Are they kidding??

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
Caseman601225

Are they kidding??

Post by Caseman601225 »

One of my dearest old friends, knowing I love knives, gifted me a Schrade+ USA 881 as shown in the photos yesterday. I’m still new to Schrade collecting (as in, I know nothing!) so I started internet digging. I wasn’t interested in value. Just wanted to know Year, place, etc.

But is the Amazon seller serious??? My buddy is a good friend, but $269? I’m laughing. But if somebody says that’s what these go for I’m gonna have to re-evaluate our friendship because he likes me WAY more than I like him :lol:
Attachments
B1D9B193-EFE6-41D0-A40C-9913FB2D13DA.jpeg
30D68F67-33D6-445A-9CFE-12AE963E3F50.jpeg
99C828F1-545B-4430-8155-0FB2D4F19442.jpeg
tongueriver

Re: Are they kidding??

Post by tongueriver »

I believe that was marketed as a 'Founder's Edition.' Unlike all earlier versions of that pattern, this one has stainless steel blades. I have seen these sell in the $40-$80 range. It was the last of that pattern sold before the 2004 bankruptcy.
Caseman601225

Post by Caseman601225 »

In my digging a few minutes ago I did find that info about the Founders Edition. I’m assuming the picture on the tin is the Walden factory, right?

Oh, and just so nobody will think I’m a jerk, I called my friend and told him if somebody offers me $270 I’m selling and I’ll cut him in for 10%. Fair is fair. He said he didn’t blame me. :D
Caseman601225

Post by Caseman601225 »

Interestingly, I found where someone donated one of these back in 09 for sale on this site with proceeds to go to the site, which is awesome. That one was still in the plastic, tin and all. And Dale said the plastic made a difference as to the value. I’d never have imagined. But it shows how much I still have to learn I guess
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

That seller, or one using the same name on eBay anyhow, has been the subject in numerous threads here. Until now I was not aware he was selling on Amazon in addition to eBay. The seller purports to represent a charity called “Door in the Wall” which researchers here have been unable to verify as a valid organization. The seller’s prices are always astronomically high and his descriptions are wordy BS. Attempts to communicate with him and question his listings are met with name calling and rude responses.

In summary, I wouldn’t put any stock in a listing by that seller. Whether the charity is legit is beside the point.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Caseman601225

Post by Caseman601225 »

I already decided he was a shyster. It ticks me off when I see people try to rip folks in the name of charity. Unfortunately he’ll probably eventually find a buyer.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

From the looks of it he's not been selling on Amazon too long. He has 100% rating that is only been rated by one buyer so far.
Caseman, in general the more of the of the original packaging, paperwork, box or the sleeve, etc, that came around the tin, all of these things can increase the value. Obviously that doesn't apply to old knives but when dealing with new knives, especially a special edition like this, having more of the original accoutrements that accompanied the knife generally brings a higher price, at least as far as I have observed with Schrade sales. But like everything there are exceptions. ::shrug::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
bladecollectorr

Post by bladecollectorr »

Mumbleypeg wrote:The seller purports to represent a charity called “Door in the Wall” which researchers here have been unable to verify as a valid organization.

In summary, I wouldn’t put any stock in a listing by that seller. Whether the charity is legit is beside the point.

Ken
I agree that these prices are waaaaay too high and I agree about inflated/wrong descriptions. All are things that annoy collectors. I would never buy from them because I would feel kind of conned regarding the value of my purchase. On the other hand...

I think this "researcher" has established it to be a legit charity though. They (not just "him") have a website, a large board of directors and do indeed seem to be actively organizing events to help the disabled. http://www.ditwtexas.org/about-us.html

Just thought I'd add the link in the interest of fairness. Caveat emptor - in all ways at all times!
I don't always respond to great posts but I always appreciate seeing them. Thanks for posting! ::tu::
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

bladecollectorr wrote:
Mumbleypeg wrote:The seller purports to represent a charity called “Door in the Wall” which researchers here have been unable to verify as a valid organization.

Ken
I agree that these prices are waaaaay too high and I agree about inflated/wrong descriptions. All are things that annoy collectors. I would never buy from them because I would feel kind of conned regarding the value of my purchase. On the other hand...

I think this "researcher" has established it to be a legit charity though. They (not just "him") have a website, a large board of directors and do indeed seem to be actively organizing events to help the disabled. http://www.ditwtexas.org/about-us.html

Just thought I'd add the link in the interest of fairness. Caveat emptor - in all ways at all times!
I hope you’re right. I had forgotten about the web site. What I remembered is this thread and several others like it, recounting interactions with the organization (or at least their eBay representative). viewtopic.php?f=2&t=46957&hilit=Charity

Doesn’t bode well for the organization. ::shrug:: Unfortunately when such things happen that’s what most folks remember. Assuming they are a legitimate charity, these kind of actions aren’t doing them any good.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
bladecollectorr

Post by bladecollectorr »

I am in no way advocating buying from these folks. Just sayin' it's a legit registered charity. They may give themselves salaries that eat up 80% of the gross. Who knows? Not-for-profits decide what their own directors salaries should be. I personally ignore all their listings. Schrade ain't yet rare enough to pay anywhere near their prices.
I don't always respond to great posts but I always appreciate seeing them. Thanks for posting! ::tu::

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”