Those hard to find Old Timers

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
Meridian_Mike

Those hard to find Old Timers

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Hey y'all....
I have been hunting for a small hand full of the USA made Old Timer knives lately. First off.... they do come up for auction on ebay from time to time but when they do, the price goes past where I feel comfortable paying before the auction ends.

SO... can you guys give me a fair ball park figure for the few I am still hunting?
I know the price has to be controlled mostly by the scarcity or how many were produced.

Anyway.... I am looking for the following to finish up my collection.

8OTY
34OTY
44OT
49OT
53OTG
98OT
123OT
126OT
and 225OT

I've seen pics of them all so I do know that they exist....LOL.... I guess I just need to try to apprehend these varmints without killing my pocket book.

Thanks for your input everyone!!

Mike
:D
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Beavertail

Re: Those hard to find Old Timers

Post by Beavertail »

Hey Mike,
Did You ever find a 2OT?
If You did,show Us a photo. ::tu::
Tim
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Oh yes... I sure did.
kootenay joe (Roland) sold me one..... the USPS has possession of it right now BUT I should have it in my hands soon!
2OT 1.JPG
2OT 2.JPG
Mike
::super_happy::
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

She's a beauty! Thanks ::tu::
Tim
Sanders Knives

Post by Sanders Knives »

Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Ah yes...... having that many in stock sorta sets a good price for those...

Thanks!!
::tu::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Part of the 'beauty' of the 2OT is how it feels in hand. It is a wonderful sense of 'just right'. This 2OT has perfect snaps & no play at all. Blades need a skillful sharpening and the master spine at the tip filed down a bit to help re-create a pointy tip. Or leave tip blunt and use the pen blade when you need a sharp point. I think it is great that Mike will be carrying it as a daily user.
kj
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

kootenay joe wrote:Part of the 'beauty' of the 2OT is how it feels in hand. It is a wonderful sense of 'just right'. This 2OT has perfect snaps & no play at all. Blades need a skillful sharpening and the master spine at the tip filed down a bit to help re-create a pointy tip. Or leave tip blunt and use the pen blade when you need a sharp point. I think it is great that Mike will be carrying it as a daily user.
kj
Sho 'nuff Roland!!

::super_happy::
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Meridian_Mike wrote:Hey y'all....
I have been hunting for a small hand full of the USA made Old Timer knives lately. First off.... they do come up for auction on ebay from time to time but when they do, the price goes past where I feel comfortable paying before the auction ends.

SO... can you guys give me a fair ball park figure for the few I am still hunting?
I know the price has to be controlled mostly by the scarcity or how many were produced.

Anyway.... I am looking for the following to finish up my collection.

8OTY
34OTY
44OT
49OT
53OTG
98OT
123OT
126OT
and 225OT

I've seen pics of them all so I do know that they exist....LOL.... I guess I just need to try to apprehend these varmints without killing my pocket book.

Thanks for your input everyone!!

Mike
Are you looking for factory condition examples? I have seen most all of these knives at fairly low prices in various conditions. With old timers and uncle henrys there are for the most part enough of them around that you can be patient and wait until a low priced one comes along. Sometimes it may take a while but it usually happens. I think there will still be plenty of ot's and uh's for many years to come, they made a whole bunch.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Well, I'm not too picky about "factory" new looking examples. I would like to find a good example of each that doesn't have too much blade loss. Surface rust or dark spots, I can deal with.
Heck, I enjoy cleaning up knives.

Mike
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

That will make the search easier.

If you are looking for an 8OTY and a 34OTY then the 881Y and the 834Y are the same knives but likely easier to find. The yellow old timers were only made in 1990, likely from using leftover yellow handles from the then discontinued 881Y and 834Y, which both had a longer life than the yellow ot's.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

KnifeSlinger#81 wrote:That will make the search easier.

If you are looking for an 8OTY and a 34OTY then the 881Y and the 834Y are the same knives but likely easier to find. The yellow old timers were only made in 1990, likely from using leftover yellow handles from the then discontinued 881Y and 834Y, which both had a longer life than the yellow ot's.
OK.... thanks for pointing that out Paul.
I wasn't sure about the "OTY's"....

Mike
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Mike, I think you have filled a few off that older list, haven't you?
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

tongueriver wrote:Mike, I think you have filled a few off that older list, haven't you?
Yes... I need to revise that list.

I will do so shortly.
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

OK.... looks like my list is now down to these......
(I removed the OTYs)

49OT - Rhino....(Similar to the 47OT beast??)
53OTG - Bearhead
98OT - Ramrod
123OT - Pioneer
126OT - Stainless steel Mustang
and 225OT - Son of a Gun

Some of the last #'s above are (as I understand) variations of the Mustang 125OT..... (Correct??)
I think this is correct.... Ever since Christmas and my Christmas time travels and sickness.... I hope I got my list updated correctly.

Mike
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

The 126 is not expensive but quite rare. The 225OT sawblade hunter is uncommon, not rare, but EXPENSIVE.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Calvin, "but EXPENSIVE"
how much is expensive ?
and is this just for unused with box ? or also for lightly used but never resharpened/no box ?
thanks, kj
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

I'm sure that "expensive" is less than "EXPENSIVE"....

But, I too would like to know what the "EXPENSIVE" price range would be...

Mike
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I have not seen one come up for sale on the Bay for some several weeks, but when they do, I have never seen one go for less than $80, no box, in the last couple years. The 'scout' knife with sawblade, sold under the Sears marque is the same way.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks Calvin. The Sears 'Scout' with saw blade is a 5 blade knife, right ? Do you know approximate years it was sold ? Made by Imperial ? Ulster ? Camillus ? or Schrade ? Maybe more than one ?
kj
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

kootenay joe wrote:Thanks Calvin. The Sears 'Scout' with saw blade is a 5 blade knife, right ? Do you know approximate years it was sold ? Made by Imperial ? Ulster ? Camillus ? or Schrade ? Maybe more than one ?
kj
Michael Little, 3 December 2014: “You rang? Oh! A Sears Craftsman #9555 "Schrade Walden Saw Knife", a camp utility knife with a fifth blade, a saw added, made for and shipped to Sears in 1967! I love these things! Rare? Mmmm... that word does tend to get overused. They are pretty uncommon finds today. I have two of them.

Keep your eyes open for a Sears Craftsman #9561, another Schrade Walden, but an electrician pattern. It has the same saw blade added and makes for a very thick knife with three springs in the spring pack instead of the normal two and the extra brass liner, total of four. In fact, when measured across the butt not including the shackle, it is 3/4" wide.

Schrade Walden production records listed the #9555 as the "SW SAW KNIFE" first in 1967. The master blade has the Craftsman "crown" logo (matching the coined shield) and the number 9555. Mine came with a light tan leather pouch style sheath with "crown" Craftsman logo embossed on the flap. They were only sold for a year or so and in limited quantities. IIRC, a thousand or less were shipped. Nice find!

ETA: I believe it is indeed built on the Ulster utility knife frame. But at this point Schrade Walden and Ulster were pretty much one and the same.

As I said, both Schrade Walden and Ulster were made on the same tools on the same lines by the same workers. At the time, late 1960's, Ulster patterns were being dropped piecemeal and being replaced by Schrade Walden stamps and patterns. And of course Baer had a near lock on the Sears accounts. He had acquired the remaining stocks of Camillus by then as well so was beginning to have Sears knives made there also. The Sears buyers' loyalty was, afterall, to Baer not to Imperial, Camillus or Schrade Walden.”
utility001.jpg
9561 1.JPG
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Great refresher/presentation Cal. Will be appreciated by many, now and in future.
I no longer have a 5 blade with saw Sears knife. I will start looking. a bit nuts: sold one, now look for another ! ::woot::
kj
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I have a 126OT that is different from any I have seen elsewhere.
I think "rare" might be applicable in this case, what do you think Cal?
Attachments
Schrade 126OT.jpg
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

How does a 126OT differ from the 125OT ? Just different handle covers ??
kj
edit to add: The 126OT has a stainless steel blade, same as the 127UH
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

orvet wrote:I have a 126OT that is different from any I have seen elsewhere.
I think "rare" might be applicable in this case, what do you think Cal?
End of days.

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”