Craftsman Knives

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Craftsman Knives

Post by Dinadan »

Wow - some mighty fine knives on this page.
Mel
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I once read in BF that the "elephant hide" sheaths are thick cow hide treated to give a surface texture resembling elephant skin The plan to import elephant hide did not materialize due to import restrictions on animal parts from many countries. Rather than admit that the planned elephant hide did not work out the Baers let people think the embossed cow hide was elephant.
I of course do not know which story is true.
kj
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

WOW... This is one heck of a knife show...

ALL beauties... every one!!

Let's see some more....

::tu:: ::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Here another 9514. Minty, wavy bone, match pulls; a very pretty knife.

IMG_6189.JPG
IMG_6190.JPG
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

WOW.... now that is a real beauty Paul!!
VERY nice!!
::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
bladecollectorr

Post by bladecollectorr »

Couple months ago an online seller offered about a half-dozen NIB and another 10 or so new without box examples of the Craftsman 9558. They were selling for a very reasonable $20 NIB or $15 no box. I nearly bought two of them but decided I have enough user knives already.
01.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg
05.jpg
06.jpg
Knife is similar to the 946. I find the 4-blade senators to be classy little knives with or without the shackle.
946sha mark.jpg
I don't always respond to great posts but I always appreciate seeing them. Thanks for posting! ::tu::
jxr1197
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jxr1197 »

That wavy bone stockman is gorgeous ::not_worthy::

bladecollectorr wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:50 pm Couple months ago an online seller offered about a half-dozen NIB and another 10 or so new without box examples of the Craftsman 9558. They were selling for a very reasonable $20 NIB or $15 no box. I nearly bought two of them but decided I have enough user knives already.
Do you remember if any of them had a screwdriver? The one I posted (previous page) has that instead of the pen blade and I haven't seen another one yet. The logo and file are also different. $20 NIB and you left 5 on the table? You have far better impulse control than me! :lol:
- Jason
bladecollectorr

jxr1197 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:41 pm That wavy bone stockman is gorgeous ::not_worthy::

bladecollectorr wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:50 pm Couple months ago an online seller offered about a half-dozen NIB and another 10 or so new without box examples of the Craftsman 9558. They were selling for a very reasonable $20 NIB or $15 no box. I nearly bought two of them but decided I have enough user knives already.
Do you remember if any of them had a screwdriver? The one I posted (previous page) has that instead of the pen blade and I haven't seen another one yet. The logo and file are also different. $20 NIB and you left 5 on the table? You have far better impulse control than me! :lol:
Seeing your example is what sparked my memory about grabbing one of these. Your knife looks factory to me. I agree that the logo and file used are different so two different time periods can be inferred. The grind and edge on your blades seems a bit different than mine as well. The pattern specs may have changed over time perhaps?

All the knives the seller had were exactly the same. He used the same pics for all of them. All told he had 16 of these. 6 NIB and 10 no box. The pics I posted are his.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/352835103015
https://www.ebay.com/itm/372818812352?n ... true&rt=nc

Some things you might want to ask yourself:

Is the screwdriver blade on your knife sharp on one edge? It doesn't look it. The inclusion of a choil on the blade might imply it was meant to be sharpened but maybe that's a wire stripper and not a choil at all.

Where exactly is the pull located on the other side of the blade? Is there one? Does the pull match exactly my knife? Could it be that someone did a very good re-profile of that blade and changed it into a nice screwdriver? Your blade appears too thick for that. I can't see a previous blade grind on it.

Sorry I can't be of more help. I can't recall seeing another like yours.

I strongly considered buying more of these but even though I love the metal handled gents knives they really don't fetch much at auction. This, coupled with shipping fees and the CAD/USD exchange rate creeps the price up for me substantially and brings any potential profitability into question. The final nail in this multiple-buy coffin was how much I'd already spent that month on knives. I'd already told myself "NO MORE KNIVES!". Just this one erased that line in the sand.
I don't always respond to great posts but I always appreciate seeing them. Thanks for posting! ::tu::
black mamba

Post by black mamba »

Great showing, Cal! Is that Ulster 4-blade a couple pages back a real lefty, or did the image get reversed?
jxr1197
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jxr1197 »

bladecollectorr wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:23 pmSorry I can't be of more help.
Ha! I'll take that kind of help any day of the week. That's a lot of good info and thoughts you laid out there. The screwdriver is equally blunt on both sides and tapers slightly from tang to tip. The tip is flat and even and perfectly symmetrical. I was going to say I'm sure it's factory, but that thing about the choil?? It's not a wire stripper - so why have a choil on a screwdriver? Then another thing popped out at me. The inside edge of the screwdriver, where the edge would be if it was a blade is the only part of that knife that isn't polished. It's got a somewhat dull appearance and a lightly abrasive texture - like 1000 grit. Maybe this started out as a blade blank? I think this one will just remain a mystery...
mark.jpg
pile.jpg
spine.jpg
tip.jpg
- Jason
bladecollectorr

jxr1197 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:45 pm
bladecollectorr wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:23 pmSorry I can't be of more help.
Ha! I'll take that kind of help any day of the week. That's a lot of good info and thoughts you laid out there. The screwdriver is equally blunt on both sides and tapers slightly from tang to tip. The tip is flat and even and perfectly symmetrical. I was going to say I'm sure it's factory, but that thing about the choil?? It's not a wire stripper - so why have a choil on a screwdriver? Then another thing popped out at me. The inside edge of the screwdriver, where the edge would be if it was a blade is the only part of that knife that isn't polished. It's got a somewhat dull appearance and a lightly abrasive texture - like 1000 grit. Maybe this started out as a blade blank? I think this one will just remain a mystery...
It looks more like factory original than ever after seeing those pics.

Au contraire! I still say it could be the most basic of wire strippers and maybe even a Super-Advanced-Multi-Tool. Close that puppy down on a piece of wire and the insulation gets cut as it's squeezed between blade and edge of the liner. The liner does the cutting of the insulation. You may have to rotate the wire a couple times and re-squeeze to cut all around the wire. After cutting the pinching can grab it so you can yank the wire out of the insulation.

The guy in the video below has pretty much mastered the unsharpened, notch-type wire-stripper/bender/wrench/scriber super-tool. He doesn't demonstrate my most-basic pinch method where the liner does the cutting though and it works too. He does display six minutes plus of using this super-tool in different ways. You should never underestimate the lowly notch on a knife. I know I did.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LTCs43 ... dex=2&t=0s[/youtube]
jxr1197
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jxr1197 »

bladecollectorr wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:38 pmClose that puppy down on a piece of wire and the insulation gets cut as it's squeezed between blade and edge of the liner. The liner does the cutting of the insulation. You may have to rotate the wire a couple times and re-squeeze to cut all around the wire. After cutting the pinching can grab it so you can yank the wire out of the insulation.
I tried the method described and I don't think that was the intended use - or maybe just not the intended method. It was roughly equivalent to chomping down on the wire with your molars and grinding it into submission. As I pressed harder I could feel the knife starting to twist so I backed off. The method in the video worked just fine of course - using the blade to slice the insulation and the choil to pull it off, but it was no different than using your fingernails to pull it off - or your teeth. I think the jury is still out on the wire stripper but your other comment about it being a factory original - c'est vrai! I finally thought to just google the thing. Search up 'Craftsman 9558' and look at all the pics that pop up with the screwdriver. I think it's probably just a pattern change over time. I'm assuming mine is the older of the two based on logo.
- Jason
bladecollectorr

jxr1197 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:18 am
bladecollectorr wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:38 pmClose that puppy down on a piece of wire and the insulation gets cut as it's squeezed between blade and edge of the liner. The liner does the cutting of the insulation. You may have to rotate the wire a couple times and re-squeeze to cut all around the wire. After cutting the pinching can grab it so you can yank the wire out of the insulation.
I tried the method described and I don't think that was the intended use - or maybe just not the intended method. It was roughly equivalent to chomping down on the wire with your molars and grinding it into submission. As I pressed harder I could feel the knife starting to twist so I backed off. The method in the video worked just fine of course - using the blade to slice the insulation and the choil to pull it off, but it was no different than using your fingernails to pull it off - or your teeth. I think the jury is still out on the wire stripper but your other comment about it being a factory original - c'est vrai! I finally thought to just google the thing. Search up 'Craftsman 9558' and look at all the pics that pop up with the screwdriver. I think it's probably just a pattern change over time. I'm assuming mine is the older of the two based on logo.
I'm glad the mystery is mostly solved. I had a Wenger, I think it was, that I once used as a wire stripper in the manner I described and it worked just fine but you're right, it probably was never intended if it doesn't work well. I was taking a guess on that one. Online image search does produce lots of both 9558 versions. Thanks!

The ST1 has a sharpened-notch wire-stripper that I just used for these next pics by pinching the blade shut as I described. It worked easily. That's also what gave me the wire-stripper idea for the 9558. I thought maybe it was an earlier, somewhat less-refined version because the screwdriver and stripper ended up together on the same blade of the ST1.
ST1 wire stripper 01.jpg
ST1 wire stripper 02.jpg
ST1 wire stripper 03.jpg
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Heres an Old Crafty that I'll use out hunting tomorrow.
Attachments
IMG_1024.JPG
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

garddogg56 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:49 am Heres an Old Crafty that I'll use out hunting tomorrow.
For whitetails?
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

This is my contribution to this topic. Some CRAFTSMAN 9494s.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Yes sir ::nod::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Cincosational Skip. ::nod:: ::nod::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

So that's where all of the Craftsman 72 pattern went ! :shock:
kj
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

garddogg56 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:39 pm Yes sir ::nod::
doglegg wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:59 pm Cincosational Skip. ::nod:: ::nod::
kootenay joe wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:02 am So that's where all of the Craftsman 72 pattern went ! :shock:
kj
Thank you all. ::handshake::

Skip
jxr1197
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jxr1197 »

Agreed - a fine cluster of Craftsmans, Skip. ::tu::
- Jason
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

jxr1197 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:00 am Agreed - a fine cluster of Craftsmans, Skip. ::tu::
Thank you Jason. ::handshake:: Wish I could find a shield to replace the missing one. I have a bag of Craftsman shields, but they are too big.

Skip
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Here are two I got recently. The Stag premium stockman is from the 1930's and is stamped Sta Sharp SR&CO (Sears Roebuck and Co) and No 7066 on the back of the master blade. The little agate celluloid is marked Craftsman USA. ____Dave
Attachments
DSC00806.JPG
DSC00810.JPG
black mamba

Post by black mamba »

Two nice stockmen, but that stag knife is dyn-o-mite!
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

The stag stockman is very interesting as well as lovely. I have to wonder if Camillus early on had exclusive rights to the STA-SHARP copyright, because that knife looks like a pre-war Ulster in every regard, but especially the master clip blade.

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”