Newbie help.

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
Caseman601225

Newbie help.

Post by Caseman601225 »

I don’t know enough about Schrade knives. Not by a long shot. I recently talked a friend out of this one and have been unsuccessful in some internet searches to find out about it. The knife is just shy of 4” closed with a 2 7/8” main clip point blade. The scales I’d swear are red dyed bone although my eyes are getting old and if you tell me they’re delrin I’ll have to believe you. The shield is actually a mother of pearl disk/plug. It had fallen out and that’s how I talked him out of it (It’s BROKE, Carl! Lol). Some super glue fixed that. Tang says SCHRADE+ over U.S.A. LTD. it’s been sharpened and there’s some minor scratches on the blade but the blades are all full. I’m gonna carry the heck out of it. Love a Stockman!

I’m curious about, well, everything. Does LTD mean a limited or special order? What’s the + mean? What pattern is it? I had a USA OT 80T from way back that was my daily companion for years before it vanished. This, I think, is about the same size. What steel did they use in their stainless. In general I’d love some education. Thanks.
Attachments
E6F93B96-4350-4027-8149-EF138D417E29.jpeg
4D989734-FC94-4C71-82B2-2D28302F36FA.jpeg
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Newbie help.

Post by Shearer »

The LTD means Limited Edition
Here is a site that you can find a lot of information on Schrade etc:

http://www.collectors-of-schrades-r.us/

Grant
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

LTD means limited, but that's not saying much because these limited editions are usually in large numbers and therefore are not inordinately more valuable. Your handles are bone. General time frame no earlier than 1990s, I think. The plus sign means stainless steel and I believe 440C. The pattern appears to be a variant of the 8OT. I have never seen a Schrade with a round pearl shield. Interesting. Looks like a nice knife!
Caseman601225

Post by Caseman601225 »

Thank y’all. I agree the MOP was a new one on me. I’ve collected Case and some Schatt/Queen knives over the years. I like the history about as much as I like the knives.

It took a great edge. Super steels are great but I’ve never minded touching up an edge every day or three so 440C is good stuff for what I’ll want. I’ve dulled a few knives that I had hell bringing an edge back on. Always been partial to carbon steel in traditional users. It may be just between my ears but it seems like I get them sharper. This does strike me as 80T size. I love those things. I’ll definitely check out that link. I appreciate y’all.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Information about most things Schrade can be found in the AAPK Research section which is accessed by clicking on “Research” in the light grey header up at the top of the page, if you haven’t seen it before. That will take you here: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/page/research.php. Scroll down to the Schrade section, where you can find answers to what Schrade+ means among other things. ::tu::

Here’s an excerpt for example.

Ken
Attachments
7E77B2E6-95DA-45E1-930C-0B0AB2B662DD.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Caseman601225

Post by Caseman601225 »

Hey that’s great! No, I haven’t found a lot of the site’s features. Thank you.
ea42

Post by ea42 »

The handles and pearl aren't original to the knife, note the complete lack of any visible pins. Schrade didn't do any skeletons in that pattern.

Eric
Caseman601225

Post by Caseman601225 »

I’ve wondered that myself. Well it’s still a great user. Thanks.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I think the bone is Culpepper's American Standard jigging pattern and I believe they sell the MOP circles as well. I think someone rehandled an existing knife.

From what I can see viewing from my phone, it appears whoever worked on it did a decient job. ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

“In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” - George Orwell
Caseman601225

Post by Caseman601225 »

Thank you. I think, based on comparisons with another knife, it’s an 881 pattern. Correct me if I’m wrong though. I’m going to look up Culpeppers. I love this stuff. ::ds::

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”