Schrade stainless Military knife

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
Beag1eGal

Schrade stainless Military knife

Post by Beag1eGal »

Good afternoon,
I was wondering if anyone has ever seen Schrade made military knife similar to the Camillus knives marked with the year and is all stainless with U.S. on the side of it.
I am curious if Schrade DID make some and if so what years . Thank you
Mustanger

Re: Schrade stainless Military knife

Post by Mustanger »

Referred to as "Demo Knives" and the official military spec name, Mil-K 818. They were made by Albert and Henry Baer companies that included Camillus, Ulster, Imperial and tang stamped as Schrade in 1982 only. My information notes say that Camillus made the Schrade stamped knife in '82.

You may find this webpage interesting.
http://www.donrearic.com/demoknife1.html
Attachments
Schrade Mil-K 818 '82.jpg
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

I believe there is an omission in the provided link. The first models of these knives were made during late WW2 by Kingston and another company that I don't recall. The first ones had carbon steel blades, brass liners and monel scales. Many think they had stainless scales but they were actually monel. Kingston was a short lived company that was formed by Albert Baer of Ulster and Imperial. There are also PX fighting/utility knives by Kingston and some pocket knives made for a short time after the war.
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Learned something from you again, Gene.

Monel. I had never heard of this before and had to google it.

I'd bet money that a bunch of the early 1900s knives I've seen described as having stainless steel on them really had monel.
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

Gunsil wrote:I believe there is an omission in the provided link. The first models of these knives were made during late WW2 by Kingston and another company that I don't recall. The first ones had carbon steel blades, brass liners and monel scales. Many think they had stainless scales but they were actually monel. Kingston was a short lived company that was formed by Albert Baer of Ulster and Imperial. There are also PX fighting/utility knives by Kingston and some pocket knives made for a short time after the war.

Good catch on your part. I should have added Kingston to the list I gave. I also forgot that I had this S-card for the Schrade. I didn't want that knife in the picture as much as someone else did, but the same seller sold me this pre-'72 Ulster that was made before the military specs changed and left off the pin punch on the screwdriver in 1974. Ulster stopped production of these in 1971. These knives were interesting to me a few years ago and I haven't thought about them for a while.
Attachments
Schrade Mil-K Camullis Card.jpg
Ulster-48 Demo Knife (7).JPG
eveled

Post by eveled »

I love these knives for some reason. I have all the manufacturers listed in Don's article and the Schrade 82. I also have one thats stamped SHRADE on the side instead of US. Its a Chinese modern made one.

The very best one I have is made by Case, it's quality is far ahead of the others. Brass liners and all.
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

This afternoon, this SCHRADE, possibly made by CAMILLUS or ?, became the latest MIL-K pattern pocket knife to join my collection. This is my first SCHRADE 1982, single blade, 3 tool pocket knife. It joins my three STEVENSON 45's, a CAMILLUS 1949, a CAMILLUS 1957, two CAMILLUS 1958's, three CAMILLUS 1959's and a CAMILLUS 1960 MIL-K. All these MIL-K pattern pocket knives have been previously posted. It is in EXCELLENT condition and it didn't need any cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is.
Click on a picture to ENLARGE.

What is "odd" about this pocket knife,
is that the awl has a nail nick, on the inside.
Using up the blade inventory?
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Nail Nick On The Inside Of The Awl.
Nail Nick On The Inside Of The Awl.
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:24 pm This afternoon, this SCHRADE, possibly made by CAMILLUS or ?, became the latest MIL-K pattern pocket knife to join my collection. This is my first SCHRADE 1982, single blade, 3 tool pocket knife. It joins my three STEVENSON 45's, a CAMILLUS 1949, a CAMILLUS 1957, two CAMILLUS 1958's, three CAMILLUS 1959's and a CAMILLUS 1960 MIL-K. All these MIL-K pattern pocket knives have been previously posted. It is in EXCELLENT condition and it didn't need any cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is.
Click on a picture to ENLARGE.

What is "odd" about this pocket knife,
is that the awl has a nail nick, on the inside.
::tu:: ::tu:: Nice. The nail nick on the awl is a new one on me also. ::hmm::
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Papa Bones wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:20 pm Nice.....
Thank you Smitty.🍻
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”