Craftsman Knives

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
kootenay joe

Re: Craftsman Knives

Post by kootenay joe »

Good post Jason. I am aware and agree with what you say and i was following Codger as he discovered many of the Sears connections back around 2008 in BF.
Knife manufacturers often contracted out to each other for either the entire knife or some of the work. Camillus might of agreed to supply Sears with a Coin knife, knowing that Imperial was set up to make these and knowing they would get Imperial to supply these. (Imperial to Camillus to Sears)
But, if Camillus did make a Coin knife and therefore had the tooling needed, then they would have made it 'in house'.
The "Sta-Sharp" etch on the coin knife is in a 'style' i have not seen before. It is not the usual 'look'. Is this because the blade is small ? or because the etch was not done at Camillus ?
Who made what in 'knives' is often not straight forward.
kj
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

This afternoon, my trip to the post office produced these Craftsman knives. One is a CRAFTSMAN 9494, 3 blade, swelled center, "whittler" pocket knife (first 3 pictures). The other is a SCHRADE WALDEN 863 (not stamped or marked 863), 3 blade, swelled center, "whittler" pocket knife (last 4 pictures). It has CRAFTSMAN 9494 etched on the main blade. Both knives are 3 5/8" closed. No cleaning of either knife was necessary. I took some pictures, here are the knives.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Skip, did you post 2 other Craftsman 9494 knives last week or so ?
Are you specializing in this pattern ? Very attractive knives especially with the saber grind clip blade.
kj
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

kootenay joe wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:00 am Skip, did you post 2 other Craftsman 9494 knives last week or so ?
Are you specializing in this pattern ? Very attractive knives especially with the saber grind clip blade.
kj
Roland, I posted these two knives a few days ago when I bought them and now, when I received them. I've posted quite a few Craftsman 9494 knives. Not necessarily in this thread, but they are ALL posted throughout this thread.
LINK: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=62956
I'm specializing in Camillus 72 knives and it's variations/clones. Currently I have 13, Craftsman 9494 pocket knives.
The picture below is of 7 of them.
Attachments
image.jpeg

Skip
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I think it is very neat to collect multiples of a favorite pattern. At one point i had close to 50 of the bone handles 2 blade EO jacks made during WW II.
Is the S-W 863 the exact size of the Camillus 72 pattern ?
kj
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

kootenay joe wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 3:05 am I think it is very neat to collect multiples of a favorite pattern. At one point i had close to 50 of the bone handles 2 blade EO jacks made during WW II.
Is the S-W 863 the exact size of the Camillus 72 pattern ?
kj
Yes, 3 5/8" closed.

Skip
ea42

Post by ea42 »

kootenay joe wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 10:08 pm Good post Jason. I am aware and agree with what you say and i was following Codger as he discovered many of the Sears connections back around 2008 in BF.
Knife manufacturers often contracted out to each other for either the entire knife or some of the work. Camillus might of agreed to supply Sears with a Coin knife, knowing that Imperial was set up to make these and knowing they would get Imperial to supply these. (Imperial to Camillus to Sears)
But, if Camillus did make a Coin knife and therefore had the tooling needed, then they would have made it 'in house'.
The "Sta-Sharp" etch on the coin knife is in a 'style' i have not seen before. It is not the usual 'look'. Is this because the blade is small ? or because the etch was not done at Camillus ?
Who made what in 'knives' is often not straight forward.
kj
Roland, ownership of Camillus didn't pass to Albert Baer until the early sixties. At the time the coin knife was made the company was still controlled by the Kastor brothers and had no connection to Imperial. If it wasn't made in house I would think the most likely scenario would be that they contracted it to their connections in Germany.

Eric
jxr1197
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jxr1197 »

ea42 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 5:34 pm Roland, ownership of Camillus didn't pass to Albert Baer until the early sixties. At the time the coin knife was made the company was still controlled by the Kastor brothers and had no connection to Imperial. If it wasn't made in house I would think the most likely scenario would be that they contracted it to their connections in Germany.

Eric
Albert Baer didn't own all of Camillus until 1963 but by the time a seriously unbalanced Alfred Kastor forced Baer out of the company he had already bought all of Augustus Kastor's shares so he was essentially fired from a company that he owned 1/3 of! It must have drove Alfred crazy that Baer was making money from, AND competing with, Camillus at the same time.

The coin knife quest is taking on a life of its own. I keep changing direction on what I think it is. I have found other identical knives to this one online and it looks like they were Ambassadors - which is a Colonial brand. I sent Steve Paolantonino an email yesterday but haven't heard back yet. If he doesn't claim it as one of his own then I'll try the German angle. One of the Kastors German marks was Gold Coin. Could be just a coincidence. I'll post here again if I figure anything else out.
- Jason
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Very cool Jason, nice sleuthing! I never considered the Colonial angle.

Eric
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Eric & Jason, thanks for the historical info. I find it as interesting as the knives, but it is a complicated history and easy to get dates mixed up between Ulster, Schrade, Camillus & Imperial.
kj
tnorton

Post by tnorton »

Bought a group of knives off ebay - this "OLD CRAFTY" 9545 was in the bunch - Delrin handles were bleached or discolored soaked in mineral oil overnight - helped some - still a fun little knife -- Clint
Attachments
IMG_4386.JPG
IMG_4387.JPG
IMG_4388.JPG
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Clint, fun is a nice description of that little knife. Congrats. ::nod:: ::nod::
TPK

Post by TPK »

tnorton wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 11:11 pm Bought a group of knives off ebay - this "OLD CRAFTY" 9545 was in the bunch - Delrin handles were bleached or discolored soaked in mineral oil overnight - helped some - still a fun little knife -- Clint
That's a pretty cool little knife Clint! I like it! Congrats on that interesting find! ::handshake:: :D
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
TPK

Post by TPK »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 2:19 am
kootenay joe wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:00 am Skip, did you post 2 other Craftsman 9494 knives last week or so ?
kj
Roland, I posted these two knives a few days ago when I bought them and now, when I received them. I've posted quite a few Craftsman 9494 knives. Not necessarily in this thread, but they are ALL posted throughout this thread.
I'm specializing in Camillus 72 knives and it's variations/clones. Currently I have 13, Craftsman 9494 pocket knives.
Man Skip, I love your 72's, Craftsman & other clones collection. Simply put, they are just really cool knives! ::tu:: :D
Wish I could collect those over here! ::tear:: Or Case knives, or Quenn, or Schrade or Camillus or..., ::facepalm::
Only brand I can really find a Ton of is Victorinox. They are ok knives, but not exactly this cat's meow. ::skeptic::
Or the "old school" metal gentleman's knives. ::tired:: :roll:

(I wonder if there is a strong enough glue that I could use to glue thin bone or stag handles onto the old metal knives to make them more appealing to me? ::hmm:: And would that be a "crime" if I did glue handles onto metal knives? ::hmm:: It probably would be. I need to give this thought more thought. ::hmm:: Just thinking out loud. ::hmm:: )
Any thoughts anyone? ::shrug::

doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Tom when my Son lived in Freiburg and I would visit I was amazed at the lack of knives. I thought they would be everywhere but alas. So good luck in your hunting. ::shrug::
tnorton

Post by tnorton »

Old Crafty says - Thanks Guys :D
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Tom, yes you can glue bone or stag handle pieces to metal. Go to the forum here that deals with knife repair and ask there to find out which glue and a few tips to make sure you get good results.
kj
KAW

Post by KAW »

Here's my contribution:

a nice little 3¼” jack №9541:

for Craftsman 50th anniversary... a large 4" stockman №95044:
11883 11882

Now to go back & catch up with the other 15 pages of this thread...
'til later....
Ken

10031 means.... never having a dull moment. 8)
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Two knice pick ups Ken. I especially like the little jack. ::tu::
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

TPK wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:50 am
New_Windsor_NY wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 2:19 am
kj
Man Skip, I love your 72's, Craftsman & other clones collection. Simply put, they are just really cool knives! ::tu:: :D
Thank you Tom. ::tu:: Sorry for the late reply.

Skip
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Those 1977 Craftsman knives are top notch. The '8OT' one is in particular well done, especially in fit & finish.
kj
TPK

Post by TPK »

kootenay joe wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 1:35 am Tom, yes you can glue bone or stag handle pieces to metal. Go to the forum here that deals with knife repair and ask there to find out which glue and a few tips to make sure you get good results.
kj
Thanks for the input kj! ::handshake:: ::tu::

JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

14E9D800-B94F-4035-9709-D626E380C2D1.jpeg
07DC8460-6FB0-4B04-8C9D-7AA6B3FC4B4F.jpeg
C300304C-EC89-40EF-BFCC-9D1A00541926.jpeg
6295A8B8-96BA-4F9D-8E6D-2244163CD87F.jpeg
Nice knives everyone. Great thread. Here are a few.
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

D63A1ADA-B4CA-4076-AE19-69F513E4E47C.jpeg
1A11EAE0-4D70-46BA-8952-8C295F0509DB.jpeg
2AFBFE7D-829F-44FD-AC85-E51B23F9A6B7.jpeg
Few more
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

JAMESC41001 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 11:02 pm 14E9D800-B94F-4035-9709-D626E380C2D1.jpeg07DC8460-6FB0-4B04-8C9D-7AA6B3FC4B4F.jpegC300304C-EC89-40EF-BFCC-9D1A00541926.jpeg6295A8B8-96BA-4F9D-8E6D-2244163CD87F.jpegNice knives everyone. Great thread. Here are a few.

First time I've seen Craftsman fixed blades.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”