Those hard to find Old Timers

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Those hard to find Old Timers

Post by doglegg »

Mike you are on a roll! Old Timers and Old Craftys, your pile is growing. Cool finds. Congrats. ::tu:: ::tu::
Great job on the clean up as well. ::nod::
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

doglegg wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:14 pm Mike you are on a roll! Old Timers and Old Craftys, your pile is growing. Cool finds. Congrats. ::tu:: ::tu::
Great job on the clean up as well. ::nod::
Yep, the pile is growing.... I need a better way to display my Old Timers. I have them in a glass front "frame" as we called 'em. BUT, the pile is too large for the frame now.
display.JPG
I now have at least half as many again as shown. We have an artifact show here in January and some sellers bring larger display frames. Look like the collection needs a larger home.....LOL.

Oh, thanks for the complement on the clean up. The clean up is as much fun for me as finding that knife I NEED....LOL.
:D
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Great looking collection!!! And that's just part of them, nice finds. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::groove::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
tinroof

Post by tinroof »

Some of my OLD TIMERS that have not bee posted. The two in first photo are a 250 and an 805. Of course the last 2 photo's are of my 20 T, found in a knife show for $35 - my lucky day.
Attachments
MVC-040S.JPG
MVC-041S.JPG
MVC-043S.JPG
MVC-044S.JPG
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

MAN... that is a beautiful 2 OT!!!
What does the other side of the 250 and the 805 look like?
Old timer shield?

::tu::
tinroof

Post by tinroof »

Flip side
Attachments
250.JPG
805.JPG
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

I waited a VERY long time to find a 50OT. I was convinced there was only 5 of them in existence. Then one day a few months ago I found one. It was a little rough but that didn't bother me one bit. I was just thrilled that it existed - and that it was mine! It has the sparkly brown mystery plastic covers and the stamp is 50T instead of 50OT (normal/expected for the pattern.) I always thought that was because they just used Ulster 50 blades and stamped a 'T' on them after the fact. Who knows. Anyway, not long after I found my 50 another 50 actually found me! Basically in the same condition. So now I believe there are 7 in the world and I own 2 of them, lol! I'd actually love to find out what the production numbers were (Larry!) because all I have ever seen are just a few of these brown ones and maybe one or two in bone. You'd think at least one would pop up in Delrin, but nope - not a single one.
50OTs.jpg
- Jason
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The jack above marked "250", i cannot read the front tang. Is it really a Schrade-Walden knife ? I am not familiar with a 250 pattern, if it is a S-W it is rather rare.
kj
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

kootenay joe wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:51 am The jack above marked "250", i cannot read the front tang. Is it really a Schrade-Walden knife ? I am not familiar with a 250 pattern, if it is a S-W it is rather rare.
kj
The 250 is identical to the 233 but with Propwood covers. They were made for a few years in the mid 50s.
250.jpg

tinroof wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:52 pmOf course the last 2 photo's are of my 20 T, found in a knife show for $35 - my lucky day.
Your gun and knife shows are better than mine! Vendors around here are expensive on everything nowadays. $35 for a 2OT?? WOW! I always like seeing the ones that were personalized/used for advertising. Something very cool about them. Great find. ::tu::
- Jason
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

jxr1197 wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:14 am I waited a VERY long time to find a 50OT. I was convinced there was only 5 of them in existence. Then one day a few months ago I found one. It was a little rough but that didn't bother me one bit. I was just thrilled that it existed - and that it was mine! It has the sparkly brown mystery plastic covers and the stamp is 50T instead of 50OT (normal/expected for the pattern.) I always thought that was because they just used Ulster 50 blades and stamped a 'T' on them after the fact. Who knows. Anyway, not long after I found my 50 another 50 actually found me! Basically in the same condition. So now I believe there are 7 in the world and I own 2 of them, lol! I'd actually love to find out what the production numbers were (Larry!) because all I have ever seen are just a few of these brown ones and maybe one or two in bone. You'd think at least one would pop up in Delrin, but nope - not a single one.
50OTs.jpg
I have been on the look out for a 50 OT for my collection too. I think, the only way to find one is for the seller to have NO IDEA what he has.
I had, what I think MIGHT have been a 50 OT, cornered on ebay and I was the only bidder. As my luck would have it, somebody sniped me at the last minute.
Oh well.....
Onward!

Mike
::facepalm::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks for info on the '250' jack. I have a few (3 ?) of the propwood S-W knives. I will look to see what numbers they might be stamped with.
kj
tinroof

Post by tinroof »

The jack above marked "250", i cannot read the front tang. Is it really a Schrade-Walden knife ? I am not familiar with a 250 pattern, if it is a S-W it is rather rare.
kj
Glad to add a better image.
Attachments
MVC-045S.JPG
MVC-046S.JPG
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Well.... well.... well.....
It took a WHILE.... my patience was tried..... BUT, I took y'alls advice...... I watched and waited and I actually got myself an 8OTY and a 34OTY for my collection...!!
This one, I fished out of the bay last night and it is on the way to my collection. This 34OTY has full blades.... the rust is pretty bad but I think I can handle that.
Here is the new addition!
34OTY.jpg
NOW..... if I can just find myself a 50 OT..... Now that one, I might never see..... BUT I AM going to keep looking!
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

How is a 50 OT different from a 5 OT?
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

tongueriver wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:28 pm How is a 50 OT different from a 5 OT?
I think they are the same.....
Seems like (and I may be wrong) I have seen people show pics of both a 5OT tamg stamp and a 50OT tang stamp and they say they are the same knife.
(maybe I need to understand exactly what I am looking for.....huh?)
(Maybe this is all a pigment of my imagination...LOL)

::shrug::

This one.....
The one nobody can find.....

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=54485&p=789311&hilit=50OT#p789311

(Look on this page about mid way down)

:shock:
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::tu:: 2 USA Sharp Fingers, there's a difference in these. ftd
4802.jpeg
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Those are NICE! Difference?.... please explain.... (I see the sheaths are different)
My next NON-folding Old Timers are gonna be the Schrade-Walden (early version) of the 165OT, the 15OT and the 410-T...
AND... then comes the Schrade-Walden Uncle Henrys... 171UH and 172UH.
Up until now, I have been concentrating on the folders only.

fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::hmm:: Meridian Mike, the one on the left is slightly smaller on the handle and the sheath is different. ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

fergusontd wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:18 pm ::hmm:: Meridian Mike, the one on the left is slightly smaller on the handle and the sheath is different. ftd
Got ya!....SO... is it basically a slightly smaller version of the 152?
Maybe a slight re-design....?? COOL!

kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Mike the keeper strap on those 2 sheaths show them to be early sheaths, first couple of years. The knife should sit deeper into sheath so that strap abuts the handle.
kj
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

kootenay joe wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:25 pm Mike the keeper strap on those 2 sheaths show them to be early sheaths, first couple of years. The knife should sit deeper into sheath so that strap abuts the handle.
kj
Ahhhhh.... thanks for that info Roland!
IS the Schrade-Walden 15OT the same as the Schrade 152OT?
(They look a lot alike.....) ::shrug::
I am just now starting to look at the fixed blade Old Timers.
I got some learnin' to do.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The 15OT is a much bigger knife, 10 1/2" OAL.
kj
LRV

Post by LRV »

Mike,
"IS the Schrade-Walden 15OT the same as the Schrade 152OT?
(They look a lot alike.....) ::shrug::"

Simple answer NO.. The 15OT is huge, a full size hunting bowie knife and about twice the size if the 152. 15OT was the 1st Fixed OT knife and is almost a flat grind where the 152 had a bit of a bevel.
Pictures available on my site.
http://www.collectors-of-schrades-r.us/ ... /index.htm
“A knife in a man’s hand is as precious as a diamond necklace on a woman’s neck” - Michael Mirando I.S.C.
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Good deal!... Thanks y'all....

jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

Meridian_Mike wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:37 pm
tongueriver wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:28 pm How is a 50 OT different from a 5 OT?
I think they are the same.....
Seems like (and I may be wrong) I have seen people show pics of both a 5OT tamg stamp and a 50OT tang stamp and they say they are the same knife.
(maybe I need to understand exactly what I am looking for.....huh?)
(Maybe this is all a pigment of my imagination...LOL)

::shrug::

This one.....
The one nobody can find.....

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=54485&p=789311&hilit=50OT#p789311

(Look on this page about mid way down)

I have also heard that there are some out there with a 50OT stamp but I have never seen one. The very few I've seen pics of are all the 5OT. I don't know that these ever made it to production (LARRY?) and the two I have both trace back to jobbers - they were salesman samples. They are Ulster 50's with unique scales and an Old Timer shield. My assumption is they grabbed a bunch of 50 blades and just added a 'T'. The correct pattern number is 50OT, the tang stamps say 5OT and the flyers say 500 T (as in five hundred T).
50 OT2fb.jpg
50OTpricesheet.png
50OTflyer.PNG
- Jason

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”