Schrade Walden 234K

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Schrade Walden 234K

Post by doglegg »

Saw this one on ebay and was wondering the difference between 234 and 233. Now I'm a little confused with it. I thought the k signified celluloid but this one has bone scales. I also noticed the master blade sits a little short in the frame. It has no shield. I like it, worth the $12 but just wondering if it has been messed with, if the blade inadvertently got in a bone handle, or if this is a stock item. It is maybe 1/16 of an inch shorter tha
DSCN5355.JPG
DSCN5356.JPG
DSCN5357.JPG
DSCN5358.JPG
DSCN5359.JPG
DSCN5360.JPG
n the 233.
tongueriver

Re: Schrade Walden 234K

Post by tongueriver »

I am no expert on this one for sure, but it looks like a frankenknife to me. No matter where the clip blade 'should' be, it has some sharpening loss. The bone does not speak Schrade to me. ::shrug::
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Thanks Tongueriver. Nice little knife and occurred to me that it might be a cross breed.
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

It could be a rehandle, done long ago perhaps. The blades have seen a good days work or two.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Yes, looks like a rehandle.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Thank you gentlemen. I'm kind of glad it is rehandled. I really like the bone and for sure don't care for celluloid. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
KAW

Post by KAW »

A Schrade Walden 234K is my favorite to carry in the pocket... mostly on weekends now due to the "new" job doesn't allow pocket knives... but I digress... the "K" is for K-horn... SW's term for the newer resin substitute for the old "Butter & Molasses" celluloid version. Along with my favorite carry & my avatar that I have a thing for Butter & Molasses handled knives...
doglegg... It takes some getting used to seeing a 234K with bone handles... but that is some sweet looking bone on that one... ::tu::
'til later....
Ken

10031 means.... never having a dull moment. 8)
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Thanks for the picture and the explanation of what k horn is. I am actually very pleased with the knife. Just ole dumb fool luck on my part to get such pretty bones. It is a knice sized knife. Thanks. ::nod::

Nifty little magnifier you have also. ::nod::
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

KAW wrote:... the "K" is for K-horn... SW's term for the newer resin substitute for the old "Butter & Molasses" celluloid version....
Schrade Cutlery Company (Schrade CutCo) never used the term "butter and molasses;" it is a collector term that surfaced probably quite a long time ago. Their description was "brown-lined cream pyralin." The newly formed Schrade Walden company was calling the same celluloid covers "K-horn" right from the first, in the 1947 catalog. When they moved to Delrin in (about) 1961, they kept the term. These were in the 'butter and molasses' pattern also, but they don't look the same as the old celluloid; they had a cloudy completely opaque appearance. However, they also, a little later, made some K-horn knives with Delrin covers that looked somewhat like a tan barnwood pattern, no resemblance in looks to the butter and molasses. I am open to corrections here as my memory is a little fuzzy on the subject.
black mamba

Post by black mamba »

Sounds right to me, Cal. Camillus, during the same time frame, called their butter & molasses celluloid "Agate Pyroxylin." Most likely identical material.

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”