Can you Schrade guys help me figure out this hunter?

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
bladecollectorr

Re: Can you Schrade guys help me figure out this hunter?

Post by bladecollectorr »

kootenay joe wrote:The Schrade "Marine Pearl" that is on their lobster knives looks like real pearl. Could handles on O.P. knife be the "Onyx" ? Or 'yellow cracked ice' because it was an SFO for Sears or other business ? I do not think it is "Marine Pearl".
kj
I don't think Schrade's celluloid "Marine Pearl" always looks closer to real MOP. Please post an example if you have one. You may be looking at real MOP.

Schrade Cut Co had many different celluloid patterns. I think the colour of old celluloid handles can fade and change over time. When I found the OP knife in the catalogs I wasn't too concerned about exactly what original colour the soon to be discarded handles were so I just went with a yellowed "Marine Pearl" option as expressly stated in the catalog. I was thinking it started out a bit "whiter" like real MOP and over 70+ years it yellowed as it cracked and shrunk.

Compared to a bunch of later Schrade Walden 876 examples I still think Mike's knife is most likely "Marine Pearl". During Schrade Walden era the celluloid 876 only came in "Marine Pearl". Most of the examples I have seen are quite yellow. The last two pics are of an 876S that was sold by ea42. The celluloid is the yellowish colour "Marine Pearl" I expect to see. Do these not look like Mike's knife?
876 01.jpg
876 02.jpg
876 03.jpg
876 04.jpg
This newer Schrade Walden 876 example is indeed "whiter" but you can still see areas that are yellow. What will it's colour be in another 30 years?
876 05.jpg
Schrade Cut Co had a bunch of different celluloid "pearl" options: Abalone Pearl, Blue Pearl, Black Pearl, Golden Pearl, Green Pearl, Marine Pearl, Smoked Pearl, Persian Pearl. I do not believe Schrade itself ever used the term "cracked ice" to describe a celluloid pattern although many collectors do. orvet's knife might well be "Green Pearl" celluloid.

If anyone has confirmed examples of the 8 different Cut Co celluloid pearl variations I'd love to see them lined up to eliminate our guesswork as to which is which. If anyone can 100% guarantee their 70+ year-old shrunken-handle celluloid knives are exactly the same colour as when they started out, well, I will eat my hat.

Sooooo, while the knife is indeed a 2104 3/8 feel free to add suffixes AC, AP, BLUE, BP, GP, G, M, P, or PP as you see fit.

Maybe ea42 will weigh in on this one. I'd love to hear his opinion.
celluloid options 1926.JPG
I don't always respond to great posts but I always appreciate seeing them. Thanks for posting! ::tu::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

My examples of "Marine Pearl" were Schrade-Walden lobster knives that came in a dark wood box. I collect pearl knives and these S-W looked like real pearl. Another collector linked me to the old flyer from when these were being sold and the handles are described as "Marine Pearl".
Schrade Cut Co was a different company, owned by different people. They might have used the term "Marine Pearl" for a different material than what is on the S-W "Marine Pearl" knives i had. "Had" because i sold them a few years ago.
kj
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Well, not exactly like the original covers but I think these will do....
Here she is in her new clothes....
finished.JPG
Thanks for the help everyone!!

Mike
:D
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Close enough for government work.

It seems repetitive to say "nice work" but it really is some "nice work".
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Thanks for the complement Jerry!
Yep, I agree.... maybe the government would approve, BUT, you never know.

KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Meridian_Mike wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:14 pm Well, not exactly like the original covers but I think these will do....
Here she is in her new clothes....
finished.JPG

Thanks for the help everyone!!

Mike
I like that. Looking good.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
LRV

Post by LRV »

Mike,
Love the new covers.
Thanks for showing.
Larry
“A knife in a man’s hand is as precious as a diamond necklace on a woman’s neck” - Michael Mirando I.S.C.
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Thanks ya'll

Mike

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”