Schrade Ltd

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
Beag1eGal

Schrade Ltd

Post by Beag1eGal »

Hello, I posted this just on random forum, I think, and kj was kind enough to reply as best he could and suggest I post it here.
I was wondering if anyone can tell me about when these knives were made. Thank you.
Attachments
20190925_214431.jpg
Screenshot_20190925-214401_Chrome.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Schrade Ltd

Post by doglegg »

Beag1eGal wrote:Hello, I posted this just on random forum, I think, and kj was kind enough to reply as best he could and suggest I post it here.
I was wondering if anyone can tell me about when these knives were made. Thank you.
I'm surprised that no one has commented Beag1eGal. I'm pretty much ignorant on the subject but my eyes say that is a good looking knife. Good luck with your question. ::nod:: ::handshake::
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

That one has a SCHRADE+ stamp... and as I understand, that means it has a stainless steel blade(S).

My guess.... and I am far from an expert.... would be it was made in the 80's.

(I will be corrected later I am sure)

:D
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

My best guess is it's an "unfinished" Old Timer Classic. There are a ton of unfinished limited edition knives out there. I have a few from different limited editions. That would put your knife in the 2000 to 2003 range.
Attachments
SC00-CP171.jpg
bladecollectorr

Post by bladecollectorr »

I agree with Mustanger. It could well be an unfinished example from the year 2000 "Old Timer Classics" series he suggests.

When I saw your knife another possible series came to mind. The first "Cigar Box Classics" series (2002) but then I realized they used the old "Schrade Walden" stamp on these so that doesn't fit. Flyer below anyway.
SC02-215 .jpg
I don't always respond to great posts but I always appreciate seeing them. Thanks for posting! ::tu::
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

bladecollectorr wrote:I agree with Mustanger. It could well be an unfinished example from the year 2000 "Old Timer Classics" series he suggests.

When I saw your knife another possible series came to mind. The first "Cigar Box Classics" series (2002) but then I realized they used the old "Schrade Walden" stamp on these so that doesn't fit. Flyer below anyway.
In pursuit of accuracy, I looked up the Old Timer Classics and found them in the 2002 price list and on a web page from the Schrade web archives in 2003. The Cigar Box Classics pictured in the flyer are from the 2004 series. The first CBC series started in 2002 or 2003. It seems I remember reading a discussion where someone made a case that the first CBC series ran from 2002 to 2003. In any case, the 2003 first series knives are of the green bone type of knives and not the "Tree Bark" 2004 series shown in the flyer. Pictured here are examples of both. I do not own all of these. I included two examples of unfinished knives that I do own, plus the "Tree Bark" stockman.
Attachments
tCBC '03 Green Bone.jpg
tCBC '03 Green Bone CSW982 (2).jpg
tCBC CSW98 '04.jpg
tCBC Unfinished '03 CSW77 (3).JPG
tCBC Unfinished '04 CSW77-CSW296.JPG
bladecollectorr

Mustanger wrote:
bladecollectorr wrote:I agree with Mustanger. It could well be an unfinished example from the year 2000 "Old Timer Classics" series he suggests.

In pursuit of accuracy, I looked up the Old Timer Classics and found them in the 2002 price list and on a web page from the Schrade web archives in 2003. The Cigar Box Classics pictured in the flyer are from the 2004 series. The first CBC series started in 2002 or 2003. It seems I remember reading a discussion where someone made a case that the first CBC series ran from 2002 to 2003. In any case, the 2003 first series knives are of the green bone type of knives and not the "Tree Bark" 2004 series shown in the flyer. Pictured here are examples of both. I do not own all of these. I included two examples of unfinished knives that I do own, plus the "Tree Bark" stockman.
You don't have to remember or guess. The date is printed right on the flyers. Bottom-left in fine print.

"Old Timer Classics" - 2000 - flyer SC00-CP171
http://collectors-of-schrades-r.us/FLYE ... -CP171.htm

"Schrade Walden Cigar Box Classics" - series 1 - brown bone - 2002 - flyer SC02-215
http://collectors-of-schrades-r.us/FLYE ... 215%20.htm

"Schrade Walden Cigar Box Classics" - series 2 - green "mountain" bone - 2003 - flyer SC03-CP224
http://collectors-of-schrades-r.us/FLYE ... -CP224.htm
SC02-215 .jpg
I don't always respond to great posts but I always appreciate seeing them. Thanks for posting! ::tu::
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

I realize there are discrepancies in the info on some of these later knives. But I'm going with what was posted on the Schrade website in those years. If you would like to look for yourself you can go to this link. The archives are starting to fall apart but if you're persistent and patient you can find lots of info. Including that same flyer in 2004 along with individual pictures of the knives.

http://web.archive.org/web/*/www.schradeknives.com
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

Okay. In pursuit of accuracy, I have a new theory about the 2004 CBC knives. There are no finished 2004 CBC knives.
Everyone has always referred to the brown bone knives as the 2004 series. Including the Schrade web archive. When I first found the archive a few years ago, the same pictures of 2002 brown bone knives were posted with a description of the 2004 knives with a jigging pattern they called Tree Bark. This is verified by the 2004 catalog. I've noticed that the jigging on my unfinished knives is not the same as the finished CBC knives I have. No one before has mentioned the 2002 knives. NOW, I see on the web archives that the same pictures of brown bone knives are posted in 2004 (not 2002), but with the description of the green bone knives instead of the Tree Bark. Confusing. Obviously the web archives are not reliable. SO! I have concluded that since I have never seen a finished Tree Bark knife, they must not have made it to production and the unfinished ones out there are End of Days knives when Schrade was reported to have been slapping knives together from whatever was laying around. Maybe now I have the truth about these darn things! Or....maybe not. LOL ::shrug::
Attachments
tCBC CSW296 '04 (3).jpg
u296 SW Bone EOD (5).jpg
bladecollectorr

My two variations of the OP pattern. Added because we all love knife pics.

CSW722 from 2003. I do like the green mountain bone.
01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg
05.jpg
06.jpg
07.jpg
08.jpg
bladecollectorr

72OT from 1987. "Compliments of Schrade Cutlery" dealer knife.
01.JPG
02.JPG
03.jpg
05.JPG
06.JPG
07.jpg
Beag1eGal

Post by Beag1eGal »

Thank you all so much for the information. It is so awesome to read about this and see al these wonderful pictures.

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”