Imperial Mexico

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Re: Imperial Mexico

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 6:41 pm
jxr1197 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 5:32 pm
New_Windsor_NY wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 5:17 pm I'll have to look closely when the knife arrives, but I think all mine says is PASTOR ALEMAN. I don't think anything about Edge Co is stamped or etched on the knife. ::shrug::
It's a contract knife - the same as the Pastor Alemans made by Imperial or Colonial that only say PA. ::tu::
There has to be some kind of meaning behind the two, different, PASTOR ALEMAN tang stamps. One is the "plain" PASTOR ALEMAN and the other is the PASTOR ALEMAN with the dog head profile. Are there any other styles of the PASTOR ALEMAN tang stamp that you're aware of?
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

This morning I bought this knife for best offer. Another addition to my south of the border collection. It is a PASTOR ALEMAN (German Shepherd), 2 blade, 1 tool pocket knife. This knife "brand" is part of the Imperial Mexico story/connection. It appears to be in pretty good condition. When I receive it, I'll give it the once over, take some pictures and post them in the appropriate location(s).
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

This afternoon I purchased this CUMOSA knife for best offer. It will be added to my south of the border collection. It is stamped with a logo next to CUMOSA (over) INOX MEXICO (over) EDGECO. It is a single blade pocket knife. This knife "brand" is part of the Imperial Mexico story/connection. It appears to be in fairly good condition, but it will need some cleaning. When I receive it, I'll give it the once over, take some pictures and post them in the appropriate location(s).
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

jxr1197 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 6:55 pm
New_Windsor_NY wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 6:41 pm Do you know where Edge Co was located?
You know, I never bothered to look it up until just now. I haven't found anything on Edge Co yet but here's something interesting - in 1981 the Cumosa trademark was granted to a company in Monterrey.........Cuchilleria Monterrey! LOL

Clearly some more digging is warranted. Edge Co was a separate company but obviously there's some connection. To be continued.....
Apparently, Edge Company was located in Brattleboro, Vermont. Click on the link, 13th post.
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=6134

Skip
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 1:36 am Apparently, Edge Company was located in Brattleboro, Vermont.
Nice work! I have heard of Edge in Brattleboro but didn't connect the dots. I have an Edge somewhere - it's a little stockman with their 'Edge' in an oval mark. I'll post a pic if I can find it. Pretty sure they were importers only. I don't think they made knives. I'm not surprised you found the info in an old LT post. He wrote the book on old switchblades, literally. Now it makes sense why I couldn't find an address for them in Mexico. Since we know that Cuchilleria Monterrey owned the Pastor Aleman and Cumosa marks, it's not much of a stretch to say they were the manufacturer and the Edge Co kits were contract knives.
- Jason
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 1:36 am Apparently, Edge Company was located in Brattleboro, Vermont.

Here's the Edge knife I was talking about. Nothing to do with Mexico, just sharing a pic of one of their German knives.
edge.jpg
- Jason
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

This morning I acquired this CUMOSA knife for best offer. It will be added to my south of the border collection. I'm pretty sure that it is stamped with a logo next to CUMOSA (over) INOX MEXICO (over) EDGECO. But actually, all I can make out is EDGECO. It is a single blade pocket knife. This knife "brand" is part of the Imperial Mexico story/connection. It appears to be in pretty good condition, but it might need some cleaning. When I receive it, I'll give it the once over, take some pictures and post them in the appropriate location(s).
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (12.85 KiB) Viewed 3291 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (15.85 KiB) Viewed 3291 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (17 KiB) Viewed 3291 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (10.14 KiB) Viewed 3291 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (10.41 KiB) Viewed 3291 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (12.7 KiB) Viewed 3291 times

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

This morning, my trip to the post office produced these two knives for my "South Of The Border" collection. The first 5 pictures, a PASTOR ALEMAN (German Shepherd), single blade, hawkbill pruner pocket knife. It needed no cleaning. The last 5 pictures, a PASTOR ALEMAN (German Shepherd), single blade, lock back pocket knife. You can barely see it, but it has 007 "etched" on the handle. That wasn't in the seller's description, but I'm not complaining. It measures 5 5/8" closed and 10" with the blade open. It needed no cleaning. I took some pictures and here are the knives. Click on a picture to ENLARGE.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Today I replaced a missing(?) rawhide lanyard on the "007" knife.

Not this particular knife, but the same style "007 flipper knife" has a morbid place in rock n' roll history. In October 1978, evidently it was a similar "007" style knife that killed Nancy Spungen, girlfriend of Sid Vicious. Sid was a member of the punk music group, the Sex Pistols. Sid supposedly bought the knife on 42nd Street in N.Y.C. He denied killing her, he OD'd before the investigation ended.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 2:40 am Sid supposedly bought the knife on 42nd Street in N.Y.C.
When I was a kid in NY every bodega in the city sold 007 knives for a couple of bucks. They were cheap and everyone was carrying them. The ones sold in the city weren't Pastor Alemans - they just had the Made in Japan stamp and cheap wood handles. I never heard the Sid and Nancy reference but I'm not surprised. The 007 had a reputation for being ubiquitous with the rising street crime and violence of the 70s in NYC. The good old days...
- Jason
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

jxr1197 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 3:17 am
New_Windsor_NY wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 2:40 am Sid supposedly bought the knife on 42nd Street in N.Y.C.
When I was a kid in NY every bodega in the city sold 007 knives for a couple of bucks. They were cheap and everyone was carrying them. The one's sold in the city weren't Pastor Alemans - they just had the Made in Japan stamp and cheap wood handles. I never heard the Sid and Nancy reference but I'm not surprised. The 007 had a reputation for being ubiquitous with the rising street crime and violence of the 70s in NYC. The good old days...
When I first found "007" on the handle, I googled it and I saw that the "007" came with different handle materials and from different manufacturers. It didn't really surprise me. I'm really quite happy with it.

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

This morning, these two knives get added to my South Of The Border collection. The first 3 pictures are of a PASTOR ALEMAN, single blade Cumosa pocket knife. It has plastic handles. It measures 4 3/8" closed and 7 5/8" with the blade open. It needed a little cleaning. The last 3 pictures are of an EDGECO, single blade Cumosa pocket knife. It has wood handles. It measures 4 3/8" closed and 7 5/8" with the blade open. It needed cleaning. Both knives function properly. I took some pictures and here are the knives.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

It's great that this thread has become the catch-all location for the entire Mexico story. Almost all of it has roads leading back to Monterrey - Mexico's own Little Sheffield, lol.
This showed up today and this 5" barlow is my largest Pastor Aleman to date. I think it's likely made by Colonial.
colpastoraleman.jpg
- Jason
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

jxr1197 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 4:59 pm It's great that this thread has become the catch-all location for the entire Mexico story. Almost all of it has roads leading back to Monterrey - Mexico's own Little Sheffield, lol.
This showed up today and this 5" hunter is my largest Pastor Aleman to date. I think it's likely made by Colonial.
Jason, that's a good looking knife. ::tu:: I think it's an Imperial because of the tang stamp and Imperial loves using bails. It seems to me that Colonial knives like using a "loop" for a lanyard or fob. I've noticed also that Colonial likes to put "dimples" on one end of each handle pin. Once again, if everything was certain, this wouldn't be much fun at all.

The knife pictured below illustrates all three "traits." The "plain" PASTOR ALEMAN tang stamp. The lanyard/fob "loop." The "dimples" in the handle pins. To me, if the knife in question has one or more of these traits, to me at least, it's a Colonial. No matter what size or pattern. Of course there will be exceptions........... ::dang:: ::dang::

Thank God that EDGECO knives at least are stamped EDGECO.
I'm only referring to the Mexican connection knives.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:32 pmI think it's an Imperial because of the tang stamp and Imperial loves using bails. It seems to me that Colonial knives like using a "loop" for a lanyard or fob. I've noticed also that Colonial likes to put "dimples" on one end of each handle pin.
You may be right. There was a lot of crossover and inbreeding going on down there. Factor in how long ago it was and the massive overlap between these companies that they are all closed now and you've got pandemonium. What struck me as 'Colonial' about this knife is the shape of the blade mostly. That peak over the nail mark especially.

Here's a Colonial with that blade shape:
Vintage-Colonial-Prov-Master-Barlow-Knife.jpg
Vintage-Colonial-Prov-Master-Barlow-Knife.jpg (25.13 KiB) Viewed 3093 times
- Jason
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

jxr1197 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:52 pm
New_Windsor_NY wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:32 pmI think it's an Imperial........
You may be right. There was a lot of crossover and inbreeding going on down there. Factor in how long ago it was and the massive overlap between these companies that they are all closed now and you've got pandemonium. What struck me as 'Colonial' about this knife is the shape of the blade mostly. That peak over the nail mark especially.

Here's a Colonial with that blade shape:

Vintage-Colonial-Prov-Master-Barlow-Knife.jpg
That's a NICE l👀king Barlow. ::tu:: ::tu:: This Mexico "situation" is starting to freak me out.

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Today, these two knives get added to the IMPERIAL, COLONIAL and EDGECO in Mexico saga. The first is an EDGECO CUMOSA, single blade, pocket knife. My second EDGECO, my third Cumosa. It measures 4 3/8" closed and 7 5/8" open. The second is a PASTOR ALEMAN (German Shepherd), 2 blade, 1 tool pocket knife. It appears to have a horse on the handle. It measures 3 7/8" closed and 6 3/4" with main blade open. I believe it to be connected to Imperial rather than to Colonial. Of course, I could be wrong. The EDGECO "works" great and didn't need any cleaning. The PASTOR ALEMAN just needed a very light cleaning. I took some pictures and here they are.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

This afternoon I bought this CUMOSA knife. It is another EDGECO, single blade, wood handles, pocket knife. This knife "brand" is part of the Imperial, Colonial and EDGECO, Mexico story/connection. The key ring will be replaced with a rawhide lanyard. It appears to be in pretty good condition. When I receive it, I'll give it the once over, take some pictures and post them in the appropriate location(s).
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (19.17 KiB) Viewed 3287 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (20.62 KiB) Viewed 3287 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (15.25 KiB) Viewed 3287 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (35.74 KiB) Viewed 3287 times

Skip
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 5:37 pmIt appears to have a horse on the handle.
My first thought was it's a bull. Maybe because of the tail. Then I thought the image is 'distorted' because of some well placed scratches and when I deleted the scratches in my mind I thought I saw a German Shepard. Could be a horse too.

Here's one that I may have posted before, can't remember. It's a PM Atlas (contract knife) that's got horses.
pmatlas.jpg
- Jason
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

jxr1197 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:17 pm
New_Windsor_NY wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 5:37 pmIt appears to have a horse on the handle.
My first thought was it's a bull. Maybe because of the tail. Then I thought the image is 'distorted' because of some well placed scratches and when I deleted the scratches in my mind I thought I saw a German Shepard. Could be a horse too.

Here's one that I may have posted before, can't remember. It's a PM Atlas (contract knife) that's got horses.
That's a fine looking knife Jason. It looks like it has some Imperial traits, at least to me. How is it connected with our Mexico friends?
Here's a close-up of the "horse."(?) It doesn't look like a horse to me now, more like you said, a bull or maybe a cow?
Click to ENLARGE.
Attachments
image.jpeg

Skip
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 12:26 amThat's a fine looking knife Jason. It looks like it has some Imperial traits, at least to me. How is it connected with our Mexico friends?
PM Atlas (Productos Metalicos Atlas - or Atlas Metal Products) was a business in Monterrey MX that bought knives either from the Associated Spring version of Imperial Mexico or from Cuchilleria Monterrey, maybe both. All of the ones I have come across either have a horse or a deer on them.
- Jason
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

jxr1197 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 1:38 am
New_Windsor_NY wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 12:26 amThat's a fine looking knife Jason. It looks like it has some Imperial traits, at least to me. How is it connected with our Mexico friends?
PM Atlas (Productos Metalicos Atlas - or Atlas Metal Products) was a business in Monterrey MX that bought knives either from the Associated Spring version of Imperial Mexico or from Cuchilleria Monterrey, maybe both. All of the ones I have come across either have a horse or a deer on them.
Ahhh........I should've guessed. The plot thickens. ::tu::

Skip
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

wondamex.jpg
THIS is the kind of 'discovery' that keeps me searching through those mountains of hay. The Hecho we have here is unique on several fronts. The style and shape are familiar - a 3-7/8" coffin shaped slip joint. This one's got three blades and three springs and they all pivot on the same side. I haven't seen that before. It also has etched stainless covers instead of Fostarene plastic scales - another standout feature. Perhaps the most unexpected is the Wonda-edged pocket blade that the seller thought was a fish scaler. It's also worth noting that the elongated cap lifter/screw driver is seen on American Imperial patterns but not on any other Hechos. The Wonda edge dates it to mid 50s or later and it also means it was made in the US. My guess is this was a sample room creation that made its way into the real world somehow. I really like the idea of marrying Hechos and Wondas - two of the subsects that I'm fascinated with, but I think the reality is this is probably a one-off and not indicative of an undiscovered species of Wondamex knives. Too bad...
- Jason
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

jxr1197 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:05 pm

THIS is the kind of 'discovery' that keeps me searching........
FANTASTIC find Jason! ::tu:: I really like the tang stamp and I too, like wonda edged blades. That is a gorgeous looking knife. I'd rather it was me posting it, but if not me, I'm glad it's you. ::tu::

Skip
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:19 pm I'd rather it was me posting it
It don't get any more honest than that :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
- Jason

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”