My latest Schrade

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
Meridian_Mike

Re: My latest Schrade

Post by Meridian_Mike »

PappyOpap wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:38 pm I have a brother-in-law who is a radical Alabama Football/Bear Bryant fan. He has a ton of memorabilia, and typically accumulates even more Roll Tide articles for Christmas and birthdays each year. I had this knife, and customized the box as a gift to him a few years ago. It has been one of his favorite pieces so far.
NICE knife....

AND....ROLL TIDE!!!

:D
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:30 pm It did turn out to be a keeper.
Sure is. A very nice 33OT!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Dan In MI wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:00 am Sure.....
Thank you, Dan. 🍻
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
ea42

Post by ea42 »

mumblypeg wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:58 pm
ea42 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:42 pm
mumblypeg wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:42 am

I have a couple of these that I got from Eric. They are to grind the nail nick into the blade. The plate holds the blade in place while grinding.

It's actually a gauge, it isn't used for the grinding at all. It's used to check that the nail marks are stamped into the proper area of the blade. If you take that blade off the ring and rest it on the pins in the back of the gauge with the lower pin resting in the back square of the tang and the blade back resting against the other two pins, the nail mark should be perfectly centered in the little "window" with the flat of the nail mark perfectly even with the top edge of the "window". The gauge was also used to make sure the the blades themselves were stamped out of the strip steel correctly.

This one is a nail mark and tang stamp gauge:

Schrade Muskrat Tang Stamp and Nailmark Gauge 4.jpg

Schrade Muskrat Tang Stamp and Nailmark Gauge 3.jpg

Eric
My mistake. I must have misunderstood the description on eBay.

Rich no problem, my explanations are often lacking lol ::dang::

Eric
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

ea42 wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:33 pm my explanations are often lacking lol ::dang:: Eric
You can say that again, Eric; how am I supposed to use this dang thang?
cs3.jpg
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

tongueriver wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:52 pm You can say that again, Eric; how am I supposed to use this dang thang?
cs3.jpg
GOOD GOLLY.... that is a BEAUTIFUL knife!!

:shock: ::tu::
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

I purchased these from our friend Cal aka:tongueriver. I had been wanting a Schrade 163 Rope knife, and wound up getting two. The first a Schrade Walden N.Y. U.S.A. with the model number stamped on the pile side of the blade. The second is a Schrade Walden N.Y. U.S.A. with model number on the mark side. It has the serrated blade and bale on the handle. Both knives have gator snap on the blades.

The 163 without the bail has a medallion in the handle which reads "Wall Rope" est. 1830. Wall Rope Works was based out of Beverly, New Jersey, with a 1,700 foot-long facility which was the largest in the U.S. The company supplied rope products for the military beginning with the Spanish-American War and was of major importance, during the First World War, WW-II, and its products were used in the construction of the Kennedy Space Center. The last year I can find information on operation was in 1965.

The 163 with the bail and serrated blade has handles stamped with "The Cordage Group". Still researching that one.
Schrade W 163 pair_a.JPG
Schrade W 163 pair_b.JPG
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Those rope knives are really cool. Considering my naval background, that's a pattern I should start chasing.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Unless you are comfortable with a new nickname, "Stub," these bad boys don't allow much for operator error. :D
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

tongueriver wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:16 pm Unless you are comfortable with a new nickname, "Stub," these bad boys don't allow much for operator error. :D
Got that right, sounds like a small bear trap when closed. ::woot::

Smitty
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Added this one to my Schrade EDC group. I fished it out of the bay last week. Just now finished cleaning her up. It had rust, as well as crud in the blade wells, and blades were stiff. Gave it the usual warm mineral oil bath, flush and cleaning the blade wells. 4 000 wool on the blades and bolsters. I saw potential for a good EDC and here she is. 3-3/8 inch closed Jack Knife. Schrade Cut. Co. Walden N.Y. tang stamp on both blades putting it in the era from the 1920's to about 1945. Both blades have strong half stops, yes the blades are worn, yes they have spots & some pits, but now has surprisingly good snap, smooth opening and just a smidge (yes smidge is a technical term) of wobble on the secondary pen. The bone handles are pocket worn with good color, but no cracks. It has three brass pins, long bolster, steel liners and didn't come with a shield, so I believe this is a pattern L2153. I have sharpened the blades, oiled the joints and now have a great little EDC Schrade. Here are some photos, the last one from a 1926 Schrade catalog
Schrade Cut. Co. Walden,N.Y. jack_a.JPG
Schrade Cut. Co. Walden,N.Y. jack_b2.JPG
Schrade Cut. Co. Walden,N.Y. jack_c.JPG
Schrade Cut. Co. Walden,N.Y. jack_d.JPG
SCCO L2153 jack knife.JPG

Smitty
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

All 3 of your new additions are NICE!

Congrats on the finds!

::tu::
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Papa Bones wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:01 am I.....
Papa Bones wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:20 pm Added.....
FANTASTIC additions, Smitty! ::tu:: ::tu::

Skip
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Late '60s, early '70s 204S.
20220420_142237.jpg

However, it's technically a free knife. It was supposed to be an older 204 in cocobolo. Seller said she would mail me the correct knife tomorrow; and I would not have to return this one at all. I am guessing this may be partly because I noticed it had somewhat lazy snap on the screwdriver (I think a clean-out will fix it) and the lock is pretty badly mangled.

I emailed one of the mechanics here about having it cut-down into a one-blade, but for the time being, it will join the cocobolo 204S with badly pitted blades in the user pile. The woodgrain Delrin shouldn't be as bad as black Camillus Delrin when my hands are sweaty, wet, or soaked in oil/grease.

Camillus are really outpacing Schrades as users--I've now retired almost all my old Schrades, and that's something that needs to change. This ain't a shelf queen in the condition it's in, and I can use it without qualms.
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Meridian_Mike wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:37 pm All 3 of your new additions are NICE!

Congrats on the finds!
Thanks Mike.

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:08 pm
FANTASTIC additions, Smitty! ::tu:: ::tu::
Thank you Skip.

Smitty
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

cody6268 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:54 pm Late '60s, early '70s 204S.

20220420_142237.jpg

However, it's technically a free knife. It was supposed to be an older 204 in cocobolo. Seller said she would mail me the correct knife tomorrow; and I would not have to return this one at all. I am guessing this may be partly because I noticed it had somewhat lazy snap on the screwdriver (I think a clean-out will fix it) and the lock is pretty badly mangled.

I emailed one of the mechanics here about having it cut-down into a one-blade, but for the time being, it will join the cocobolo 204S with badly pitted blades in the user pile. The woodgrain Delrin shouldn't be as bad as black Camillus Delrin when my hands are sweaty, wet, or soaked in oil/grease.

Camillus are really outpacing Schrades as users--I've now retired almost all my old Schrades, and that's something that needs to change. This ain't a shelf queen in the condition it's in, and I can use it without qualms.
Congrats Cody, and good to hear the seller is going to make it right. I'm sure that one will clean up nicely. Soak it in some mineral oil for a bit and work the blades. Cut you a piece of green scotchbrite and clean the blade well out, then flush it out with some wd40 reworking the blades. Then blow it out and wiper her down & oil the joints. It may bring the snap back and sometimes it's surprising what you will flush out of blade wells. I've always said WD40 ain't worth a cent as a lubricant, but it's a pretty good cleaner on metal.

Smitty
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Papa Bones wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:20 pm Added this one to my Schrade EDC group. I fished it out of the bay last week. Just now finished cleaning her up. It had rust, as well as crud in the blade wells, and blades were stiff. Gave it the usual warm mineral oil bath, flush and cleaning the blade wells. 4 000 wool on the blades and bolsters. I saw potential for a good EDC and here she is. 3-3/8 inch closed Jack Knife. Schrade Cut. Co. Walden N.Y. tang stamp on both blades putting it in the era from the 1920's to about 1945. Both blades have strong half stops, yes the blades are worn, yes they have spots & some pits, but now has surprisingly good snap, smooth opening and just a smidge (yes smidge is a technical term) of wobble on the secondary pen. The bone handles are pocket worn with good color, but no cracks. It has three brass pins, long bolster, steel liners and didn't come with a shield, so I believe this is a pattern L2153. I have sharpened the blades, oiled the joints and now have a great little EDC Schrade. Here are some photos, the last one from a 1926 Schrade catalog

David
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

DM11 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:25 am
Papa Bones wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:20 pm Added this one to my Schrade EDC group. I fished it out of the bay last week. Just now finished cleaning her up. It had rust, as well as crud in the blade wells, and blades were stiff. Gave it the usual warm mineral oil bath, flush and cleaning the blade wells. 4 000 wool on the blades and bolsters. I saw potential for a good EDC and here she is. 3-3/8 inch closed Jack Knife. Schrade Cut. Co. Walden N.Y. tang stamp on both blades putting it in the era from the 1920's to about 1945. Both blades have strong half stops, yes the blades are worn, yes they have spots & some pits, but now has surprisingly good snap, smooth opening and just a smidge (yes smidge is a technical term) of wobble on the secondary pen. The bone handles are pocket worn with good color, but no cracks. It has three brass pins, long bolster, steel liners and didn't come with a shield, so I believe this is a pattern L2153. I have sharpened the blades, oiled the joints and now have a great little EDC Schrade. Here are some photos, the last one from a 1926 Schrade catalog

Thanks David!

Smitty
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

A new Schrade joined my horde (or is that hoard?) yesterday: this 33OT. It's been previously carried, and will be carried regularly under my ownership. Thanks to GSPTOPDOG for another great knife!
33OT No. 2 Mark Side.jpg
33OT No. 2 Pile Side.jpg
33OT No. 2 Open.jpg
33OT No. 2 Tang Stamp.jpg
USN 2000-2006
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Dan In MI wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:02 am A new Schrade joined my horde (or is that hoard?) yesterday: this 33OT. It's been previously carried, and will be carried regularly under my ownership. Thanks to GSPTOPDOG for another great knife!
The 33OT makes a great EDC. At around 3-5/16" it is a good size. ::nod::

Smitty
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Dan In MI wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:02 am A.....
Nice 33OT, Dan. ::tu:: ::tu::

Skip
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Thank you, Smitty and Skip! That 33OT is definitely earning its keep.
USN 2000-2006
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

Got a couple of 206 Barlows this week. One is a stock knife with smooth delrin handles that looks brand new to me. The other is one of Jeffin's knives with jigged mahogany bone handles. It's a beauty that I ordered on Friday and received on Monday. Have bought a number of knives from Jeff and love them all.
Attachments
1.jpg
4.jpg
1.jpg
3.jpg
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

CluelessNick wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:24 pm Got a couple of 206 Barlows this week. One is a stock knife with smooth delrin handles that looks brand new to me. The other is one of Jeffin's knives with jigged mahogany bone handles. It's a beauty that I ordered on Friday and received on Monday. Have bought a number of knives from Jeff and love them all.
Couple of good looking Schrade Barlows Nick. Jeffin did a great job on that one. A beauty for sure. ::tu::

Smitty
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Added another addition to my Steelies and G.Schrade family, A Stainless Steel hawk bill pruning knife. It is 3-1/8" closed not including the eyelet. The tang stamp is G.SCHRADE KNIFE CO. INC over B'PORT.CT.USA over STAINLESS. The blade has an etch with SUPERTEX RIBBON CO. over DON O'CONNEL. The body of the frame is stamped in script with "Say It With Flowers"underlined over STAINLESS STEEL. I'm figuring it was a promotional give-a-way knife. The knife is like new, great snap, doesn't appear to have been re-sharpend, and just has a few spots on the blade. The blade is high polished and the body is a brushed finish. Not sure of the age of this one. The only thing I could find on Supertex Ribbon Co. was in New York City & was established in 1955, then around 1971 was re-established as SuperTex Textiles Inc. which was dissolved in 1993. Here are some pictures, all this knife needed was to oil the joints.
GSchrade HBP ss_a.JPG
GSchrade HBP ss_b.JPG
GSchrade HBP ss_c.JPG
GSchrade HBP ss_d.JPG

Smitty

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”