Craftsman Knives

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
Meridian_Mike

Re: Craftsman Knives

Post by Meridian_Mike »

kootenay joe wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:22 pm Wow ! Incredible knife. Best 2OT i have ever seen.
kj
Thanks for the complement Roland! It is a beauty!
Doc B wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:29 pm Sweet!!! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Thanks Doc!!
I am tickled!
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Mike, i think you should post the 2OT again. It is at the bottom of the previous page which often gets over looked. It deserves to be top of the page ! But it is of course up to you.
kj
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Meridian_Mike wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:26 pm My latest Craftsman (just arrived)...
And YES I am proud of it!!
2OT_5 Display Box.JPG
::ds:: ::groove:: ::ds::
It's a real beauty Mike. Good for you. ::tu::
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
TPK

Post by TPK »

Meridian_Mike wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:26 pm My latest Craftsman (just arrived)...
2OT_5 Display Box.JPG
Very nice! Congrats Mike! ::handshake:: :D

I recieved my first ever Craftsman knife this week. I'm really stoked to have one of these Craftsman knives! ::groove:: The Brand name "Craftsman" is something I grew up with but never hear of or see over here in Germany. That's why holding a Craftsman knife in my hand is kind of a special treat for me. ::nod:: Stamp is no longer readable but the scales are in great condition, it has a good snap & it's still a very cool addition to my treasure chest! And yes, it's going to get some pocket time. It's way too cool not to! Thanks again in Ryan! ::handshake:: ::super_happy::

Thanks for looking! ::handshake::
Attachments
IMG_20200607_101538.jpg
IMG_20200607_101414.jpg
IMG_20200607_101334.jpg
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

TPK wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:08 pm

I recieved my first ever Craftsman knife.....
Thanks again in Ryan! ::handshake:: ::super_happy::

You're all over the place today Tom. I'm telling you it's a Pop Tart sugar rush. ::tu::
Oh, sorry, that's a good looking multi-tool too. ::tu::

Skip
TPK

Post by TPK »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:43 pm

I recieved my first ever Craftsman knife.....
Thanks again in Ryan! ::handshake:: ::super_happy::

You're all over the place today Tom. I'm telling you it's a Pop Tart sugar rush. ::tu::
Oh, sorry, that's a good looking multi-tool too. ::tu::
::hmm:: Could be Skip. ::shrug:: It's "PopTart Sunday" at my house. ::nod:: LOL! :lol:

Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

I recieved my first ever Craftsman knife this week. I'm really stoked to have one of these Craftsman knives! ::groove:: The Brand name "Craftsman" is something I grew up with but never hear of or see over here in Germany. That's why holding a Craftsman knife in my hand is kind of a special treat for me. ::nod:: Stamp is no longer readable but the scales are in great condition, it has a good snap & it's still a very cool addition to my treasure chest! And yes, it's going to get some pocket time. It's way too cool not to! Thanks again in Ryan! ::handshake:: ::super_happy::

Congrats Tom. Very nice looking Craftsman.
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
TPK

Post by TPK »

Papa Bones wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:05 pm

Thanks PB! ::handshake:: I'm really stoked to have one of these Craftsman knives! ::super_happy:: Can't find these on the German eBay so it's pretty cool for me to get my hands on one. As I stated before, the brand name Craftsman is something I grew up with so it reminds me of the states and my dad's garage & rebuilding a Chevelle SS with my Uncle Rick in my dad's garage & stuff like that. Feels a bit like home. ::nod::

The folks here on the AAPK are so helpful with my collection or accumulation or whatever it is that I'm doing with my pocket knives. I'm really very greatful for all the help I have recieved from so many awesome people here!!! Thanks again to all of you!!! ::handshake:: ::tu:: ::nod:: Americans are just plan & simple, Awesome! ::tu:: ::nod::

Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

TPK wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:25 am
Papa Bones wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:05 pm

Thanks PB! ::handshake:: I'm really stoked to have one of these Craftsman knives! ::super_happy:: Can't find these on the German eBay so it's pretty cool for me to get my hands on one. As I stated before, the brand name Craftsman is something I grew up with so it reminds me of the states and my dad's garage & rebuilding a Chevelle SS with my Uncle Rick in my dad's garage & stuff like that. Feels a bit like home. ::nod::

The folks here on the AAPK are so helpful with my collection or accumulation or whatever it is that I'm doing with my pocket knives. I'm really very greatful for all the help I have recieved from so many awesome people here!!! Thanks again to all of you!!! ::handshake:: ::tu:: ::nod:: Americans are just plan & simple, Awesome! ::tu:: ::nod::
I understand about the Craftsman name. I have several Craftsman tools, some of my ratchets and socket sets I purchased back in the 1970's are still going. I also have a couple of Craftsman Shop Vise I reconditioned about three years ago. One is from the mid '60's one from the late 50's. Glad you was able to get something that has a good history in memories. That's usually the best finds. ::tu::

Smitty
TPK

Post by TPK »

::tu:: :D

Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

I just got this one in my hands....
A 9470 in the tube.... Pretty nice!
9470 w Tube.JPG
9470 tube.JPG
:D
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Meridian_Mike wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:52 pm I just got this one in my hands....
A 9470 in the tube.... :D
Mike, that's one fine looking piece of cutlery. ::tu::

Skip
TPK

Post by TPK »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:00 pm
Meridian_Mike wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:52 pm I just got this one in my hands....
A 9470 in the tube.... :D
Mike, that's one fine looking piece of cutlery. ::tu::
::nod:: ::nod:: ::nod:: ::nod:: ::nod::

Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Thanks Y'all.... I'm on a Craftsman roll right now.....LOL.

Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

A 9470 in the tube.... Pretty nice!

9470 w Tube.JPG
9470 tube.JPG

Sweet Find Mike. ::tu::

Smitty
tnorton

Post by tnorton »

Mike that 9470 with tube is really nice ::tu:: - here is a Craftsman USA 9546 on the "34" frame with "propwood" handles I pick up recently - Clint
Attachments
IMG_4780.JPG
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

tnorton wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:57 pm Mike that 9470 with tube is really nice ::tu:: - here is a Craftsman USA 9546 on the "34" frame with "propwood" handles I pick up recently - Clint
Very nice little Craftsman ::tu:: . Those Delrin handles were called K Horn which is also what they called the old butter and molasses knives. Propwood would be all brown and smooth and it's real wood - well, it's 'engineered' wood. Think of it as plywood for your knife.
- Jason
tnorton

Post by tnorton »

Jason - I'm a little confused - I know this 896K is considered K-horn - I kinda remember having a Schrade stamped knife a while back with Handles like the Craftsman knife that look like fake wood - If not PROPWOOD then What about the "STRATA-WOOD" handles what do they look like -- you probably have examples of all three - thanks
Attachments
IMG_4783.JPG
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

tnorton wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:16 pm Jason - I'm a little confused - I know this 896K is considered K-horn - I kinda remember having a Schrade stamped knife a while back with Handles like the Craftsman knife that look like fake wood - If not PROPWOOD then What about the "STRATA-WOOD" handles what do they look like -- you probably have examples of all three - thanks
The 896 is one of the butter and molasses, or peanut butter and molasses in this case, knives that were K Horn but your Craftsman is also a K Horn. Schrade wasn't terribly consistent. Don't try to file everything away neatly, it will break your brain eventually. You just gotta go with the flow.
In this pic there are a number of Wondawood, Stratawood and Propwood knives. If you can figure out the difference let me know. I still have to look up the pattern in the catalogs to see if it's Wonda or Strata. I've noticed that Propwood tends to be a little darker. When you look at it up close you can see how it's pressed together. I don't know why some were one and not the other. Of course they also overlap all over the place in the catalogs so in the same year you'll see 2 knives that look like the same material but they have different descriptions. By the way that Imperial letter opener is the only thing in the pic that's not wood. Those are plastic. Included here are Schrade, Ulster, Imperial and Craftsman knives.
woods.jpg
- Jason
tnorton

Post by tnorton »

Thanks Jason - Yeah I know I shouldn't get hung up on trying to figure out names of handle materials or really anything schrade - thanks for the explanation - at least most of the "wood" are wood - right? - Clint
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

COOL... thank for the materials explanation Jason!
Nice bunch of knifes too!
I like those early "4 number" serial numbered knives Clint.
Those are the ones I like to collect.
::tu::
tnorton

Post by tnorton »

Meridian_Mike wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:36 pm COOL... thank for the materials explanation Jason!
Nice bunch of knifes too!
I like those early "4 number" serial numbered knives Clint.
Those are the ones I like to collect.
::tu::
I gotcha - what about you starting a thread ( or reviving) on the 4 number knives and Jason on wood handles knives - I know I'd like to see a few examples ::shrug::
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

tnorton wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:48 pm I gotcha - what about you starting a thread ( or reviving) on the 4 number knives and Jason on wood handles knives - I know I'd like to see a few examples ::shrug::
When I get a chance I'll try to put together a list of the various Wondas, Stratas, etc with pics. Maybe when they're all grouped together someone will figure out what makes a Strata a Strata and not a Wonda. I think they might have just used different words to create the appearance of greater variety in the catalogs. Who knows? But it's a good idea to give them a thread. ::tu::
- Jason
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

This thread has a pretty good showing of the early Craftsman knives (both folders and fixed blades).
Most of mine are in it somewhere.

Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

I picked up another Craftsman 9507. I posted in another thread about finding one with a broken blade that I cleaned up. I enjoyed carrying and using it so much that I decided I wanted one that was in tact. Not sure of the year, but this one has the Crowned (or gear tooth, not sure of the proper term) Craftsman shield. Tang stamp is Craftsman over U.S.A. 9507. No blade wobble with great snap on both blades.
Craftsman.png

Smitty

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”