Just look at what THEY did to the 125OT

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
Meridian_Mike

Just look at what THEY did to the 125OT

Post by Meridian_Mike »

It's a shame that the name "Schrade" gets stamped on these knives from china.....
This one should be a "charade" and not a Schrade.....

The first thing that caught my eye was the "SCHRADE" tang stamp.....
china 1.jpg
Then.... the shield is upside down.....
china 2.jpg
Then I saw the pile side tang stamp...... china.....
china 3.jpg
I might be wrong in saying this, BUT.... I just have to turn up my nose at the chinese Schrades.....
That knife is about like a ole black eye.

::facepalm::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
cody6268

Re: Just look at what THEY did to the 125OT

Post by cody6268 »

And I usually do myself as well, because for the most part, they are inferior, but more expensive than most traditional Rough Riders. Typically if I don't see "USA", it's definitely Taylor. But, keep in mind, they did use (I mean, rip off) the Schrade Walden NY USA tang stamp quite a lot. I thought that went totally against import laws? Chinese Camillus sucks big time as well. I got pretty ticked when not long after I bought a "Granddad's Pocket Knife" (basically a penknife in a Large Stockman frame) for $10 at Tractor Supply, only to find they just rebranded an $5 knife from Walmart's Ozark Trail line. Besides, that knife was awful. I've had one-dollar Frosts that took and held an edge better.

I am really debating getting a more premium line of Taylor Old Timers. Steel is supposedly 9Cr18MOV, which is even better than 8Cr13MOV. But, I don't think Taylor hardens their blades as well as say, a Rough Rider or basically any Chinese Kershaw. Grinds are cleaner, and the bone they use is just beautiful. At $20, they're no more than the regular (ugly) Taylor Old Timers are locally. But, I think I'll save my money and go for an American-made Lumberjack, or 125/25OT. At present, I have no Old Timers larger than an 8OT, and my biggest American Schrade is a CH-7. Besides, my local knife shop has a loose, but unused American-made LB-7 for twenty-five dollars. Figure I'll just spring for that one, as it's only $5 more than a Buck 110LT. And, made in Ellenville, not some place in China. When I buy Chinese, I mostly stick to Rough Rider. Most of the patterns I buy are $10 or less, and I've never been disappointed. They hold their edges as well as anything American, and they sharpen up quite easily.
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

I have a couple of the Rough Riders (elephant toes) but for the most part, I just want to buy American if I can.
AND... since I am mostly in Schrade and Old Timer mode right now, I avoid the chinese OTs like the plague.

For one other thing...... When it comes to the shields on the chinese Old Timers, I have noticed they fall out a LOT.
(They must have gotten their glue recipe from Boker.....)

::huff::
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

You won't see any love (or like) from me for the chinese knives with the schrade name on them.

The schrade legacy forum is not the place to discuss these chinese knives.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Meridian_Mike wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:22 pm I have a couple of the Rough Riders (elephant toes) but for the most part, I just want to buy American if I can.
AND... since I am mostly in Schrade and Old Timer mode right now, I avoid the chinese OTs like the plague.

For one other thing...... When it comes to the shields on the chinese Old Timers, I have noticed they fall out a LOT.
(They must have gotten their glue recipe from Boker.....)

::huff::
Happened on BOTH of the Chinese ones I had, 12OT that my Granddad bought me when they introduced the Chinese Schrades (it is etched "First Production Run"), and an 834UH. I have only seen missing shields on a tiny number of really bad and abused Schrades. Part of the reason I personally won't touch the Chinese ones with a ten-foot pole. Only import Schrades I am interested in is the Irish-made Jackmasters, the German-made ISC Discovery Series (Swiss Army-type knives), and the sorta rare Mexican Imperials.
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

KnifeSlinger#81 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:27 pm You won't see any love (or like) from me for the chinese knives with the schrade name on them.

The schrade legacy forum is not the place to discuss these chinese knives.
Yep, I guess you are right... sorry.....
(I don't know what came over me..... just a lot of disgust I guess)

::facepalm::
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Don't sweat it Mike, I certainly can't blame you for being disgusted with those knives.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Mike if you are looking for a minty Schrade U.S.A. 125OT, send me a PM. I still have a few of them. I prefer it over the 2 blade 25OT. But the 4" 123OT is also a very fine knife, but only made for 3 years in late 1980's, so a bit rare.
kj
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I've got a USA made one, fresh out of the box. It is sad that a knife maker like this was moved to overseas production. I just hope other USA knife companies are able to keep production here. ::pray::
Attachments
IMG_20191125_215312345.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

1967redrider wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:40 pm I've got a USA made one, fresh out of the box. It is sad that a knife maker like this was moved to overseas production. I just hope other USA knife companies are able to keep production here. ::pray::
That is a NICE 125OT your have there!

While looking into knife companies histories, you can see that most of the major knife companies here in the US were put out of business because they just couldn't keep the doors open. The average American consumer would rather buy a knife at a cheap price than a QUALITY knife at a FAIR price.
Heck, when a knife comes here from china and it sells for $19.95.... what chance do the American knife makers stand?
The chinese pay their "workers" (ie slaves) fish heads and rice to put knives together. Then, they pocket a HEALTHY profit, ship these knives to the US and they STILL have a low price tag attached.
I ain't buyin' no chinese knives if I know what I am doing at the time.
::barf::
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

::doh:: c-crap ::paranoid:: :oops:
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”