Info on old Schrade box sought

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
John_Marshall

Info on old Schrade box sought

Post by John_Marshall »

Hello Everyone, this is my first post to this website. I have an old Schrade Walden knife box that I am trying to date. I have attached a couple pics for your review. I cannot find the 8923 pattern anywhere, anybody know what knife that is? I am planning to sell this item on Ebay soon and would like to get an idea of it's value before I do. If someone could help me with a reasonable starting amount, that would be great. Any info, like date of mfg. or what the 8923 is would be appreciated. I am selling my knife collection and would like to sell the more valuable stuff first.

Thanks in advance for your help.

-john
Attachments
3.jpg
1.jpg
KnifeSlinger#81

Re: Info on old Schrade box sought

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Hello and welcome to aapk John.

With the walden name that box would be 1946 and up, but the pattern number is a schrade cut co era number. After schrade transitioned to the walden name in '46 they were transitioning to new pattern numbers too. Many patterns were discontinued. The walden era catalogs up to 1954 still showed the old with the new pattern number for some knives. The old pattern would be described in parentheses. This box would be about 1946 to approximately 1954 based on the info gleaned from catalogs. The pattern was not shown in walden catalogs so it is likely they were made to use up parts on hand. They continued to make the same pattern but with a spey instead of pen blade called the 890. I have a walden era 890 but it has a pen blade with no pattern number, it's possible it could have come in a box exactly like yours and maybe it has no pattern because it was a holdover.

This is a cut from the 1926 catalog, the image is for a celluloid handled knife but if you look below that you'll see your pattern number. The 3 indicates bone.
IMG_4265.PNG
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

What was inside, but marketed a few years earlier, by the tang stamps.
8923 2 3.jpg
8923 2 4.jpg
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

tongueriver wrote:What was inside, but marketed a few years earlier, by the tang stamps.8923 2 3.jpg8923 2 4.jpg
That's a dandy Cal. ::tu::
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
John_Marshall

Post by John_Marshall »

KnifeSlinger#81 wrote:Hello and welcome to aapk John.

I have a walden era 890 but it has a pen blade with no pattern number, it's possible it could have come in a box exactly like yours and maybe it has no pattern because it was a holdover.
Thanks for the info, I will put this on Ebay today.

Thank You,
John
Thank You,
John
John_Marshall

Post by John_Marshall »

This box is on Ebay now, here's the link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192908965643

Thanks,
John
Thank You,