Other Old timers.

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
lt632ret

Other Old timers.

Post by lt632ret »

Here is a souvenir booklet put out by trhe village of Walden for the centennial celebration is 1955. I thought someone may find it interestion. Due to length I am only attempting to post highlights from the booklet during the early years walden was nicknamed the little Sheffield of america and at one point this little village produced 50 to 80 percent of all the knives sold in america. ( around 1880 until the early 19 hundreds Note the pic of the employees of NYK ( many were female). Ads in the booklet, from Schrade ( which at this point was the only knife company still in the village and they moved to Ellenville the next year. However you will note an ad for General slicing in a way this was also a knife company since originally there main product were meat slicers both hand and electric operated. Retail and commercial. Later they made items like meat grinders and then knife sharpeners vacu vices ( which some of you may remember. ). They were housed in the old Borden Milk factory which they bought when Borden closed. I could not find a pic of the Borden factory ( it is here somewhere ) However I included an Ashtray of general slicing which is an updated version of the old Borden pic. General went out in the late 70tys . The Borden story is a book unto itself Wallkill is the home of the Borden home farm Borden palyed an amazing part in the history of this area. However moving on I included a pic of the pre 1920 Walden High school. Which I went to ( it was then the Walden elementary school 1956 ). It is now gone but when I look at the pic I can see the building layout in my mind. It was a comfortable building with a different feel than the cold schools of today. Lots of wood and softer less stress. ( I mean after school we went around back and fished the Wallkill about a block away) To day kids wonder if they will get out and home alive. hard to explain. There is a pic of Col Bradley in 1909 dedicating the firemans monument ( by then he had sold NYK and was a politician). I left a lot of the local stuff out . LT
Attachments
MVC-010S.JPG
MVC-010S.JPG (45.64 KiB) Viewed 3536 times
MVC-009S.JPG
MVC-009S.JPG (36.5 KiB) Viewed 3536 times
MVC-008S.JPG
MVC-008S.JPG (78.63 KiB) Viewed 3536 times
MVC-007S.JPG
MVC-007S.JPG (28.37 KiB) Viewed 3536 times
MVC-006S.JPG
MVC-006S.JPG (39.39 KiB) Viewed 3536 times
MVC-005S.JPG
MVC-005S.JPG (46.87 KiB) Viewed 3537 times
MVC-004S.JPG
MVC-004S.JPG (33.63 KiB) Viewed 3537 times
MVC-003S.JPG
MVC-003S.JPG (53.74 KiB) Viewed 3537 times
MVC-002S.JPG
MVC-002S.JPG (60.42 KiB) Viewed 3537 times
MVC-001S.JPG
MVC-001S.JPG (42.06 KiB) Viewed 3537 times
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Great stuff LT. ::tu::
Keep it coming! It sort of gives us (who have never been anywhere close), a sense of the place that gave birth to so many great knives.

Thanks,
Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
johnnierotten

Post by johnnierotten »

Very informative, ::tu:: thats some really cool stuff 8)
Thanks LT
johnnierotten

So far,So good...So What!!
LRV

Post by LRV »

LT,
If you haven't guessed by now, I love this stuff.
Thanks.
“A knife in a man’s hand is as precious as a diamond necklace on a woman’s neck” - Michael Mirando I.S.C.
Gr8Scout

Post by Gr8Scout »

OK LT. Excellent stuff for us.
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Very nice LT. It's great that those old buildings still survive in photos at least. I didn't even recognize thta fireman's monument. It's surrounded by buildings now.
Eric
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Darn!!
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Sorry I tripled up, I could swear I only hit submit once. :oops: ::shrug::
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

Actually the firemans monument has moved more times in its lifetime than most people. Sometimes over a beer the locals will make a game out of seeing who can name the most locations it has been in. That is an example of some of the high speed life style around here. Now while I do not believe the statue has ever had a beer itself I can attest to its having had recycled beer ( ie pee ) sprayed upon it. Perhapes the most famous of dignitys who is said to have relieved himself in this manner was a well known ball player who used to live in Greenwood Lake ( about 45 minutes away ). This fellow who needing a drink and some privacy on Sunday mornings ( you see in NYS you could not get a drink or buy alcohol before noon on Sunday this was another clever law which obviously was needed and saved humanity from the degradation of alcohol ). Would drive to Walden to the Whitefront bar which was owned by a well known gambler who was his friend . The ball players name was Herman well actually that was his middle name his whole name was George Herman Ruth more commonly known as Babe. The Babe I guess to get a good seat would sometimes arrive on Saturday and stay over. Sometimes on Sunday the Whitefront would stay closed all day, however some say there used to be a lot of activity going on inside. I guess the Babe was in there praying ( after all it was Sunday ). Strangly around 20 years later Walden had some pretty fair young ball players in town. mostly stocky long ball hitting kids. Now the babe was not the only dignatary the gambler bar owner knew. This might explain why there werent to many complaints about those Sundays since another fellow often found at the same party ( and often cardgames ) was known to be pretty good with his fists. His name was Jack Dempsky. The old timers used to talk ( all are gone now ) about bumping into both these guys in both the Whitefront and around the corner at the Eagle hotel ( which was not only known for getting drink but which also had a reputation for plumbing repair ( you know getting your pipes cleaned ). The Whitefront is directly across the street from Waldens other statue (" Mckinley friend of the working man" ) erected mainly because of the efforts of his close civil war buddy Colonel T Bradley the owner of NYK ( do to Mckinleys efforts to get tarriffs placed on imported knives ). Many years later when I worked 4 to 12 at Mattewan for the crimminally insane, I used to go to the Whitefront ( which had by then gotten the reputation as a bucket of blood type of gin mill ) after work I would act as the bartender and bouncer then close the place and make a night deposit. For this I got 10 dollars a night and all I could drink. I liked the job but had to give it up. One night I had to put a 38 behind a fellows ear in order to talk him into giving me the shot gun he had brought in to impress upon his wife and her boyfriend sitting in the bar of the virtues of fidelity. I decided at that point that the 10 dollars even with the drinks was not enough for the job. I am sure that the firemans statue and Mckinleys will still be around after I like many others are gone. A shame stone cannot tell of what it has seen. LT PS I just reread this and I feel there is something I should add when the story I related Happened I was a young man I am now an old man, There are some who say old people are to fixed in there way and not open to other views. To show that I am not one of those people. I want to add that If I knew wimmen and human nature then as I do now. I would never have taken his shot gun I would have let him do what in his heart he knew was the right thing to do. I would if I could have given him a medal. I would have given him a drink or two on the house all the money in the till and as long a head start as I could before calling the police. I do not believe in battering a woman who cheats I think she should be placed in the french fryer without any breading at all.
LRV

Post by LRV »

Shortly I'll be posting a few more pictures from LT's collection.
He just sent me over 100 floppy disks of pictures. This is his second shipment the 1st is on the web already. I got through 30 of the disks last night. This man has a collection!
I'll let you all know when they are there.
TTYL
larry
“A knife in a man’s hand is as precious as a diamond necklace on a woman’s neck” - Michael Mirando I.S.C.
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Re: Other Old timers.

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

From a May 1935, Newburgh New York, newspaper.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
tnorton

Post by tnorton »

Great Stuff ::tu::
FatCity67