Schrades are better in groups

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
CHNeal

Re: Schrades are better in groups

Post by CHNeal »

Here’s a few of mine.
75D1DD9B-CFAA-40B6-9673-410F3EB1AA9A.jpeg
bladecollectorr

Post by bladecollectorr »

Today I received 7 nice additions to my Schrade collection. Here they are after a little cleaning as necessary. I purchased the 7606 and 7606sha from knifeaholic and they are in super-nice condition for their age. He certainly has some top-of-the-line stuff and is a pleasure to do business with.

Most are Schrade with a couple worthy interlopers from other makers.

The Fortune knife is one of the first Schrade Walden knives made for December 1946. I should think the Miracle Whip made for 1973 was one of the last. The Cut Co knives are earlier than 1946 and the 5UH is one of the last Special Editions (went to SMKW?) just before the factory closed in 2004.

1. Schrade Cut. Co. S8606 shac, MOP
2. Sears Craftsman 9493 (Camillus made) MOP
3. Schrade Walden "Fortune knife", solid 14kt gold
4. Schrade Cut. Co. 70606sha, MOP
5. Imperial USA cufflinks x 2, nickel silver
6. PAL senator (like Remington R6904) MOP
7. Schrade Cut. Co. 7606, MOP
8. George Schrade bar knife, nickel silver
9. Schrade Cut. Co. 8479 gsil shac, nickel silver
10. MOP charm knife, cutting blade & scissors, unknown maker
11. E. Weck 2-1/4" MOP lobster (Schrade Cut. Co. made)
12. Schrade Walden 778 with shackle for Miracle Whip
13. Schrade Cut. Co. senator, 14kt gold-filled
14. Schrade 5UH, blue jigged bone
15. Schrade LB5, black WondaWood for 1983 National Sales Meeting
16. Schrade factory Hallmark stamp, "G" 1991
17. Schrade 5OT, toasted Sambar stag
18. Schrade SC507, ivory delrin for 1984 National Sales Meeting
knife group numbered x800w.jpg
knife group x1200w.jpg
I don't always respond to great posts but I always appreciate seeing them. Thanks for posting! ::tu::
tnorton

Post by tnorton »

very diverse and interesting group ::tu::
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 4:20 am 863's.
WOW..... nice bunch of 863s you have there Skip. ::tu:: ::tu::
CHNeal wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:14 pm Here’s a few of mine.
Nice bunch of Schrade manufactured Bucks... ::tu:: ::tu::
bladecollectorr wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:35 am Today I received 7 nice additions to my Schrade collection. Here they are after a little cleaning as necessary. I purchased the 7606 and 7606sha from knifeaholic and they are in super-nice condition for their age.
I have to say.... that is a sure 'nuff flashy group you have there!
WOW.... :shock:

:D
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Lots of wonderful stuff posted here in last several posts by goodguys! Thanx for the treat!
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I worry about some of those items going to Canada, what with the nasty wx and all, I think they would be safer here in Wyoming, especially the Fortune Knife.
bladecollectorr

Meridian_Mike wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:09 pm I have to say.... that is a sure 'nuff flashy group you have there!
WOW.... :shock:

:D
Thanks! MOP knives are in daylight now and are just glowing with colors. I need to stop buying knives and buy a camera to catch the MOP colors better and take pics a million times faster.

tnorton wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:43 am very diverse and interesting group ::tu::
That's what I was going for. Thanks!

tongueriver wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:37 pm I worry about some of those items going to Canada, what with the nasty wx and all, I think they would be safer here in Wyoming, especially the Fortune Knife.
First thing I do is get them to wear a tuque.
Fortune with tuque.jpg
I don't always respond to great posts but I always appreciate seeing them. Thanks for posting! ::tu::
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

:lol:
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

BC - great looking group there! The pearl handles really stand out in the pic. ::tu::

bladecollectorr wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:36 pm First thing I do is get them to wear a tuque.

That knife's a New Yorker - he'd be happier like this.
Fortune with tuque - improved.jpg
- Jason
bladecollectorr

jxr1197 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:42 pm BC - great looking group there! The pearl handles really stand out in the pic. ::tu::

bladecollectorr wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:36 pm First thing I do is get them to wear a tuque.

That knife's a New Yorker - he'd be happier like this.
Fortune with tuque - improved.jpg
Funny! Your photoshop-fu is verrry gooooood.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Image manipulation is one of some odd 8 million things I don't know much about. I took this really bad photo of some Schrade bacon lettuce and trout knives a coupla years ago. There is one duplicate in there and an H-15 and a 147.
IMG_2783 (Large).JPG
bladecollectorr

tongueriver wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:52 pm Image manipulation is one of some odd 8 million things I don't know much about. I took this really bad photo of some Schrade bacon lettuce and trout knives a coupla years ago. There is one duplicate in there and an H-15 and a 147.
Impressive group! I much prefer these wood versions over stacked leather. The bear-head pommel makes those bird-and-trout knives stand out. I have little slips of paper living inside my sheaths too. Since I don't store knives in their sheaths I need to label them. Appears you might be doing the same.
bladecollectorr

Posted elsewhere but fits here too. 4 x Schrade "Bruin" 3-3/4" closed lockbacks. Stag is fat and fatter. All the "Ranger Edition" knives have extra thick handles.

1. natural sambar stag, no shield or etch, satin finished blade
2. cobalt blue jigged bone, "Special Edition" etch and "Schrade" shield, satin finished blade
3. Gander Mountain SFO, burnt sambar stag, gold-filled etch, no shield, satin finished blade
4. National Park Service 75th Anniversary, "Ranger Edition", gold-plated shield, gold-filled etch on mirror-polished blade
5OT x4 fancy group x1200w.jpg
5OT x4 open spine x1200w.jpg
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

bladecollectorr wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:11 pm1. natural sambar stag, no shield or etch, satin finished blade
I like that one a lot! I didn't realize how fat it was until I saw the top-down pic.

I'll add this group shot here. It's the most current family portrait of my beloved Washington Jacks. A little more than half of them are Schrades.
washjacks.jpg
- Jason
bladecollectorr

jxr1197 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:53 pm
bladecollectorr wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:11 pm1. natural sambar stag, no shield or etch, satin finished blade
I like that one a lot! I didn't realize how fat it was until I saw the top-down pic.

I'll add this group shot here. It's the most current family portrait of my beloved Washington Jacks. A little more than half of them are Schrades.
washjacks.jpg
That's big on the WOW factor. Super nice shot. Nice collecting!
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

A little group of celluloid cattle and stockmans, Schrade CutCo and Schrade Walden.
IMG_2226.JPG
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Now THAT is a sure 'nuff BEAUTIFUL display!!
:shock:
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Thanks, Mike; I always have to apologize for the bad photos and scans. The knives are OK.
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

tongueriver wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:52 pm Thanks, Mike; I always have to apologize for the bad photos and scans. The knives are OK.
LOL..... well, I guess you and I must have graduated from the same photography school.....
:lol:
bladecollectorr

tongueriver wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:08 pm A little group of celluloid cattle and stockmans, Schrade CutCo and Schrade Walden.IMG_2226.JPG
Sweet display! I have been thinking about making some shadowbox displays so I've been researching different ways of going about it.

Are those magnets I see? It came down to three mounting methods for me, magnets, fishing line tie-downs or wedged in between foam and glass. I'm still in the planning stages... So far magnets seem the cleanest but I think the fishing line would keep the knives a bit safer if you ever dropped the whole display. The pressure-fit solution might go bad if the foam softened over time. It's my least favorite.
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

bladecollectorr wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:23 am
Sweet display! I have been thinking about making some shadowbox displays so I've been researching different ways of going about it.

Are those magnets I see? It came down to three mounting methods for me, magnets, fishing line tie-downs or wedged in between foam and glass. I'm still in the planning stages... So far magnets seem the cleanest but I think the fishing line would keep the knives a bit safer if you ever dropped the whole display. The pressure-fit solution might go bad if the foam softened over time. It's my least favorite.
I use the "wedged in between foam and glass" method right now. The only draw back I see for that is that small knives in the same display with larger knives, tend to slide around and lose their place. They want to slide into the depression made by the larger knives.
The magnet method might be a good one to think about. Maybe glue down the magnets and put a cloth over them (???).... ::shrug::
Good luck with your display!!
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I went to Home Depot and bought a sheet of steel, which I cut with shears to fit. Rare earth magnets plenty strong! The problem can arise depending on the varying thicknesses of the handles on the knives which necessitates the magnets be thick enough to get the knife even, instead of a thick handle sticking up in the air, if you can visualize this. So some knives have two stacked magnets. These magnets are the little ones; they do come in different sizes. For fixed blades I doubt this method would work; the handles are too thick. Probably go with monofilament line in that case.
bladecollectorr

Thanks for your display comments. I get what you are both saying. Pondering continues.

I would likely group knives that were about the same thickness to avoid the issues you mention and because the pen knives or LB-7-type knives I'm thinking about framing are about the same depth as their peers anyway. I don't want to mount and display my whole collection like this so I can pick and choose a group that would be easy to mount together.

My MOP or stag handled knives definitely won't get this treatment. I like them best in a curio or china cabinet. Each side of these type knives has a unique appearance and I also like to handle my knives too much to frame the majority of them.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I have three more of those Schrade Walden (not Schrade) countertop displays. A little scuffed up in places but pretty good. I will probably never use them because I don't have anyplace to hang them or set them on a surface. Besides, as Bladecollectorr has mentioned, I like to handle them and I store them more compactly and easier to lay my hands on accurate documentation. I use bins and cheapo brief cases for the big stuff and Harbor Freight plastic stackable parts boxes with removable changeable partitions for the folders. Cheap and good. Every box or bin has an 11x13 manila envelope with the documentation for everything in the box/bin. That does not include the extensive documentation (with images) of every knife- on my computer- .jpgs and .docxs. Folders within folders within folders, ad (almost) infinitum. I don't know what I will do with those SW displays; it is a big expensive hassle to ship them.
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

jxr1197 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:53 pm
washjacks.jpg
DOG GONE Jason......
somehow, I guess I missed your Washington family portrait....
THAT RIGHT THERE...... IS VERY IMPRESSIVE!!!!
2OTs, and a 3OT..... WOW.
Not to mention the Craftsman 2OT.....
WOW.... just WOW!
I am IN AWE!!!!
:shock:

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”