Scrimshaw drawings

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
Oldredbone67

Scrimshaw drawings

Post by Oldredbone67 »

Does anyone have a list of the different drawings on the scrimshaw knives? Does the drawing have to be signed to be authentic or are there “ fakes” out there ?
Thanks
tongueriver

Re: Scrimshaw drawings

Post by tongueriver »

I would not expect to see fakes of hot-stamped images on Delrin plastic handles of knives. There are at least many hundreds of images, but probably more than a thousand. Several companies ordered small runs. There are commemoratives (sp?). There are special runs of several subjects. Only a minuscle (sp?) fragment are actual 'real' scrimshaw on bone or ivory or pearl or micarta. None of these would be a target for counterfeiters. All of the authentic original art scrimshaw knives sold by Schrade would fit in a 12 pack cooler. I sold one to a member here and I am not sure that was such a good idea. It probably would have been worth $1000 a few years down the line. Oh well; I ended up with some beer and Cheetos out of the deal and bought another knife or two. Meanwhile, I still have two original authentic scrimshaw Schrade/IXL canoe stockman knives with real mother of pearl handles that I would release.
bladecollectorr

Post by bladecollectorr »

tongueriver didn't steer you wrong (pun intended). Anyone could special-order knives with a heat-stamped scrimshaw design of their choosing. So to get a completely inclusive list is pretty much impossible.

Knives were produced for the yearly series of "Schrade Scrimshaw" (1975-1977) later called "Schrade Scrimshaw of the Great Outdoors" (1978-1981) then finally called "Schrade Scrimshaw of the Great American Outdoors" 1982-1996. These can all be found in link below. Make sure you look at all four pages to see all the flyers.

http://collectors-of-schrades-r.us/scrims/index.htm
scrimcharts.jpg
I don't always respond to great posts but I always appreciate seeing them. Thanks for posting! ::tu::
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

bladecollectorr, Thank you very much for posting the link with all those images. Very helpful.
Oldredbone67

Post by Oldredbone67 »

Yes, thank you , that is what I was looking for !

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”