1942 Schrade Girl Scout Knife Question

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

1942 Schrade Girl Scout Knife Question

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

I received this 1942 Schrade Girl Scout knife today. Fantastic condition. Tang stamp worn. My question is this, and it applies ONLY to Schrade, 1942, wire jack scout knives. Did Schrade put nail nicks on ANY of the blades for this pattern of scout knife? I have yet to see one. ::shrug::
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
cody6268

Re: 1942 Schrade Girl Scout Knife Question

Post by cody6268 »

I can't say I've really ever seen that many with nail nicks. I see a spear point blade Jack, a clip point fishing knife (might be the same blade as the "Hunting and Fishing Knife") and what is basically a Toothpick in wire jack frames with nail nicks. But, the hawkbills and the Jacks with the bottle openers (mess kit knives as I call them) don't.
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

I can't remember seeing nail nicks on any blades in that particular frame but it's an easy opener pattern so it would be redundant, wouldn't it?
- Jason
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

As low cost and simple as these wire jacks were meant to be adding a nail pull would seem counterproductive. Can't say I remember ever seeing a spear pointed version like the OP with a nail pull. I have seen a good number with tang stamps that were poorly struck.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

jxr1197 wrote:I can't remember seeing nail nicks on any blades in that particular frame but it's an easy opener pattern so it would be redundant, wouldn't it?
It is not that easy to open this "easy opener" pattern. If you have ANY kind of moisture or substance on the fingers that you would use to pull up the blade, you can't get a good grip and your fingers slip off. It also has a good 1/2 stop and a wicked snap. I don't know what the average age of the Girl Scout who would use a pocket knife would be, but she would have to have strong (and dry) fingers. Which could explain why the Girl Scout knives that I've seen, are in such good condition. They couldn't be easily opened. I bet opening these types of knives was no picnic for Cub, or even Boy Scouts either. I could see a nail nick as a definite help on this pattern and other similar pattern knives with similar style blades.
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

New_Windsor_NY wrote:It is not that easy to open this "easy opener" pattern. If you have ANY kind of moisture or substance on the fingers that you would use to pull up the blade, you can't get a good grip and your fingers slip off. It also has a good 1/2 stop and a wicked snap. I don't know what the average age of the Girl Scout who would use a pocket knife would be, but she would have to have strong (and dry) fingers. Which could explain why the Girl Scout knives that I've seen, are in such good condition. They couldn't be easily opened. I bet opening these types of knives was no picnic for Cub, or even Boy Scouts either. I could see a nail nick as a definite help on this pattern and other similar pattern knives with similar style blades.
Your experience with the pattern is different than mine. I only have a couple of these wire jacks and haven't seen that kind of difficulty. Maybe mine have had enough use to 'break them in?' Maybe your knife is an outlier? Maybe it needs a drop of oil? Who knows. Geo Schrade was making these for 20+ years so it seems like it was a popular pattern but if they're known for being tough for kids to open then you can be sure there are collectors on here that'll be aware of the issue. You'll probably get better answers on this thread.
- Jason
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

I'm sure you already know that this isn't a traditional pocket knife but was part of Girl Scout #15-283 Chow Set that came in a green leather case with the Girl Scout stamp and was made between 1932 and 1953. Here's one (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Schrad ... 7675.l2557) with the original box that recently sold on eBay for $34.

Nice knife, never saw one with a nail nick. ::handshake::
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

George Schrade Bridgeport as opposed to Schrade Cut Co in Walden. 1942 is a patent date, not an actual date the knife was made. Many easy open knives have no nail nick, that is the reason they are called easy openers. One doesn't need strong fingernails to open one.

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”