My latest Schrade

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: My latest Schrade

Post by edge213 »

jxr1197 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:31 am My latest is a USA built Schrade from 2021 and it's the mother of all pull balls. The MOAPB is actually called a Flying Jack and George Schrade patented it in 1937 but never sold any. Bill Schrade built a few and even used his grandfathers tools and stiddy to put them together.
Closed.jpg
Open.jpg
Lock.jpg
Side by Side.jpg
Let me first say....awesome knife.
I'm not real familiar with ball pull knives.
I only have 1 small one.
Does the backspring stick out when the blade is in the closed position?
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

edge213 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:02 am Let me first say....awesome knife.

edge213 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:02 amDoes the backspring stick out when the blade is in the closed position?
It does - the kick spring is proud closed and flush open.
- Jason
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

I've posted this one elsewhere, so I've added another picture to give this post a little more purpose. An 18OT joined the family today. It was in dire need of a cleaning, which was tended to pretty quickly. Some more cleaning, as well as sharpening and polishing of the blade, may be needed. Overall, I'm happy with it.
18OT Mark Side.jpg
18OT Pile Side.jpg
18OT Open.jpg
I also gathered up all of my Old Timers (plus Old Crafty, which is a rebranded 8OT) for a family portrait. Many more family members still need to be located, but I've made a good start!
Old Timer Family Portrait 23 June 2021.jpg
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Good addition to your Old Timer collection Dan.

Looks like you are well on your way to being an Old Timer collector!

::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Thanks, Mike. I am definitely well on the way to becoming an Old Timer collector, and lIkely a hoarder of certain patterns!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Dan In MI wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:15 pm Thanks, Mike. I am definitely well on the way to becoming an Old Timer collector, and lIkely a hoarder of certain patterns!

I understand COMPLETELY!!!!!

:lol:
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Not something that I would normally buy, but I couldn't pass it up for the price.
New in box. Flea market find.
Attachments
20210624_192828.jpg
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

edge213 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:49 am I couldn't pass it up for the price.
New in box. Flea market find.
Great find! I hope to be as lucky when I visit the flea market.
USN 2000-2006
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Those number fives are a favorite carry for me. There are a bunch of different ones.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Nice score! The 5UH as I understand was really short-lived, and an end-of-days model.

I carry the one-hand opener 55OTG (since mine is so banged up, it's far from being in "nice" condition") but prefer the SP-3 Firebird. The SP-3 is about the same size and same great steel, but MUCH lighter.
bladecollectorr

Post by bladecollectorr »

My latest will be the new "King" of my Schrade collection. This knife was previously posted by Doug Webber. Herman Williams made it for Doug in 2016. The "4DW" serial number includes Doug's birthday. So sad that both these men are gone now. Their legacies remain.

This knife has hammered brass, a torched, antique, elk handle and a mirror-polished blade with filework all around. Story goes the antique elk came from a chandelier Herman found in Virginia.

I think the knife will find itself in good company while in my Schrade collection. I purchased it from one of the sellers here on aapk and was very glad to have the opportunity.

First pic is one that Herman took when he finished it. Next four as captured by Doug Webber. Last three are the latest ones shown in the listing. I tweaked the exposure and lighting a bit to see the knife more clearly. I can't wait to take some pics of my own!
Herman's pic.JPG
Doug's pic 01.JPG
Doug's pic 02.jpg
Doug's pic 03.JPG
Doug's pic 04.JPG
as listed on aapk - 01.jpg
as listed on aapk - 02.jpg
as listed on aapk - 06.jpg
I don't always respond to great posts but I always appreciate seeing them. Thanks for posting! ::tu::
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

A worthy start to an extensive future Schrade fixed blade collection, BC! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

bladecollectorr wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:43 am My latest will be the new "King" of my Schrade collection.
That is an astounding knife!

My newest Schrade is another 18OT, this one being unused. The seller said it spent its life in a display case, and I believe him. It's not perfect (with some carbon spotting and a little flaw on the mark side), but I'm pleased with it. Hopefully I'll get more unused Old Timers in the future!
Unused 18OT Mark Side.jpg
Unused 18OT Pile Side.jpg
Unused 18OT Open.jpg
Unused 18OT Box And Paperwork.jpg
USN 2000-2006
bladecollectorr

Post by bladecollectorr »

tongueriver wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:41 pm A worthy start to an extensive future Schrade fixed blade collection, BC! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Dan In MI wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:49 pm
bladecollectorr wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:43 am My latest will be the new "King" of my Schrade collection.
That is an astounding knife!

Thanks guys! I'm thinking it will pair really well with my natural sambar stag, blued Bowie. They both have what the other doesn't.

Bowie composite.jpg
I don't always respond to great posts but I always appreciate seeing them. Thanks for posting! ::tu::
koldgold
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by koldgold »

Schrade 18OT [1986] Give-a-Way,
Attachments
Give-a-Way 18OT
Give-a-Way 18OT
Paper-Work
Paper-Work
HI FROM AUSTRALIA
A.A.P.N. # 5197: Member of Australian & U.S Blade Forums...KEN -
I collect Schrade knives - made in the U.S.A.- I like the 8OT
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

bladecollectorr wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:43 am My latest will be the new "King" of my Schrade collection. This knife was previously posted by Doug Webber. Herman Williams made it for Doug in 2016. The "4DW" serial number includes Doug's birthday. So sad that both these men are gone now. Their legacies remain.
WOW....What a BEAUTIFUL knife!
That is a wonderful legacy. I'm sure you have it written down and keep it with that beauty.
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Dan In MI wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:49 pm
My newest Schrade is another 18OT, this one being unused. The seller said it spent its life in a display case, and I believe him. It's not perfect (with some carbon spotting and a little flaw on the mark side), but I'm pleased with it. Hopefully I'll get more unused Old Timers in the future!
Great find Dan. It is always a bonus to be able to get a box with a knife.
Nice addition to the OT collection!

Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

koldgold wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:55 am Schrade 18OT [1986] Give-a-Way,
WOW.... that is a KILLER!!
Nice find!

Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Meridian_Mike wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:32 am Great find Dan. It is always a bonus to be able to get a box with a knife.
Nice addition to the OT collection!
Thanks, Mike!
USN 2000-2006
koldgold
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by koldgold »

Schrade knives in Tins... Ken.
Attachments
1 - OLD TIMER CLASSIC 80TC.JPG
1 - OLD TIMER CLASSIC 80TC.JPG (35.03 KiB) Viewed 1667 times
2 - DUCK TIN.JPG
3 - DUCK TIN.JPG
4 - DUCK TIN.JPG
5 - LAKE & WALKER.JPG
6 - 100th. ANNIVERSORY.JPG
7 - DUCK.JPG
10 - Duck Tins.JPG
HI FROM AUSTRALIA
koldgold
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by koldgold »

Some more Schrads in tins... Ken
Attachments
3. DSC_0005.JPG
5..JPG
9 - DUCK 34.JPG
12 - SLW2.JPG
15 - SX4s.JPG
20 - SDU6CPT.JPG
26 - 100TH 8OT TIN.JPG
1904OT.jpg
HI FROM AUSTRALIA
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

koldgold wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:59 am Some more Schrads in tins...
Nice! I just pulled the trigger on a lot that includes a 100th Anniversary 34OT (likely previously carried, but it'll plug a hole!).

Meanwhile, this 61OT joined my Old Timer collection today. It's not perfect, but it is presentable and fully functional. It snaps like an old Schrade should, too!
61OT Mark.jpg
61OT Pile.jpg
6OT Open.jpg
61OT Tang.jpg
USN 2000-2006
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Great tins guys! VERY nice!!

Good catch Dan....
Hey, I filled as many holes as I could when I first started and now I am going back and getting better examples of OTs.
(That way, the collecting of Old Timers never ends!.....LOL)

tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Dan In MI wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:40 am Meanwhile, this 61OT joined my Old Timer collection today. It's not perfect, but it is presentable and fully functional. It snaps like an old Schrade should, too!

61OT Mark.jpg

61OT Pile.jpg

6OT Open.jpg

61OT Tang.jpg
I can't be sure from your pic's, but I think I see pins through the bolsters. That means that example of a 61OT was at least partially made by Camillus for Schrade (Camillus made a lot of Schrades for them as Baer was top dog at both places). In other words, no Swinden construction. Some of us think that is COOL. ::tu::
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Meridian_Mike wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:45 am Good catch Dan....
Hey, I filled as many holes as I could when I first started and now I am going back and getting better examples of OTs.
(That way, the collecting of Old Timers never ends!.....LOL)
Thanks, Mike! Many a hole remains to be filled in my collection. If we're talking excellent or better, only one such hole has been plugged. The great thing about that, though, is that knives that get upgraded can always be used or passed along to an appreciative new owner.
tongueriver wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:55 pm I can't be sure from your pic's, but I think I see pins through the bolsters. That means that example of a 61OT was at least partially made by Camillus for Schrade (Camillus made a lot of Schrades for them as Baer was top dog at both places). In other words, no Swinden construction. Some of us think that is COOL. ::tu::
The bolsters don't appear to have pins through them. I did my best to get a couple of close-ups. When editing the photos, I set the clarity, sharpen, and exposure higher than I usually do. Hopefully that will more clearly show the presence or absence of pins.
OT61 Bolster 1.jpg
OT61 Bolster 2.jpg
USN 2000-2006

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”