government contracts

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
tongueriver

government contracts

Post by tongueriver »

We know that Schrade Walden had a government contract for the orange parachute knives during the Vietnam War, and we know that they had a contract for the Pilot Survival knife during the Korean Conflict. But I had not seen any evidence of government contracts during the 1904-1946 Schrade CutCo era, although I suspected that they must have had something going, perhaps a TL-29. I finally saw one this morning on Ebay, which, if not re-bladed, looks to be authentic. The blade pivot pin does look like it has been monkeyed with, but I do think this one is probably an authentic contract knife. It is interesting to note that the liners are brass. The only evidence of a fixed blade knife from Schrade CutCo 1904-1946 are some low-price-point knives made for them by Kinfolks, and they are not military knives. Does anyone else have a government contract knife?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-SCHRAD ... :rk:1:pf:0
tl1.jpg
tl2.jpg
tl4.jpg
tl6.jpg
bladecollectorr

Re: government contracts

Post by bladecollectorr »

I don't always respond to great posts but I always appreciate seeing them. Thanks for posting! ::tu::
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Some great reading on TL-29s; thank you! What I am looking for here are OTHER patterns of government contract knives by Schrade CutCo, if indeed there is such a thing.
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Weren't there jr cattle knives made for the air corps and the utility/camp style knives for engineers? There were also switches for the paratroops I believe were a contract since they specified adding a bail, unless I'm remembering it wrong.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I don't know. I think maybe a switchblade. The other ones maybe were Ulsters? ::shrug::
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

I want to say there was a contract switch they called m2 and its the same as a 1543 3/4 or 1553 3/4 (can't remember which?) but with a bail. I was researching this a while back so I'll have to find that information again.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”