Let's see that ephemera!

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
jxr1197

Re: Let's see that ephemera!

Post by jxr1197 »

1978/79 Dealer paraphernalia - dual promotion folder, filled with flyers for both :D
D1.jpg
D5.jpg
D2.jpg
D3.jpg
D4.jpg
- Jason
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

A recent pick up - another one of George's inventions.
drill gauge.jpg
- Jason
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

Added this week
cutcobox.jpg
- Jason
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

These pins were given to employees at Schrade after a certain number of years with the company. This particular pin was made between 1997-2004.
employeepin.jpg
pin1.jpg
pin3.jpg
-
It's a tiny little thing:
pin5.jpg
- Jason
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

I recently picked up this large (22"x17") poster that was seemingly printed as a sales tool for jobbers. That image was used from the 30s thru the 50s (maybe 60s?) but based on the price I'm thinking this has to be way down on the early side.
Attachments
jmposter.jpg
- Jason
bladecollectorr

Post by bladecollectorr »

December 1946 issue of Fortune magazine. Condition is "excellent - not read- crisp- top has and area of wear on the cover"

This is the edition with the ad for the Schrade Walden "Fortune Knife" which was a $125.00 MSRP, 14K gold, 3-blade sleeveboard lobster.
Dec 1946 01.jpg
Dec 1946 02.jpg
Dec 1946 03.jpg
Dec 1946 04.jpg
Dec 1946 05.jpg
Dec 1946 06.jpg
Dec 1946 07.jpg
SW-1946 x1200w.jpg
I don't always respond to great posts but I always appreciate seeing them. Thanks for posting! ::tu::
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

1930's/1940's dealer poster. Imperial used that same image for close to 3 decades but the price makes me think it's an older one.
dealerposter.jpg
- Jason
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

jxr1197 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 6:16 pm 1930's/1940's dealer poster. Imperial used that same image for close to 3 decades but the price makes me think it's an older one.
Jason, here is a page of some JACK-MASTER displays from a 1953 catalog. Only one display has the price on it, upper left corner and it shows it as 50 cents. Unless it was just that particular style of knife that was 50 cents.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
LRV

Post by LRV »

“A knife in a man’s hand is as precious as a diamond necklace on a woman’s neck” - Michael Mirando I.S.C.
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

LRV wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 6:36 pm Some from Imperial 1936 catalog.
http://www.collectors-of-schrades-r.us/ ... Hammer.pdf
I didn't notice it before, but in your '36 catalog on page 60 is the same poster actually printed with the 25 cent price. Thanks ::tu::

As long as I'm here I'll add this fancy envelope - coincidentally also from 1936.
envelope1936.JPG
- Jason
LRV

Post by LRV »

It was a very good year :D
“A knife in a man’s hand is as precious as a diamond necklace on a woman’s neck” - Michael Mirando I.S.C.
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

I guess you could consider this ephemera. Here you go.............

I bought the postcard (last 2 pictures) last night. I bought the 5 item lot this morning. Here's the description (seller's) of the lot.

"The listing you are viewing is for Four (4) Vehicle Lot of Vintage NASCAR Die-cast Cars with Racing Truck including: 1/96 Skoal Racing Car Transporter (with Display case and Original box), 1/25 #7 Harry Gant Chevy Lumina, 1/43 #33 Hary Gant Skoal Chevy Lumina, Harry Gant #33 Pen Knife (New On Card) and 1/23 Hary Gant Skoal Chevy Lumina."

Besides the Case pocket knife, which is NOT why I bought the lot, the connection between this lot and pocket knives is that SCHRADE is one of the #33's sponsors. I don't know how long the sponsorship lasted. You can see the OLD TIMER w/knife "decal" on both sides of one of the cars (sorry about the pictures, not mine). You can see it much clearer in the postcard pictures. The postcard, from the 1992 Winston Cup Series, shows Harry Gant posing with his car at the Talladega Track in Alabama. The car in the postcard is different from the scale car. Luckily, I'm a NASCAR fan so this was a win-win deal for me.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (23.73 KiB) Viewed 4048 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (27.48 KiB) Viewed 4048 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (42.86 KiB) Viewed 4048 times

Skip
bladecollectorr

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:30 pm I guess you could consider this ephemera. Here you go.............

I bought the postcard (last 2 pictures) last night...

Besides the Case pocket knife, which is NOT why I bought the lot, the connection between this lot and pocket knives is that SCHRADE is one of the #33's sponsors. I don't know how long the sponsorship lasted. You can see the OLD TIMER w/knife "decal" on both sides of one of the cars (sorry about the pictures, not mine). You can see it much clearer in the postcard pictures. The postcard, from the 1992 Winston Cup Series, shows Harry Gant posing with his car at the Talladega Track in Alabama. The car in the postcard is different from the scale car. Luckily, I'm a NASCAR fan so this was a win-win deal for me.
That's only the 2nd of these I've seen. I posted mine earlier in this same thread: viewtopic.php?f=64&t=64301&p=769340&hilit=gant#p769340 It shows what's on the back. It's not a post-card. It's a two-sided semi-gloss promo pic.

The Gant/Schrade connection started in the late '80s and continued through to "The Bandit's Last Ride" in 1994.

Mine goes on display when these knives come out to play.
with bling.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg
01.jpg
01a cropped rotated.jpg
02a rotated cropped.jpg
I don't always respond to great posts but I always appreciate seeing them. Thanks for posting! ::tu::
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

bladecollectorr wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:49 pm
New_Windsor_NY wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:30 pm I guess you could consider this ephemera. Here you go.............

I bought the postcard (last 2 pictures) last night...

That's only the 2nd of these I've seen. I posted mine earlier in this same thread: viewtopic.php?f=64&t=64301&p=769340&hilit=gant#p769340 It shows what's on the back. It's not a post-card. It's a two-sided semi-gloss promo pic.

The Gant/Schrade connection started in the late '80s and continued through to "The Bandit's Last Ride" in 1994.

Mine goes on display when these knives come out to play.

Thank you for the information. ::tu:: Great looking items! ::tu:: Now I've got to find the SCHRADE #33 knife. The seller called the picture a postcard, which would've been fine, but a promo picture is even better. ::tu::

Skip
bladecollectorr

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:08 pm Thank you for the information. ::tu:: Great looking items! ::tu:: Now I've got to find the SCHRADE #33 knife. The seller called the picture a postcard, which would've been fine, but a promo picture is even better. ::tu::
Enjoy! There are about 8 (? going by memory) Schrade/Gant knives. I think there are the only 4 LB7-types. I haven't been able to nail-down production name and numbers for the micarta scrimshaw knife.

HG7LTD - Harry Gant LB-7 pattern, Special gold filled etch, LTD. tang stamp, brass bolsters, antiqued coined N/S shield, Oak box with glazed tile lid, Ship 9/15/92 - 200 pcs.

HG93LTD - LB-7 w/ green fibron handles, serialized N.S. bolsters, coined N.S. handle shield, gold blade etch "Mr. September 1991", tile box, Ship July 1993 - 500 pcs.

HGLTD94 - LB-7 pattern, ""The Bandit's Last Ride"" gold filled etch, LTD. tang stamp, serialized N/S bolsters, green Fibron handle, coined N/S shield, laser engraved cherry box, Ship 6/30/94 - 200 pcs.
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

bladecollectorr wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:51 pm
New_Windsor_NY wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:08 pm Thank you for the information. ::tu:: Great looking items! ::tu:: Now I've got to find the SCHRADE #33 knife. The seller called the picture a postcard, which would've been fine, but a promo picture is even better. ::tu::
Enjoy! There are about 8 (? going by memory) Schrade/Gant knives. I think there are the only 4 LB7-types. I haven't been able to nail-down production name and numbers for the micarta scrimshaw knife.

HG7LTD - Harry Gant LB-7 pattern, Special gold filled etch, LTD. tang stamp, brass bolsters, antiqued coined N/S shield, Oak box with glazed tile lid, Ship 9/15/92 - 200 pcs.

HG93LTD - LB-7 w/ green fibron handles, serialized N.S. bolsters, coined N.S. handle shield, gold blade etch "Mr. September 1991", tile box, Ship July 1993 - 500 pcs.

HGLTD94 - LB-7 pattern, ""The Bandit's Last Ride"" gold filled etch, LTD. tang stamp, serialized N/S bolsters, green Fibron handle, coined N/S shield, laser engraved cherry box, Ship 6/30/94 - 200 pcs.
Thank you for the list. ::tu:: I just bought this one. The blade is etched.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

This came a few days ago. What is the NASCAR connection to cutlery? Specifically, what is the NASCAR connection to Schrade? Well, SCHRADE (OLD TIMER) was one of the sponsors of the NASCAR #33, SKOAL BANDIT race car (see the rear, side window frame) and the driver, Harry Gant. Click on a picture to ENLARGE.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Although not dedicated solely to Schrade products,
SCHRADE- WALDEN has two pages of knives advertised.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (50.94 KiB) Viewed 3892 times

Skip
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

Tang stamp for a knife that never got made.
XT4 tang stamp.jpg
- Jason
bladecollectorr

jxr1197 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:42 pm Tang stamp for a knife that never got made.
XT4 tang stamp.jpg
Now you got the blanks and the stamp to go with them. I'm impressed! Great "End-of-Days" collectible!
bladecollectorr

I recently bought two lots of 1979 paperwork. This is a 3-page unused folder that would have been filled with flyers and handed out to dealers etc.

1979 and 1980 were the two years when the Schrade Beast was their mascot. I was 12 in 1979 and I was subscribed to 5 of the US publications listed and some Canadian publications that Schrade advertised in as well. These dates represent when my younger self first got hooked on Schrade. 1979 was a great year with the introduction of the 144UH, 7OT, 156OT and 848OT. Obviously the two 75th Anniversary knives were also great 1979 offerings.

At 12, the "Guide's Choice" knife blew my mind. What's cooler than being a backcountry Guide?

1979 dealer folder - 01 front x1200.jpg
1979 dealer folder - 02 front x1200.jpg
1979 dealer folder - 03 front x1200.jpg
1979 dealer folder - 04 front x1200.jpg
1979 dealer folder - 05 front x1200.jpg
1979 dealer folder - 06 front x1200.jpg
bladecollectorr

Here are scans of my 1979 Schrade Almanac. Much Beast. I'm going to send high-res versions to Larry (lrv) as an upgrade for his records. I'm highly tempted to try and use the iron-on beast transfer.
1979 Schrade Almanac, page 1.jpg
1979 Schrade Almanac, page 2.jpg
1979 Schrade Almanac, page 3.jpg
1979 Schrade Almanac, page 4.jpg
1979 Schrade Almanac, page 5.jpg
1979 Schrade Almanac, page 6.jpg
1979 Schrade Almanac, page 7.jpg
1979 Schrade Almanac, page 8.jpg
LRV

Post by LRV »

Love it. Mine looks like a bad mimeograph copy.
bladecollectorr

LRV wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:01 pm Love it. Mine looks like a bad mimeograph copy.
Thanks Larry! I'll send you an amazondrive link to the original .tiff files. They are quite huge but very sharp and detailed. You can shrink and reformat copies as desired.

The newspaper-sized Almanac is way too big for my scanner. I took three 300dpi scans per page, stitched them back together with photoshop then rotated and cropped and finally did some exposure and lighting tweaks for readability.

The 41 year-old newsprint is more brittle than it would have been originally and is quite yellowed. I wanted my own scans to read so that I can put the original away. I like the results.
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

Razor blade counter displays. These fall under the Imperial umbrella. 1940s-1960s

displays.jpg
- Jason

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”