockman, black sawcut Delrin handles with a blurry fat etch "Wagon Master/Keen Kutter" and "Schrade/U.S.A. CW-1" stamped into tang.
I think the original "Covered Wagon" came out in 1968 and was therefore Schrade-Walden ? Is this correct ?
When was this Covered Wagon Keen Kutter made ? Was there a repeat of the whole series ?
It comes with original box for only $19.50. I couldn't resist.
kj
Attachments
IMGP9208.JPG
IMGP9209.JPG
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

This one is REALLY nice, Schrade +/U.S.A. 98OT. Because this Old Timer has stainless blades it is basically an 897UH with sawcut Delrin in place of Staglon. I like the saw cut Delrin much more than Staglon which i actually dislike.
Note there is a dot, like a period, stamped in upper, outer corner of the "+". Is this of any meaning ? like a secret club ?
kj
Attachments
IMGP9210.JPG
IMGP9211.JPG
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

"Mint' Kentucky Rifle embellished in Gold bolsters and a gold Kentucky Rifle shield

This one came from my Uncle Barry's Collection. He is deceased now, however, he was in charge of the Custom Knife and Quality Control sections at Schrade. His older brother Harold worked in the Custom Knife Section fir him and his older sister (my Mom) worked fir him in Quality Control. Schrade was truly a family oriented company.
Attachments
20200720_155553.jpg
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

kootenay joe wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:46 am
Note there is a dot, like a period, stamped in upper, outer corner of the "+". Is this of any meaning ? like a secret club ?
kj
Yes, I see that "dot" Roland. I bet it is for secret club membership like you say.
8)
(007)
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Chase wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:12 am "Mint' Kentucky Rifle embellished in Gold bolsters and a gold Kentucky Rifle shield

This one came from my Uncle Barry's Collection. He is deceased now, however, he was in charge of the Custom Knife and Quality Control sections at Schrade. His older brother Harold worked in the Custom Knife Section fir him and his older sister (my Mom) worked fir him in Quality Control. Schrade was truly a family oriented company.
That is a COOL thing to have so many family members that worked at Schrade!
That is a nice knife too!
::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

Serial Number on the Gold Embellished Kentucky Rifle is 0016. I couldn't find any info on how many were produced, however, I do not believe there were many made.

Nothing to substantiate that, just my thoughts on the subject. I have not seen another one, but obviously they are out there based on mine being number 0016.

Tom
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I see the Kentucky Rifle knife is stamped "Schrade" so made after 1972.
Was there a "Covered Wagon" 8OT issued circa 1968 ? or am i mixing up factoids ?
And when was my blurry Covered Wagon knife made ?
kj
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Chase wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:15 pm Serial Number on the Gold Embellished Kentucky Rifle is 0016. I couldn't find any info on how many were produced, however, I do not believe there were many made.

Nothing to substantiate that, just my thoughts on the subject. I have not seen another one, but obviously they are out there based on mine being number 0016.

Tom
Tom that's a beaut! Those were from A G Russell's Knife Collector's Club. It was the inaugural annual knife in I think 1972 (?). There were only twenty five made with the gold bolsters and rifle. I thought that those all had scrolled bolsters in the official version but you might have an extra there that possibly "fell" off the production line before it was engraved. :lol: ::tu::

Eric
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Chase wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:15 pm Serial Number on the Gold Embellished Kentucky Rifle is 0016. I couldn't find any info on how many were produced, however, I do not believe there were many made.

Tom
Tom that's a beaut! Those were from A G Russell's Knife Collector's Club. It was the inaugural annual knife in I think 1972 (?). There were only twenty five made with the gold bolsters and rifle. I thought that those all had scrolled bolsters in the official version but you might have an extra there that possibly "fell" off the production line before it was engraved. :lol: ::tu::
I think Shaw-Liebowitz did the engraving.

Eric
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

Thank you Eric for that information. Only 25 made, that's nice since I have #0016. Too bad mine doesn't have the engraved bolsters too,

Tom
jxr1197
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jxr1197 »

I have never seen a Keen Kutter version of the Covered Wagon before - neat! And that gold Kentucky Rifle is spectacular ::tu::
- Jason
TPK

Post by TPK »

Chase wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:12 am "Mint' Kentucky Rifle embellished in Gold bolsters and a gold Kentucky Rifle shield

:shock: Wow! ::woot:: VERY COOL KNIFE TOM!!! ::nod:: ::tu:: ::super_happy::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
Hak1911

Post by Hak1911 »

Found a Bone to pick.... picked bone I should say. A 834 it is. My first.
Attachments
402BB176-D613-4DED-869E-884B93B8A2BC.jpeg
10906AFF-1A27-4DBD-968A-5475105E8D84.jpeg
2B50DDA5-1CBB-45B4-86C3-7D7A0C69BD2A.jpeg
9FD75822-42CC-40A7-8FA7-9E6B0CD9E8D3.jpeg
9EEAF604-AEDA-46F8-834F-7C26E73A0552.jpeg
EA244CEB-4536-432E-8213-65EB4D95EF1B.jpeg
Looking for a user Schrade CutCo 8813 ......
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

I like it. Love bone ::tu::
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Schrade Walden. Don't know the year, but pretty sure it's from the good peach seed era like nobody's making these days.
Attachments
thumbnail_20200808_135603.jpg
thumbnail_20200808_135613.jpg
thumbnail_20200808_135521.jpg
thumbnail_20200808_135505.jpg
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Another beautiful knife! ::tu::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Very nice 294! You are right; no one is jigging bone like that.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Something special about those old knives and that is a wonderful example. ::nod:: ::tu::
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Thanks gents, I don't know when they were making these, but the smooth silky action and the perfect snap with the zero movement at all when open is something. This acts and feels and pretty much looks like a custom costing several hundred smackers. Hat's off to the Schrade employees who put this together. I have other Schrades that are sweet, but none of them feel like this movement and action or are as dead centered and tight in all the right places. Sometimes they come out perfect.
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

That is a beauty, Ivoryman. I like the action on the old Schrades, too. No nail breakers, and even after more than half a century they usually still have snap.
Mel

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”