Let's see that ephemera!

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
jxr1197

Let's see that ephemera!

Post by jxr1197 »

We all love those non-sharps that complement the collection. I just got this clock and have to say it's my greatest bit of ephemera (even if it's not authentic to the era, lol.) What items do you folks have in your stash?
wall.jpg
Schrade clock.jpg
- Jason
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Re: Let's see that ephemera!

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

jxr1197 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:50 pm We all love those non-sharps that complement the collection. I just got this clock and have to say it's my greatest bit of ephemera (even if it's not authentic to the era, lol.) What items do you folks have in your stash?
Hi Jason. Sent you a PM awhile ago. Guess you didn't get it. The Mexican Imperial hasn't arrived yet. It's coming from Canada, don't know if I'll ever get it. The PM was in regards to something completely different. Anyway, here is my Schrade non-knife, knife related item. A Craftsman 9494 tang stamp punch tool.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:14 amHi Jason. Sent you a PM awhile ago. Guess you didn't get it.
Hi Skip - cool tang stamp! I've seen a few of those for sale lately but haven't gotten my hands on one. I did have a PM from you a few days ago when I logged in and it said something along the lines of "this message has been deleted by it's author" and there was no way to open it. The only option it gave was to delete the message. Try again and if I get the same message I'll screen shot it and post it here so maybe Dale could tell us what went wrong.
- Jason
LRV

Post by LRV »

Here are a few Ive had for a while.
http://www.collectors-of-schrades-r.us/bling/index.htm

Hats, Shirts, a Marble and others havent posted in a while..
“A knife in a man’s hand is as precious as a diamond necklace on a woman’s neck” - Michael Mirando I.S.C.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Lots of old posts here about ephemera for those interested in them. Here's one viewtopic.php?f=35&t=10709&hilit=Ephemera

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

LRV wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:51 amHere are a few Ive had for a while.
That scrim stamp is awesome - first one I have seen!
Mumbleypeg wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:58 amLots of old posts here about ephemera for those interested in them.
Lots to go through there - thanks for posting the link ::tu::

Here's an old post card showing the Walden factory - post marked 1907. It's the earliest image of the Schrade factory I have seen.
1907.jpg
1907back.jpg
- Jason
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Jason, here's the uncolorized photo that your post card was produced from. That date is only a few years after they started up ::tu:: :
Schrade factory pic 1910.jpg

Larry, that stamp for the Old Timer display case is amazing!

Eric
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

ea42 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:07 pm Jason, here's the uncolorized photo that your post card was produced from. That date is only a few years after they started up ::tu::
That's crazy that you have the original photo. I never thought the colored version was a great image but in sepia tone it's just stark. I can see why they took the crayons to it.

Here's another postcard. Old radio operators used to send each other these QSL cards as a way to confirm distant signal reception (for bragging rights) and maybe also there was a social aspect to it. These cards were designed and ordered by the operators - the QSL has nothing to do with Schrade except the sender, Fred, lived in Walden and thought it would be cool to decorate his cards with a radio knife manufactured in his backyard. I love how he taunts Chuck in the message. The post mark is Walden 1938. That knife is first seen in the 1936 catalog.
QSL.jpg
- Jason
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Geez Jason that's amazing, I've never seen anything like it. What are the chances of finding something like that in such good condition? I'm glad some folks back then had a little foresight and didn't toss everything out.

Here's a shot of the interior of the Schrade shop from 1911 (The date's on the box that says "Haley's Room", I nearly forgot about that lol). You can be sure some of those guys are old Sheffield craftsmen.
Schrade Factory 1911.jpg
Schrade Factory 1911 2.jpg
Eric
black mamba

Post by black mamba »

I'm not sure if this counts, but my I-XL stockman was part of the Irv Trachtenberg Collection. Irv was the former Marketing and Product Development Manager of Schrade Cutlery from early 1970's until 1984. I believe Jim Parker bought a chunk of that collection and sold them individually on the secondary markets.
SchradeIXLpackage.jpg
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

The 1911 photo is fantastic - I love that vise in the pic. They must have just wired the building, there's a combination of gas and electric lights hanging. Second row, second from the left - looks like an early image of Moe Howard! :lol:
black mamba wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:04 amI'm not sure if this counts
Certificates definitely count as ephemera! Great knife by the way. I only recently bought a set of them and didn't appreciate these knives until I got my hands on a few.

Here's a couple of clothing items. The jacket was a last place prize in a Schrade contest in 1984. The flyer said they would give out 200 of them. The T shirt came from a second hand shop in the Hudson Valley. I don't know if they were sold or maybe handed out to employees? It would have been roughly the same period as the jacket.
schradeshirtandjacket.jpg
- Jason
bladecollectorr

Post by bladecollectorr »

"Schrade Old Timer Driver" Harry Gant bio/promo sheet. Semi-gloss, high-quality, 2-sided 8"x10"
front.jpg
rear.jpg

Schrade Cutlery Co. postcard made before 1911. Similar to the previous postcard with the dog in the picture. Lithograph from colorized (painted) black-and-white photo.
My example:
front watermark.jpg
rear watermark.jpg
The reverse side of another example that is post-marked 1911.
post-marked example.jpg
I don't always respond to great posts but I always appreciate seeing them. Thanks for posting! ::tu::
bladecollectorr

100th Anniversary money-clip. I put it to good use.
01.jpg
03.jpg
07.jpg
I don't always respond to great posts but I always appreciate seeing them. Thanks for posting! ::tu::
bladecollectorr

Thick, 1981 dealer binder of flyers. Some flyers for older patterns still being sold in 1981 are from the '70s. 4-page Schrade I*XL centerfold was something I'd never seen before. This was the era when Schrade first convinced me they were all kinds of awesome. I loved seeing all these ads in magazines back then.

I really wanted a "Guide's Choice" 144UH when I was 14. The flyer hit me hard. I settled for a Rappala fillet that was of far more use to me. Now I've had a half-dozen different 144UH knives over the years. The itch has been scratched.
01.jpg
05.jpg
06.jpg
04.jpg
02.jpg
IXL 81-14 center-fold pg 1.jpg
IXL 81-14 center-fold pg 2.jpg
IXL 81-14 center-fold pg 3.jpg
IXL 81-14 center-fold pg 4.jpg
bladecollectorr

Not the first to make this joke and likely won't be the last. At Christmas, I have Schrade balls.
01.jpg
04.jpg
03.jpg
02.jpg
04.jpg
bladecollectorr

Old Timer keychain from 1986 Schrade Almanac order-form. It's a nice 3D raised style.
01.jpg
02.jpg

Schrade Knives playing cards. I need a second deck to use because I'm not inclined to open the virgin package.
01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
bladecollectorr

jxr1197 wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:43 am Here's a couple of clothing items. The jacket was a last place prize in a Schrade contest in 1984. The flyer said they would give out 200 of them. The T shirt came from a second hand shop in the Hudson Valley. I don't know if they were sold or maybe handed out to employees? It would have been roughly the same period as the jacket.
I think the jacket was still being sold a couple years after the contest as seen in the1986 Schrade Almanac. Last page $12USD (also shown on first page).
http://www.collectors-of-schrades-r.us/ ... manacs.pdf

1984 contest links;
http://collectors-of-schrades-r.us/FLYE ... 84-C-0.htm
http://collectors-of-schrades-r.us/FLYE ... 84-C-1.htm
http://collectors-of-schrades-r.us/FLYE ... 84-C-2.htm

If anyone posts a pic of that 1st Prize 1985 Old Timer Dodge Ramcharger currently in their driveway my jaw will likely drop right off.
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

bladecollectorr wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:00 amOld Timer keychain from 1986 Schrade Almanac order-form. It's a nice 3D raised style.
I have one of those and did not know about the 1986 Almanac reference - excellent. ::tu::
You're posting some great stuff here but that dealer binder is all I'm focusing on. What a great piece!

Here's another random bit of awesomeness - a money clip made out of the side of a 1983(?) Heritage barlow.
moneyclip.JPG
- Jason
semroc

Post by semroc »

Wow! Great stuff. Thanks for posting. Really like tha Harry Gant promo at Talladega.
It's important not to think too much about what you do. Lee Marvin
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

Despite the ugly rumors it turns out I have NOT lost my marbles...
marbles.jpg
- Jason
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Amazing stuff, that money clip is a new one on me! Bladecollector you've got an amazing collection!

Here's an old letterhead from Schrade Cut Co;
Schrade Cutlery Co Invoice (2).jpg
All the bosses at the 1997 20yr dinner:
Schrade 1997 20yr Dinner086.jpg
I have no idea why the above picture comes out sideways. It's correct in the file and comes out right if you click on it. Strange ::hmm::
Not sure who the gent is on the far left, but next is Joe Hufnagel, Wally Gardiner behind him, Dave Swinden in the blue suit, not sure who the next guy is, last is Jim Economos.

Eric
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

The subject matter of that letter is killer. I've got that letterhead dated 1930 and it's correspondence to Lamson credit checking a new buyer. I also have Lamson's response saying the customer was a slow payer but a solid risk for up to $200.

Here's a pic of Schrade's future Ellenville home. The post mark is 1915.
upc1.jpg
upc2.jpg
- Jason
bladecollectorr

Great stuff folks! Thanks for taking the time to post it and for the kind words regarding my collection.

Next up is a stamped and enameled 8" x 10" metal sign duplicating the artwork on the 1996 "Schrade Scrimshaw of the Great American Outdoors" collection. These were included with the full-set counter display. 1996 was the only year these signs were included.
1996 Schrade Scrimshaw sign.jpg
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

bladecollectorr wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:00 am Old Timer keychain from 1986 Schrade Almanac order-form. It's a nice 3D raised style.
01.jpg02.jpg

Schrade Knives playing cards. I need a second deck to use because I'm not inclined to open the virgin package.

01.jpg02.jpg03.jpg
I have these 3 decks, but I had to open them to see what they looked like.
Attachments
20191103_135434.jpg
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

I haven't seen one of those scrim signs in a while - good one ::tu::. The playing cards are another one I haven't gotten my hand on.

Here's a throwback patch that makes me nostalgic for my old denim jacket...
patch1.jpg
patch2.jpg
- Jason

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”