Did this knife ever see the inside of the Schrade Walden factory?

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
Tsar Bomba

Did this knife ever see the inside of the Schrade Walden factory?

Post by Tsar Bomba »

The title is pretty much self-explanatory. I have here a 2-spring muskrat that has only a Schrade Walden tang stamp. It is in remarkable condition, but I have a lot of questions. None of the metal seems to be polished in any meaningful way, and the bone is in pristine condition as are the surfaces of the blades. However, I'm almost positive this bone is not Schrade-original (the pivot pin is not ground and the end pins are sunken) and I have to wonder if this is actually a Walden era knife at all. Overall it's a well-made knife, but the jigging on the bone hints at Pacific rim to me, and there are no other markings on the knife such as a model number or etching. My read of this knife is that it's not an actual Schrade Walden, but I'm far from an expert on Schrade. Anyone with more experience than me care to weigh in?
Attachments
2020-01-14_04-13-27.jpg
2020-01-14_04-13-32.jpg
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
tongueriver

Re: Did this knife ever see the inside of the Schrade Walden factory?

Post by tongueriver »

The blades and their respective stampings are legitimate for the latter years of Imperial Schrade, when they had resurrected that stamp (in a different font) from the good old pre-1973 days. The bone looks to me like that on the Tennessee Trapper (for instance), also a late run. Whether that knife was a 'put together' from the last days or some other deal, I do not know. But the parts are pre 2004 Schrade, I believe. There are 2 or 3 other guys that will show up sometime soon which probably have better information on the subject.
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Looks like an unfinished cigar box classic.

Considering these are listed as new in the 2004 catalog it stands to reason some were not finished when schrade closed.

IMG_6591.PNG
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Thar ya go. ::tu::
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Glad to see that what I have here is most likely a genuine end-of-days USA Schrade. It will proudly be added to my carry rotation. Thanks a lot, guys! ::handshake::

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”