My latest Schrade

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
tongueriver

Re: My latest Schrade

Post by tongueriver »

Thanks for the kind thoughts from all!
KAW

Post by KAW »

Got this one this week & just have to post...

a Schrade−Walden MoP Lobster № 877 in its original gift box!... and was promptly shoved in a drawer for the next 62+ years...
as the original paper (which appears to be printed on tissue wrapping paper as it is so thin) states, this knife was made in the Walden, NY factory.
Looking thru the catalogs at http://www.collectors-of-schrades-r.us/, the last year this knife was offer was in 1957...

11526 11523 11525 11524
'til later....
Ken

10031 means.... never having a dull moment. 8)
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

That's a lovely knife, Ken!
bladecollectorr

Post by bladecollectorr »

KAW wrote:Got this one this week & just have to post...

a Schrade−Walden MoP Lobster № 877 in its original gift box!... and was promptly shoved in a drawer for the next 62+ years...
as the original paper (which appears to be printed on tissue wrapping paper as it is so thin) states, this knife was made in the Walden, NY factory.
Looking thru the catalogs at http://www.collectors-of-schrades-r.us/, the last year this knife was offer was in 1957...
Congrats on the 877. It's one of my personal favorites. I have a mint Craftsman in it's original brown leather snap-purse and another with staining on the blades that I carry and use. Ultra-thin, attractive and useful pattern. MOP is classy stuff.

I was watching that auction too but didn't pull the trigger. I'm glad it made someone iridescently happy!

(A tip for other MOP collectors: I was able to bring back the original luster to my "user" 877 by wet-polishing (under water) with 7000 then 10000 grit wet sandpaper, purging water with WD40, drying with micro-fibre cloth and lastly, finishing with Flitz polish and more micro-fibre cloth. Worked great!)
Attachments
MOP and Coke - even crop.jpg
I don't always respond to great posts but I always appreciate seeing them. Thanks for posting! ::tu::
KAW

Post by KAW »

Thanks Cal...
bladecollectorr... Nice grouping you have there! ::tu::
Last weekend, while still waiting for this 877 to arrive, I came across another at an antique show. Obviously used but still in decent condition & for only $20, but I passed on it. Now I wished I picked it up as a "user" as this one is going to remain in the gift box.
'til later....
Ken

10031 means.... never having a dull moment. 8)
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Not in great condition but still the only example of a Schrade Walden 3OT I’ve run across. Looks nice closed on the Mark side however the pile side is cracked and has been repaired, the main Sheepfoot blade is worn and the secondary Pen blade is broken. I don’t usually buy a knife in this condition, but I’m glad to own a 3OT just to lay on my desk. OH
Attachments
22B63400-4144-45E1-95B5-DFE1FD1727A6.jpeg
B6693260-3F13-4A00-8CAB-F2D361A42069.jpeg
A619D707-3EA2-4D7A-9618-E0D45C14F3CF.jpeg
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Good score! As far as I know, the 3OT is the rarest Schrade Walden (of consequence) ever made. I am aware of exactly two since I have been following the genre in 2007.
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

Great find OH
That is only the third 3 OT I have seen.

Your knife
A corroded POS rusted out version
And My Mint Schrade Factory Collection 3 OT

Congrats...they are rarer than hen's teeth

Tom
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Old Hunter wrote:Not in great condition but still the only example of a Schrade Walden 3OT I’ve run across. Looks nice closed on the Mark side however the pile side is cracked and has been repaired, the main Sheepfoot blade is worn and the secondary Pen blade is broken. I don’t usually buy a knife in this condition, but I’m glad to own a 3OT just to lay on my desk. OH

I haven't even heard of the 3OT; only its sibling the 2OT. I'm familiar with the 3OT "Bearhead" a lockback, but that's it.

I guess that 3OT is pretty much mythical in rarity.
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Just got these two at the post office. A "cleaned" Geo Schrade wire handle Hawkbill Pruner (before pics posted in "Knife Lore" forum, under the "wirejacks" thread. The next is a Geo Schrade/Boker Tree Brand "Hunting & Fishing" knife.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Fished this little NOS Schrade 863 out of the bay recently.
DSCN6022.JPG
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

And your fish,doglegg, doesn't even need to be cleaned. Nice catch.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

And your fish,doglegg, doesn't even need to be cleaned. Nice catch.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Thanks QS and very witty. :lol: :lol: ::tounge::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The 863 is a great pattern. I would like to see it with blades open. I have forgotten how it differs from the 861 which later became the 61OT.
kj
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

kootenay joe wrote:The 863 is a great pattern. I would like to see it with blades open. I have forgotten how it differs from the 861 which later became the 61OT.
kj
Thinking outside the box. This one is available, if'n I can find it.
863001 (Large).jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

kootenay joe wrote:The 863 is a great pattern. I would like to see it with blades open. I have forgotten how it differs from the 861 which later became the 61OT.
kj
Roland, it is exactly like the Camillus 72 and the Ulster 63. The are all identical. The 861 is longer, I think it is 4''. The 863 just a little over 3 1/2.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thank you both. My memory for Schrade details is now full of holes and i am away from my own knives so i cannot check them for the answer to my question.
kj
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I recently picked up a "paratrooper" style Schrade switch, took some pictures of it with the Presto I have that works perfectly but has had the spring replaced and the blade re-shaped. Black plastic scales and no bail, almost looks like this model didn't come with a bail? ::shrug:: I would guess this knife was made more recently than the 50's by the condition it's in? ::shrug:: I appreciate any info you can pass along as to the bail and when it was made. ::handshake::
Attachments
IMG_20190724_203112629.jpg
IMG_20190724_203155361.jpg
IMG_20190724_203212999.jpg
IMG_20190724_203223721.jpg
IMG_20190724_203259874.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

After a certain day in 1958 no more switchblades were manufactured in the U.S. (or sold or owned), by law. This does not include the disposable orange uglies made for the military.
bladecollectorr

Post by bladecollectorr »

Here's the first 5-1/4" clasp knife (275) to be added to my Schrade collection. Centre-piece knife for the "Thirteen Colonies" Bicentennial set. 3000 total sets made for Parker in 1976. Nice popcorn-y burnt stag. Now I guess I "need" the other 6 expensive variants. Mixed blessing lol
Attachments
01.jpg
02.jpg
I don't always respond to great posts but I always appreciate seeing them. Thanks for posting! ::tu::
black mamba

Post by black mamba »

I just got this mint in box 227UH for a decent price. I figure it's an '80s knife, but does anyone know the years that Schrade used this brown box? I like to date them as accurately as possible.
227UHwBox.jpg
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

black mamba wrote:I just got this mint in box 227UH for a decent price. I figure it's an '80s knife, but does anyone know the years that Schrade used this brown box? I like to date them as accurately as possible.

227UHwBox.jpg
Nice one Jeff. The brown boxes were used up into the 80's but I'm not sure exactly when they stopped.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

This is the info I have on Schrade boxes. I would suppose the brown box was used up until 1985
SCHRADE BOXES.jpg
SCHRADE BOXES.jpg (33.14 KiB) Viewed 3167 times
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”