Schrade 292

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
Diaz4212

Schrade 292

Post by Diaz4212 »

I am not sure what I should do to put a Schrade 292 fishing knife back to useful condition. I have been a UH 285 trapper user and fan since I got my first one in 1978 or so as my first quality knife. I have owned several over the years. I picked this one up at a garage sale for $2 with a tragically broken blade. I knew right away it was meant for me, an avid fisherman. I am buying a replacement blade for a 285UH off eBay. Tri[image][/image]ed finding another original but no luck. Would repairing it this way be the best option? Any advice or opinions are welcome. What would you do? Who would you get to do the actual repairs?
Attachments
5FA11C1A-6A31-4DBE-9682-7E68539CDF7E.jpeg
F46DEDB6-5848-4848-AF78-24D62E5476D4.jpeg
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Re: Schrade 292

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Hi and ::welcome:: to AAPK. Try posting your question here.
viewforum.php?f=37
Knife Repair and Restoration.
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Diaz, that's actually a great find! I don't think I'd go the UH route. Your knife is pinned construction whereas the UH knives were keyhole construction. It's pretty likely that the hole in the tang of the Uncle Henry blade will be too big and it's also possible that the spring won't match the blade. I think you'd be better off waiting for a donor knife from that era. The Schrade Walden pinned 293 and 294 blades would most likely be a better match.

Eric

PS - This would work:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SCHRADE-WALDEN ... Sw9AxdEmqw

And this would work:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-SCHRAD ... 0940!US!-1

Or you could hold out 'till you find one a bit cheaper.
Diaz4212

Post by Diaz4212 »

Thanks for the information. I’ll add the 293 and the 294 to my search as well

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”