My latest Schrade

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
bladecollectorr

Re: My latest Schrade

Post by bladecollectorr »

KnifeSlinger#81 wrote:
1946-73 is the general era for schrade walden but they started putting usa on the stamp around 1953-54. A schrade walden from 1946 to 1953-54 would be stamped.

SCHRADE
WALDEN
NY
My two cents as far as tang stamp's go:

I re-post the generally accepted chart where the "1946-1973" date comes from. The chart is from a "Knife World" article in June 2004 called "Schrade - 100 Years of Markings" by B.K. Brooks. I think chart should be regarded as a guideline and not gospel truth in all circumstances. Even the author was not sure it was definitive fact.

I searched my collection for a pattern with the "USA" stamp from 1946-1959. I only found one suitable example. The 849 is a pattern that has limited production dates.

The Schrade Walden 849 is listed first in the 1955 price-list and then the 1957 catalog. It is last seen in the 1959 catalog so that stamp was definitely used in the mid to late 1950s.

I also have earlier Schrade Walden examples such as 709Sha and 946Sha that do not have USA stamped on them.

Take this as you will. All I'm saying is that I personally don't have any examples that break the guideline stated by KnifeSlinger#81. At the same time I can totally see why Charlie said 1946-1973 for Ivoryman's very nice new knife.
Attachments
Schrade Tang Stamps.jpg
849 open mark.jpg
849 tang stamp.jpg
I don't always respond to great posts but I always appreciate seeing them. Thanks for posting! ::tu::
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Thanks for your input bladecollectorr. The information regarding putting the USA stamp on knives around 53-54 came from an extremely knowledgeable schrade collector, known on this forum as lt632ret. His information can be taken to the bank. The 1961 catalog is the last one that lists bone stag handles. The 1962 catalog starts listing "unbreakable staglon" handles, so it's safe to assume they had pretty much run out of bone by then. Of course there may have been some bone knives made after that but they were not catalogued, it was certainly the end of the bone schrade walden era as delrin had taken over.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Well, thanks for muddying the waters. Now I have several supposed dates and ranges, and none of them agree. Your estimate or whatever you want to call it stands alone on it's own merits like the others. But all these inputs have done nothing but end any small fragment of confidence I used to have in thinking I knew the date the knife might be. And I have learned a valuable lesson. Will be better off not mentioning dates or stamps at all. Will be better off not believing what the sellers say. Like dad used to say, "Keep you eyes and ears open, and your mouth shut." Still failing at that one.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
KnifeSlinger#81

Ivoryman wrote:Well, thanks for muddying the waters. Now I have several supposed dates and ranges, and none of them agree. Your estimate or whatever you want to call it stands alone on it's own merits like the others. But all these inputs have done nothing but end any small fragment of confidence I used to have in thinking I knew the date the knife might be.
I'm not sure what you mean exactly. The estimate I'm giving you is not on my own merits, it comes from the excellent sources you can find right here in the schrade subforum, studying catalogs and studying the knives themselves. I can think of several people here who would likely give you the same estimate that your knife was most likely made from about the mid 50's to the early 60's. I don't claim to be an expert but I would not be saying any of this if I didn't have confidence in all the research I have done about schrade and confidence in the sources that this info comes from. You can take or leave that information as you wish, sorry I can't help you any more than that.
-Paul T.

orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Charlie may have thought it was a Schrade Cut Co as opposed to a Schrade Walden.
The pattern may very well date to the 1930s as a Schrade Cut Co, but the Schrade Walden company didn't exist until Albert Baer purchased Schrade Cut Co circa 1946.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Ivoryman, I don’t think Charlie needs the money or the knife. I’m wondering if you gave him a chance to make it right if you feel you were misled, before you decided to air it out here. It’s a nice knife but not all that special. Seems like some folks here are just trying to give some helpful info that you asked for.
black mamba

Post by black mamba »

I have to agree with James. Charlie is a stand up guy, and you should contact him and explain what has transpired here. He should have a chance to explain himself, and/or admit a mistake.
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

I just received this New York Knife Co sharpfinger in the mail today. The knife came with box and paper work.
Thanks to JerryD for arranging the shipping.

Grant
Attachments
P1030823.JPG
P1030824.JPG
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Picked up this fish knife for 20 bucks Saturday, been used and looks like spent a lot of time in a tackle box but still has the blade etch. Anyone know what the single bolster hole was for? Maybe hook straightening?
Attachments
IMG_0220.jpg
KnifeSlinger#81

JohnR wrote:Picked up this fish knife for 20 bucks Saturday, been used and looks like spent a lot of time in a tackle box but still has the blade etch. Anyone know what the single bolster hole was for? Maybe hook straightening?
According to the catalogs that's exactly what the hole is for John. Nice pick up.
IMG_4233.PNG
-Paul T.

JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

KnifeSlinger#81 wrote:
JohnR wrote:Picked up this fish knife for 20 bucks Saturday, been used and looks like spent a lot of time in a tackle box but still has the blade etch. Anyone know what the single bolster hole was for? Maybe hook straightening?
According to the catalogs that's exactly what the hole is for John. Nice pick up.

IMG_4233.PNG

Paul, thank you so much, appreciate the catalog scan.
KnifeSlinger#81

JohnR wrote:
KnifeSlinger#81 wrote:

IMG_4233.PNG

Paul, thank you so much, appreciate the catalog scan.
You are welcome, glad to help. ::tu::
-Paul T.

KnifeSlinger#81

Here's one of those knives I have always wanted, but stays in the back of my mind. I came across this one for a good price. Craftsman branded schrades are very appealing to me and this one does not disappoint. :D
IMG_4294.JPG
IMG_4295.JPG
IMG_4296.JPG
-Paul T.

orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Nice one Paul! ::tu::
I also have a Craftsman version of the Schrade Walden 804 that I often carry when I'm working in the shop.
There such a useful pattern that it's easy to understand why they are often pretty well used when you find them.
Sometimes it just jumps in your pocket before you know!
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
KnifeSlinger#81

orvet wrote:Nice one Paul! ::tu::
I also have a Craftsman version of the Schrade Walden 804 that I often carry when I'm working in the shop.
There such a useful pattern that it's easy to understand why they are often pretty well used when you find them.
Sometimes it just jumps in your pocket before you know!
Thanks Dale. This one seems to have been used with care. I put edges on it to my liking and it's in my pocket today. No reason to let a good tool sit around. ::tu::
-Paul T.

royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

very knice, Paul.
::tu::
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

Had this nice Schrade whittler turn up today.

Grant
Attachments
P1030836.JPG
P1030838.JPG
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

What a great little whittler Shearer. Pretty scales and blade etch. ::nod:: ::tu::
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

doglegg wrote:What a great little whittler Shearer. Pretty scales and blade etch. ::nod:: ::tu::
Thanks doglegg.
I've wanted one for a while. ::handshake::

Grant
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I don't think they made many of these with stag. This might be only the second one i have seen. Am i correct that it is fairly rare ?
kj
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

kootenay joe wrote:I don't think they made many of these with stag. This might be only the second one i have seen. Am i correct that it is fairly rare ?
kj
Looks like a thousand were made.
collectors-of-schrades-r.us/FLYERS/1990s/pages/SC90-42.htm

Grant
Attachments
Schrade 85th.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I guess owners are hanging on to them because they don't show up on ebay or knife forums.
kj
KnifeSlinger#81

Great whittler. ::tu::
-Paul T.

mumblypeg

Post by mumblypeg »

Not recent additions, but a couple that I haven't shown before.
2OT rehandled by Herman Williams, and a Walden era 881 stockman.
Attachments
Schrade 2OT
Schrade 2OT
Schrade 881
Schrade 881
Richard

"Sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand."
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Those two are very nice especially since I learned a bit about Mr. Herman Williams thanks to Doug (dweb1897) here on AAPK in the last few days!
I still have trouble keeping the mumblypegs and the Mumbleypegs from Texas separated. ::hmm::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”