My latest Schrade

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: My latest Schrade

Post by Papa Bones »

doglegg wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:56 am
::tu:: ::tu::
Meridian_Mike wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:32 pm
SWEET find!

I wasn't aware that Schrade put the Master Mechanic brand on the Uncle Henry format.

(I am just stuck in Old Timer mode I guess.....LOL)

royal0014 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:03 pm Picked up that exact same knife in Dalton last month ... ::tu::

koldgold wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:32 pm
I have the same MM 897 Master Mechanic, in the Uncle Henry format [Blade etch "MAC" for MAC Tools.
[/quote]

Appreciate it guys. Yes Koldgold, I have the MAC" also, I found last year. I had seen one like this one a few months ago, but was in kinda rough shape. This one I jumped on.
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
koldgold
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by koldgold »

Papa Bones wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:39 pm
doglegg wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:56 am
Meridian_Mike wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:32 pm
SWEET find!

I wasn't aware that Schrade put the Master Mechanic brand on the Uncle Henry format.

(I am just stuck in Old Timer mode I guess.....LOL)

royal0014 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:03 pm Picked up that exact same knife in Dalton last month ... ::tu::

koldgold wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:32 pm
I have the same MM 897 Master Mechanic, in the Uncle Henry format [Blade etch "MAC" for MAC Tools.
Appreciate it guys. Yes Koldgold, I have the MAC" also, I found last year. I had seen one like this one a few months ago, but was in kinda rough shape. This one I jumped on.
[/quote]
The Uncle Henry 897 knives also came in a set. The early knives were stamped stainless - the later knives were stamped " + "

About 2002 - 2003 Schrade made a special ordered set of Blue Bone knives - containing an 897.
This order was never finished, and some single finished knives have turned up from time to time.
Most of the Blue Bone knives, I have seen were unfinished... Ken
Attachments
Uncle Henry - 167 UH & 897 UH SET
Uncle Henry - 167 UH & 897 UH SET
HI FROM AUSTRALIA
A.A.P.N. # 5197: Member of Australian & U.S Blade Forums...KEN -
I collect Schrade knives - made in the U.S.A.- I like the 8OT
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

That is a very nice display Ken!

Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us!

::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Added this one to my Schrade Walden family this week. A Schrade Walden 219 3-1/8" Serpentine Jack. Schrade Walden N.Y. U.S.A. tang stamp (pre 1973) , Schrade Shield, Delrin handles with Clip master and pen secondary blade. Very little use, full blades and great snap.
Schrade Walden 219_a.JPG
Schrade Walden 219_b.JPG
Schrade Walden 219_c.JPG

Smitty
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Nice one, Smitty!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Dan In MI wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:07 pm Nice one, Smitty!
Thanks Dan.

Smitty
TPK

Post by TPK »

Papa Bones wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:36 am Added this one to my Schrade Walden family this week. A Schrade Walden 219 3-1/8" Serpentine Jack. Schrade Walden N.Y. U.S.A. tang stamp (pre 1973) , Schrade Shield, Delrin handles with Clip master and pen secondary blade. Very little use, full blades and great snap.
Sweet find Smitty! ::tu:: I really like that one! ::nod:: :D
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Finally received this one late yesterday evening. It is a Schrade U.S.A. tang stamp 708B. A 2-3/4" Serpentine Pen knife, it has the smooth black delrin handles with the Cadillac Emblem Shield.On the mark side, the clip blade has a Schrade U.S.A. tang stamp (without the model number) with a blade etch of "Cadillac Craftsman", and on the pile side it has the model number. This one is like new and came in the plastic view box with all inserts. No use evident on the blades and great snap.

I have seen two variations of this knife. One like mine, and one that has the black sawcut delrin handles, with an oval shield with the Cadillac Emblem molded in, and has the Schrade U.S.A. with the model number on the mark side of the clip blade. I believe that one may have been a later issue. On a side note, there is also a Stainless Steel framed pen knife also, that has "Cadillac Craftsman" etched on the frame. I talked with the seller of this knife and asked her if she knew any background on this knife. This knife belonged to a relative Who worked for General Motors Corp until he retired around 1975. He was a certified AC/HVAC and Electrical Technician. According to her he said they received this knife sometime during the last couple of years before he retired, and that all trained technicians received one. I know J.P. aka Ripster and I had talked about one he had posted and the significance of what the Shield and tang stamp could have been for. So according to this info, It helps clear it up a bit. Sounds like it was a Thank-You gift from General Motors to their Technicians, and this particular variation was from around the 1973 to 74 time frame.

UPDATE Sorry Guys, I had to do an update. For some reason when I was typing all this, I misquoted and had to correct myself. The lady I talked to said the original owner of the knife had worked for General Motors as a technician, certified on AC/Hvac and electrical. For some reason my mind switched to Ford while typing, I own a lot of Fords and I guess my mind and fingers just went dyslexic. I guess I need to learn to proof read my own posts. Thanks koldgold for catching my error, and sorry for the confusion on my part.
schrade usa 708b cad craft_a.JPG
schrade usa 708b cad craft_b.JPG
schrade usa 708b cad craft_c2.JPG
schrade usa 708b cad craft_d.JPG
Here is a picture of the other variation.
Schrade 708B CC sawcut delrin.jpg

Smitty
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Papa Bones wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:02 pm Finally received this one late yesterday evening. It is a Schrade U.S.A. tang stamp 708B. A 2-3/4" Serpentine Pen knife, it has the smooth black delrin handles with the Cadillac Emblem Shield.On the mark side, the clip blade has a Schrade U.S.A. tang stamp (without the model number) with a blade etch of "Cadillac Craftsman", and on the pile side it has the model number. This one is like new and came in the plastic view box with all inserts. No use evident on the blades and great snap.

I have seen two variations of this knife. One like mine, and one that has the black sawcut delrin handles, with an oval shield with the Cadillac Emblem molded in, and has the Schrade U.S.A. with the model number on the mark side of the clip blade. I believe that one may have been a later issue. On a side note, there is also a Stainless Steel framed pen knife also, that has "Cadillac Craftsman" etched on the frame. I talked with the seller of this knife and asked her if she knew any background on this knife. This knife belonged to a relative Who worked for Ford Motor Company until he retired around 1975. He was a certified AC/HVAC and Electrical Technician. According to her he said they received this knife sometime during the last couple of years before he retired, and that all trained technicians received one. I know J.P. aka Ripster and I had talked about one he had posted and the significance of what the Shield and tang stamp could have been for. So according to this info, It helps clear it up a bit. Sounds like it was a Thank-You gift from Ford to their Technicians, and this particular variation was from around the 1973 to 74 time frame.

Very nice Smitty ::tu:: ::tu:: With some history added to our Caddy / craftsman pieces . The time frame is correct . He very well could’ve received this at the very end of his career which would’ve coincided with Cadillac and there 50 year ? Anniversary. There was 3 different time frames they had knives made that were intended to go to the techs and engineers . Will have to look for my info stored somewhere. The knife has been passed on to a Friend who’s into old Cadillac cars and stuff . Think Anvil made one anniversary model . Schrade as we know ,and can’t remember the Manufacture of the other Anniversary model off hand . Thanks for adding the info and great pics. Hope all is well with you and yours down there my Friend. Enjoy your day ::handshake::
P.S. Believe Cadillac also had one made for Fischer Body personnel and gave it to them as a Excellence Award . Not sure what year off hand but will check on that .
JP
koldgold
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by koldgold »

"This knife belonged to a relative Who worked for Ford Motor Company until he retired around 1975.
He was a certified AC/HVAC and Electrical Technician. According to her he said they received this knife sometime during the last couple of years before he retired, and that all trained technicians received one."

Can someone explain, why a Ford Motor Company employee would be given a knife with a Cadillac Emblem Shield on it. ::shrug:: Ken
HI FROM AUSTRALIA
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

koldgold wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:01 pm "This knife belonged to a relative Who worked for Ford Motor Company until he retired around 1975.
He was a certified AC/HVAC and Electrical Technician. According to her he said they received this knife sometime during the last couple of years before he retired, and that all trained technicians received one."

Can someone explain, why a Ford Motor Company employee would be given a knife with a Cadillac Emblem Shield on it. ::shrug:: ::shrug:: ::shrug:: Ken
Good Question. As stated they had been made to give to techs,engineers etc. Not sure he was given it by Ford ,or what,maybe he had other acquaintances in the industry . They were not specific to a manufacturer but the individual Craftsman . Why Ford ,Good Question,Gm can understand ,we may not know,” the rest of the story “ as Paul Harvey used to say . ::shrug:: If anyone could shed more light would be interested to hear about it .
JP
koldgold
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by koldgold »

In Australia I worked for 40 years on Rolls-Royce [made in the UK]

I also worker on the American Rolls-Royce's. Lincoln made by Ford and Cadillac made by GM. Ken
HI FROM AUSTRALIA
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

koldgold wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:06 pm In Australia I worked for 40 years on Rolls-Royce [made in the UK]

I also worker on the American Rolls-Royce's. Lincoln made by Ford and Cadillac made by GM. Ken
Did Rolls ever do any kind of SFO thru Schrade or another cutlery Co. Just curious. You have been part of the best Era of Car building I’m my opinion .
Rolls Royce was about the best around ::tu::
JP
koldgold
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by koldgold »

I do not think Rolls-Royce ever did any kind of SFO with knives. It took Packard to build a better engine.[for your Fighter Planes]

I started work in 1959, I did my apprenticeship under my Father, a very skilled engineer.
I often think of the Old Ford side-vale V8's, two days hard work for a vale grind and tune up.
I drove and worked on all the Super Cars from 60's and 70's - often looking for big horse power [700+]
Carburettors were always a challenge: The big block US engines with 3x2 barrels and 2x4 barrels.
The 12 cylinder Ferrari's had 6x2 barrels. Yes they were the days... Ken
HI FROM AUSTRALIA
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Papa Bones wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:02 pm Finally received this one late yesterday evening. It is a Schrade U.S.A. tang stamp 708B. A 2-3/4" Serpentine Pen knife, it has the smooth black delrin handles with the Cadillac Emblem Shield.On the mark side, the clip blade has a Schrade U.S.A. tang stamp (without the model number) with a blade etch of "Cadillac Craftsman", and on the pile side it has the model number. This one is like new and came in the plastic view box with all inserts. No use evident on the blades and great snap.

I have seen two variations of this knife. One like mine, and one that has the black sawcut delrin handles, with an oval shield with the Cadillac Emblem molded in, and has the Schrade U.S.A. with the model number on the mark side of the clip blade. I believe that one may have been a later issue. On a side note, there is also a Stainless Steel framed pen knife also, that has "Cadillac Craftsman" etched on the frame. I talked with the seller of this knife and asked her if she knew any background on this knife. This knife belonged to a relative Who worked for General until he retired around 1975. He was a certified AC/HVAC and Electrical Technician. According to her he said they received this knife sometime during the last couple of years before he retired, and that all trained technicians received one. I know J.P. aka Ripster and I had talked about one he had posted and the significance of what the Shield and tang stamp could have been for. So according to this info, It helps clear it up a bit. Sounds like it was a Thank-You gift from General Motors to their Technicians, and this particular variation was from around the 1973 to 74 time frame.

Sorry guys I misquoted in my original post. I need to start proof reading my own posts. For some reason my mind switched to Ford as I was typing, I guess because I own two Ford trucks and have over many years. My mind and fingers must have went dyslexic for a minute. But she did say for General Motors and he was a certified tech on AC/HVAC systems and Electrical until he retired, which I assumed he worked at a Dealership that either also sold Cadillacs or the service department was certified also on Cadillacs. I have corrected it. Sorry for the confusion caused on my part.

Smitty
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

koldgold wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:01 pm "This knife belonged to a relative Who worked for Ford Motor Company until he retired around 1975.

Can someone explain, why a Ford Motor Company employee would be given a knife with a Cadillac Emblem Shield on it. ::shrug:: Ken
Sorry koldgold, that was my mistake in typing. She did say General Motors. For some reason my mind clicked to Ford while typing, I guess because most of my automobiles I have owned have been Fords. Sometimes I get dyslexic fingers. ::shrug:: I guess I need to learn to proof read my own posts. Sorry for the confusion.

Smitty
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Very cool Cadillac Schrade, Smitty. You've been hitting some grand slams lately!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
koldgold
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by koldgold »

At my age Papa Bones, I know all about dyslexic fingers.
Henry Ford did own Cadillac, for a short time - about the same time Schrade started to make knives.
HI FROM AUSTRALIA
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Dan In MI wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:51 am Very cool Cadillac Schrade, Smitty. You've been hitting some grand slams lately!
Times 2!!

Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Dan In MI wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:51 am Very cool Cadillac Schrade, Smitty. You've been hitting some grand slams lately!
Meridian_Mike wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:44 pm
Times 2!!

Appreciate it guys!

Smitty
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Well, here is my latest Schrade.....

I saw this one on the bay today and thought it looked interesting so I snagged it. It is a NUMBERED Ingersoll - Rand Anniversary 8OT knife.
I guess it was given to employees (maybe) for the 125th anniversary. Pretty cool. It has the number (looks like) 12136 stamped on the bolster.
It also has a gold plated looking shield with the "1871 to 1996 and 125" embossed on it.
On the pile side is "The Classic IR231" which is an impact wrench. "The gold standard for 25 years".... :)

The tang is stamped with the "8OT" model of the Old Timer line.

Sellers pics......

INGERSOL 1.jpg
INGERSOL 2.jpg
INGERSOL 3.jpg
INGERSOL 4.jpg

:D
Coinfolio
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Coinfolio »

Meridian_Mike wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:12 pm Well, here is my latest Schrade.....

I saw this one on the bay today and thought it looked interesting so I snagged it. It is a NUMBERED Ingersoll - Rand Anniversary 8OT knife.
I guess it was given to employees (maybe) for the 125th anniversary. Pretty cool. It has the number (looks like) 12136 stamped on the bolster.
It also has a gold plated looking shield with the "1871 to 1996 and 125" embossed on it.
On the pile side is "The Classic IR231" which is an impact wrench. "The gold standard for 25 years".... :)

Sellers pics......

INGERSOL 1.jpg
INGERSOL 2.jpg
INGERSOL 3.jpg
INGERSOL 4.jpg

Really interesting and looks to be in nice shape as well!
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

Meridian_Mike wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:12 pm Well, here is my latest Schrade.....

Sellers pics......

These were packaged with a special edition impact gun
IR231.jpg
- Jason
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

WOW.....

Thanks for adding that Jason. You are the man!

LOL.... I was wondering if it came with a presentation box.
I guess it did, but it was a BIG box with an impact wrench included with the knife!

:lol:
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Sellers pics......

Cool looking 8OT Mike. ::tu:: Look forward to seeing more when you get it in.

Smitty

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”