My latest Schrade

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
cody6268

Re: My latest Schrade

Post by cody6268 »

An 8OT. Looked used and carried in the listings, but I suspect it wasn't used, and wasn't carried--just stored poorly. Blades are still sharp, and I see traces of factory oil, but the blades have carbon spots. I paid $25 for it. I bought it to carry, but don't think I will. There's a bit more worn, slightly older Old Crafty take on the 8OT (Sears Craftsman 9547) in the store here I may just pick up to carry instead. There are becoming fewer and fewer mint/near-mint 8OTs these days, and what's out there now is getting out of the reasonably priced category.
KIMG3826.JPG
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Great find Cody, congrats. Really like the 8OT. Here are mine. Yours here with unused blades is great. Agreed, all kinds of knives that used to be cheap now not so anymore. Resurgence in popularity of the traditional American made knives.
Attachments
thumbnail_20200819_092756.jpg
thumbnail_20200819_092910.jpg
thumbnail_20200819_092957.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Hey there Schrade fans,got a question for you? Picked up this 163 last week , don’t know much about it . It was 13 bucks so grabbed it ,thinking it’s worth that for sure. So does Schrade label this a Pruner ,Hawlbill ? Seen a couple referred to as Rope knife,but don’t think so on that one? And does the Bail, shackle, look factory . It’s all steel liners,pins,bolsters. Snaps and bites! The bail, the more I look at it ,doesn’t seem right for this period of piece.
Thank you if able to answer questions.
Attachments
AAB4D23A-E8D0-4E7C-B92E-EDEBE91E6D5A.jpeg
C5A003C0-691A-485A-BD55-D00704E54EBF.jpeg
JP
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Ripster wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:34 pm Hey there Schrade fans,got a question for you? Picked up this 163 last week , don’t know much about it . It was 13 bucks so grabbed it ,thinking it’s worth that for sure. So does Schrade label this a Pruner ,Hawlbill ? Seen a couple referred to as Rope knife,but don’t think so on that one? And does the Bail, shackle, look factory . It’s all steel liners,pins,bolsters. Snaps and bites! The bail, the more I look at it ,doesn’t seem right for this period of piece.
The research section on Schrade here calls it a "Linesman's Skinning Knife", but it's a hawkbill. I have a box all of my hawkbill knives go in (minus the TL-29 types that have a hawkbill as a main or additional blade), whether they be intended for electrical work or pruning.
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

cody6268 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:39 pm
Ripster wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:34 pm Hey there Schrade fans,got a question for you? Picked up this 163 last week , don’t know much about it . It was 13 bucks so grabbed it ,thinking it’s worth that for sure. So does Schrade label this a Pruner ,Hawlbill ? Seen a couple referred to as Rope knife,but don’t think so on that one? And does the Bail, shackle, look factory . It’s all steel liners,pins,bolsters. Snaps and bites! The bail, the more I look at it ,doesn’t seem right for this period of piece.
The research section on Schrade here calls it a "Linesman's Skinning Knife", but it's a hawkbill. I have a box all of my hawkbill knives go in (minus the TL-29 types that have a hawkbill as a main or additional blade), whether they be intended for electrical work or pruning.
Thanks Cody ::tu::
Now can if I can remember that long name! Want to call it a hawkbill still . It’s good to know what the Manufacturer calls it ,Appreciate it.
JP
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Ripster wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:34 pm Hey.....
VERY nice hawkbill, JP. ::tu:: ::tu::
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The is the 163 as well as a 136 and i think a 186 ? All have similar handle but a different blade profile. One of them is the Rope knife.
kj
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

kootenay joe wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:02 am The is the 163 as well as a 136 and i think a 186 ? All have similar handle but a different blade profile. One of them is the Rope knife.
kj
Thanks Roland, that’s good to know. The older Rope knives are neat pieces. ::tu::
JP
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have a Schrade Walden 136 and a Schrade Walden 186. The numbers on both are perfectly clear, one has a "3" and the other an "8". The only difference i can see is the 136 has a bail. Both have a Hawkbill blade.
I also have a Schrade Cut Co knife with a similar handle and a Rope blade, but being a Schrade Cut Co there are no pattern numbers on it.
The 136 and 186 have always confused me. Why 2 different pattern numbers ?
kj
ea42

Post by ea42 »

During the Schrade Walden era there were three similar knives in that line that utilized the same handles:

-The 186 was the horticultural hawkbill with the very pointy beak and no shackle.

-The 136 was the Lineman's Skinning Knife with the identical hawkbill only with a slightly rounded and blunted point. Blade had a linesman's knife etch. This knife had a shackle.

-The 163 was the rope knife. Same handle but with a large sheepsfoot or rope blade and no shackle

In the first few years of the Schrade Walden era the bolsters had a rattail cut into them, a carryover from the Cut Co days. Eventually the rattail was fazed out and straight bolsters were used. Without the model numbers on the 186 and 136 it would be almost impossible to differentiate between the two when just comparing blades on used knives as the act of sharpening them several times would likely round the pointy tip of the 186 and maybe add a bit more point to the 136. The bail definitely helps in telling them apart. Ripster you definitely have the 136 there and the bail is legit.

Starting around 1979 or 1980 they started interchanging the 136/186 model numbers on their respective blades for some reason. I think they'd just make a batch of hawkbill blades with whatever model number was handy for the stamp, and then if they needed linesman's knives they'd just round the tip and add the etch. The crazy thing was that on those blades they started grinding the edge right around the rounded point, which completely nullified that safety feature making that end like a flying scalpel when it snapped shut LOL! At this point shackles were added to both knives as well. Here's an example of that, two different models with the same 136 tang stamp, likely from around 1979:
Schrade Walden Hawkbills 2.jpg

Eric
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

ea42 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:15 pm
During the Schrade Walden era there were three similar knives in that line that utilized the same handles:

-The 186 was the horticultural hawkbill with the very pointy beak and no shackle.

-The 136 was the Lineman's Skinning Knife with the identical hawkbill only with a slightly rounded and blunted point. Blade had a linesman's knife etch. This knife had a shackle.

-The 163 was the rope knife. Same handle but with a large sheepsfoot or rope blade and no shackle

In the first few years of the Schrade Walden era the bolsters had a rattail cut into them, a carryover from the Cut Co days. Eventually the rattail was fazed out and straight bolsters were used. Without the model numbers on the 186 and 136 it would be almost impossible to differentiate between the two when just comparing blades on used knives as the act of sharpening them several times would likely round the pointy tip of the 186 and maybe add a bit more point to the 136. The bail definitely helps in telling them apart. Ripster you definitely have the 136 there and the bail is legit.

Starting around 1979 or 1980 they started interchanging the 136/186 model numbers on their respective blades for some reason. I think they'd just make a batch of hawkbill blades with whatever model number was handy for the stamp, and then if they needed linesman's knives they'd just round the tip and add the etch. The crazy thing was that on those blades they started grinding the edge right around the rounded point, which completely nullified that safety feature making that end like a flying scalpel when it snapped shut LOL! At this point shackles were added to both knives as well. Here's an example of that, two different models with the same 136 tang stamp, likely from around 1979:

Eric
Eric, a big Thank You. That’s great info and kind of what was hoping to hear . The Rat tail bolster thought was right ,but wasn’t sure about the bail . You mentioned also ,nulllifing the safety feature, agree there as well ,it got the tip of my thumb when got it home.
Do appreciate your feedback ::tu::
JP
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

ea42 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:15 pm

Eric
I didn't know linesman's knives were supposed to have a blunt point. I have the USA-made (Utica) Kleins with the semi-sharp tip, and then the completely rounded tip Sheffield, England (Ibberson) made Kleins that do have a rounded tip. Mine mostly cut rope and twine, so it's not a big deal. I have stripped cable with the Ibberson-made one once, and didn't need the tip.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Eric thank you for giving the description of the Hawkbill knives and outlining the changes made over time. I'm not surprised i was confused.
Here are my Schrade-Walden 186 and 136.
kj
Attachments
IMGP0735.JPG
IMGP0736.JPG
IMGP0737.JPG
IMGP0738.JPG
IMGP0743.JPG
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:22 am::tu::
There were 125 of these made in 1997. I've never seen one before, just stumbled upon it the other day. Skip - I believe this one is from your 'hood.
NFD3.jpg
- Jason
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

jxr1197 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:08 pm
There were 125 of these made in 1997. I've never seen one before, just stumbled upon it the other day. Skip - I believe this one is from your 'hood.
NFD3.jpg
Pretty cool.
As a retired firefighter I really like these.
I have one similar, but it's Napanoch Fire Dept.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

edge213 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:17 pm
NFD3.jpg
Pretty cool.
I actually picked that one up earlier this week too! It's a big week for FD knives from cities starting with the letter 'N'.
nfd1.jpg
- Jason
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Nice one Jason ::nod::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

jxr1197 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:32 pm

NFD3.jpg
Pretty cool.
I actually picked that one up earlier this week too! It's a big week for FD knives from cities starting with the letter 'N'.
nfd1.jpg

Yes sir. That is the one I have.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Nice knife Jason. That is one I wish I had. Actually a helpful piece of info with the 1st year of the napanoch FD. Here is a commemorative FD knife from SCHRADE I have.
1F3A5562-7C49-4DFC-99EB-9CC502A2DDBF.jpeg
34CD00A8-7F00-4EA0-BEA7-B395FEC1ED38.jpeg
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

JAMESC41001 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:47 pmNice knife Jason. That is one I wish I had. Actually a helpful piece of info with the 1st year of the napanoch FD. Here is a commemorative FD knife from SCHRADE I have.
Thanks Jay. Those Franklin Firefighter knives are really nice pieces. I dug into them a bit not all that long ago. A company called PA Bingo ordered 300 in 1992 and then another 300 in 2002. PA Bingo sold 'charitable gaming supplies' and would sell these knives to fire departments that would use them for fundraising by selling raffle tickets to win them.
- Jason
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Great info Jason. Much appreciated
TPK

Post by TPK »

jxr1197 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:32 pm

NFD3.jpg
Pretty cool.
nfd1.jpg
:shock: That's a nice one! Love the shield! Congrats Jason! ::handshake:: ::super_happy::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
TPK

Post by TPK »

JAMESC41001 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:47 pm Nice knife Jason. That is one I wish I had. Actually a helpful piece of info with the 1st year of the napanoch FD. Here is a commemorative FD knife from SCHRADE I have. 1F3A5562-7C49-4DFC-99EB-9CC502A2DDBF.jpeg34CD00A8-7F00-4EA0-BEA7-B395FEC1ED38.jpeg
:shock: Another Beauty! Nice! ::tu:: ::nod::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

My latest Schrade....
A tribute to Sons of American Veterans 8OT.
Blue covers.... Needs cleaning and a little blade work but NICE!
(Shown over an 8OT)

8OT sons of AmVets.JPG
:D
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

That is a lot of knife Mike. ::nod:: ::nod::

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”