What Say You?

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
RobesonsRme.com

What Say You?

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Knife is currently on Ebay, priced at $225.00.

Impressions?

Knowledge?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SCHRADE-CUT-RO ... rk:26:pf:0

Charlie Noyes
Attachments
Schrade Rope Knife 1.jpg
Schrade Rope Knife 2.jpg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: What Say You?

Post by orvet »

That looks like a small Navy rope knife circa WW I.
I don't know if it is in the catalog, I don't have the catalog with me at the moment.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

The seller is a knowledgeable knife person that I have bought from before. I know very little about Schrade Cut Co. Knives though.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Why is the front handle worn down ?
kj
Edit to add: this seller's BIN prices are always high and some of his knives have looked suspect to me.
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

I believe Schrade Cut. is one of the easier one of that pattern to find and already sitting more than double what I'd pay, especially for one that is heavily cleaned. On a positive note, maybe it shows antique knife prices are finally rebounding a little or else, shinny still sells which is probably more likely. It is still a nice knife.____Dave
bladebuddy

Post by bladebuddy »

KJ I think the mark side scale has been buffed, attributing to the shiny worn jigging. This knife has an interesting blade configuration. I’ve worked a little with rope and having a file to keep your nails in good shape while working out knots helps. Steve B.
Steve B.
Keep your edge sharp, otherwise you just can't cut it.

Looking for Carrier Cutlery and early Robeson with Elmira tang stamps.
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

My opinions for what its worth, it is not a WW1 Navy knife, they were bare end with a bail and no shield, the main blade profile is not as wide as the Navy knife, I have an early Cut Co boys knife with this profile, I will add pictures later.

This one appears to me to be a civilian version in a boys knife size, would make sense to me as Schrade would have had nail file blades to use and why not make another knife with those blades, I know when I was a boy I needed a lot of nail work :lol:

It is a very attractive knife even though its been buffed, it does concern me that I have never seen another example but very few may have been made. The seller does list a lot of rare and unusual vintage knives and prices are high, I did make an offer on this knife but it was declined.

Pictures of the Schrade Cut Co I have and a WW1 pattern Navy knife by Thomaston.
Attachments
IMG_9127.jpg
IMG_7500.jpg
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

JohnR wrote:My opinions for what its worth, it is not a WW1 Navy knife, they were bare end with a bail and no shield, the main blade profile is not as wide as the Navy knife, I have an early Cut Co boys knife single blade with this profile, I will add pictures later.

This one appears to me to be a civilian version in a boys knife size, would make sense to me as Schrade would have had nail file blades to use and why not make another knife with those blades, I know when I was a boy I needed a lot of nail work :lol:

It is a very attractive knife even though its been buffed, it does concern me that I have never seen another example but very few may have been made. The seller does list a lot of rare and unusual vintage knives and prices are high, I did make an offer on this knife but it was declined.
Yes his BIN prices are always very high. I think he may have acquired a lot of his knives ar a time when prices were higher and has more in them than current values. I've only been able to come to terms with him on one knife though I've made offers on several from his stable.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

gsmith7158 wrote:Yes his BIN prices are always very high. I've only been able to come to terms with him on one knife though I've made offers on several from his stable.
That is my exact experience. By "high" I mean 100%, 200% and 300% over. Now that is high. Some nice knives, though.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

This seller still has me blocked because about 8 years ago i asked him a question about a knife possibly being re-worked. Seems he only wants buyers who go by what the tang says.
Ask him a question about one of his 220 knives listed and see what happens. He has a bone Schrade-Walden 225 with an out of focus picture of front side and in focus back side. For the high asking price i would re-take front picture unless there was something to hide. Ask him about this knife. If you get blocked you are being saved from disappointment.
If you are honest, would you provide an answer to a fair question ? Rhetorical question, the answer is resoundingly "Yes".
kj
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Seller has some excellent knives and most are priced very high.I have bought a few over the years.He will take offers,just don't expect him to take half of his asking price.
Roger
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

peanut740 wrote:Seller has some excellent knives and most are priced very high.I have bought a few over the years.He will take offers,just don't expect him to take half of his asking price.
Dang Roger how the hell will I ever buy anything, you know me I'm cheap. :lol:

He did accept what I thought was a reasonable offer on the stag Challenge wharncliffe whittler that was discussed in another thread, waiting for it to ship.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

The OP knife is a very strange configuration. Not anything I've seen before in person or otherwise. I can't say that I like the difference in the jigging between the front and back handle either. Heavily buffed and overpriced at very least IMO.

I have a hard time understanding why many sellers will have a high dollar knife or a knife priced at a high dollar value and only supply one or two pictures. Accurate descriptions are great but good pictures can certainly help to sell.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

page 31, catalog E. OP knife has substituted a manicure blade for the pen blade. Very possible right out of the factory. Shield difference, also very possible out of factory. Thinking a box full of six for a small sfo at a bank or butcher shop, etc. Pre-1930 jigging. Very bad price, poor condition when observed from my crow's nest.
cut001.jpg
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Thanks, everyone.

I've been interested in WWI Navy issue rope knives and this one popped up in one of my searches.

Problem was, it's not an Easy Opener, it has no bail, nor does it appear to have ever had one and it has a bottom bolster, which the Navy knives did not have.

I thought, possibly, Schrade had simply taken the Navy rope knife parts after The Armistice and created a pattern that would allow them to use them up in a knife offered to the general public.

I shared the auction with a fellow AAPK member and they thought it to be bogus and suggested I post it here.

Were it an obvious U.S. Navy issue from WWI, I would have been interested in it.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Here is the Schrade Cutlery Company offering of interest, same page (31) as other knife, 1926 Catalog E.
navy001.jpg
ScoutKnives

Post by ScoutKnives »

To many red flags IMO , 2 different handles , master blade obviously cleaned and those blades in that frame are odd .
No original patina gets a ::td::
Always looking for Mint pre war scout knives
wlf

Post by wlf »

peanut740 wrote:Seller has some excellent knives and most are priced very high.I have bought a few over the years.
Ah Ha. The herd was culled before. :)
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I don't understand why so many people think that this knife is some kind of counterfeit. Schrade, and other companies were happy to make substitutions of various kinds that did not quite fit the catalog pages, to make a customer happy. I think the knife is absolutely authentic, but heavily worn, cleaned and priced too high.
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

tongueriver wrote:I don't understand why so many people think that this knife is some kind of counterfeit. Schrade, and other companies were happy to make substitutions of various kinds that did not quite fit the catalog pages, to make a customer happy. I think the knife is absolutely authentic, but heavily worn, cleaned and priced too high.

Cal, I agree with you,I think it is legit, what really is known about the early days of Schrade? A company of this era would not have thrown away good blades but would've used them up even if they only made a few examples.

It is even occurring today with GEC, I personally have a 1of1, 1of6, 1of9, etc in my collection and I know they are legit as I purchased them at the Rendezvous from GEC's store case, they don't show up in GEC's production totals, I imagine collectors having the same conversation over these knives 100 years from now.

Just as an example here is a more recent thread about a Queen Winchester Barlow that I have where it was called a fake and turned out to be a factory made knife. Whats to say the same thing did not occur in the early 1900s or any other time for that matter.

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=46647
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Interesting conversation. I like to keep an eye on this seller as well. I also found the file to be a wierd combination but don’t doubt it’s a ligit Schrade. It occurs to me that this looks to be made inbeteen world wars so it’s not really a military contract knife so it’s not fair to judge it as such.the military would have ordered it with rubber handles or something like that. If it was mint unused it would bring at least double that price but after the beaten and cleaning it took the price is high. My guess is this one is not going to make it into your collection Charlie.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

JAMESC41001 wrote: My guess is this one is not going to make it into your collection Charlie.
If you are referencing certain jolly Canadians, I think he rarely descends to the bramble-strewn path of Ebay. :lol:
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Yes, I think he’s just getting us all riled up.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

He is referencing Charlie N. who started this thread, not the jolly West Coast Canadian who resembles Santa Claus.
kj
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Oh. ::facepalm::

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”