MODIFIED SCHRADES

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
tongueriver
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

MODIFIED SCHRADES

Post by tongueriver » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:00 pm

Show yours. This was a two blade UH hunter. Now it has a sawblade secondary with linerlock. I can almost draw blood just touching that sawblade; it is wicked.
puz003.jpg

cody6268
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: MODIFIED SCHRADES

Post by cody6268 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:19 pm

Given one place I've seen still has those Son of Gun sawblades for peanuts (as well as those for the Buzzsaw Trapper), I was thinking of a having a similar mod done to a used Folding Hunter (if I can find one in the $20-30 range), as opposed to trying to find one that came that way from the factory (which is EXPENSIVE!). But, do you have to have the locking liner? I haven't really seen that exact part too often.

Great job! Schrade did have good saws. I've used the one on my Tough Tool (a USA model) a lot.

jxr1197
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jxr1197 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:11 pm

Interesting topic. I wonder if modified knives are mostly the result of an idea on how to improve it or if they're more commonly put together because a part broke and it was repaired with what was available. ::hmm::

When I found this 2203 the pen blade was snapped off. I could have had a new blade made for it but I thought it would be more interesting to go with a punch. I think it looks right at home in there.
IMG_0213.jpg
IMG_0212.jpg
IMG_0214.jpg
- Jason

tongueriver
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by tongueriver » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:27 pm

Harness jack, eh? If'n this social isolatin' don't let up for a few months I am either going to have to exercise portion control or else punch some new holes in my belt.

jxr1197
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jxr1197 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:19 pm

Indeed..
david.jpg
- Jason

tongueriver
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by tongueriver » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:25 pm

Good one, Jason. Oh... and yes... I do like your Washington jack very much.

Meridian_Mike
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Meridian_Mike » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:36 pm

tongueriver wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:25 pm
X2...
That style is HIGH on my list of favorites!
::tu:: ::tu::
“We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now qualified to do anything, with nothing.”
Mother Teresa

jxr1197
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jxr1197 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:59 pm

Meridian_Mike wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:36 pm
tongueriver wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:25 pm
X2...
That style is HIGH on my list of favorites!
::tu:: ::tu::
GEC made a brick shithouse of a Washington bolstered harness jack (#77) that's a little bigger than the Schrade. They still pop up from time to time on ebay. I've got a whitebone version. Or if you find a busted up Schrade I always think they're worth salvaging. Kaleb (muskrat man) put my 2203 harness jack together for me.
- Jason

Meridian_Mike
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Meridian_Mike » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:23 pm

jxr1197 wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:59 pm
GEC made a brick shithouse of a Washington bolstered harness jack (#77) that's a little bigger than the Schrade. They still pop up from time to time on ebay. I've got a whitebone version. Or if you find a busted up Schrade I always think they're worth salvaging. Kaleb (muskrat man) put my 2203 harness jack together for me.
I would love to find an old 2203 for my collection.
I have 4 of the Old Timers now. Including this one I just re-worked and put bone back on the handles. The PO had some sort of birds eye maple scales on it but that was just WRONG in so many ways!

Here she is before and after with her new clothes on.
Before...
SW 2ot_3.JPG
After...
after 1.JPG
I left the original blades with the knife since they weren't too far gone.
Maybe a 2203 will come walking in soon.....LOL

:D
“We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now qualified to do anything, with nothing.”
Mother Teresa

jxr1197
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jxr1197 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:50 pm

Meridian_Mike wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:23 pm
I have 4 of the Old Timers now. Including this one I just re-worked and put bone back on the handles. The PO had some sort of birds eye maple scales on it but that was just WRONG in so many ways!

Before...

The red bone is very nice. You know, if that blade was just a little more sheepfoot-ish you'd almost have yourself a 3OT. ::tu::
3ot.jpg
3ot.jpg (13.65 KiB) Viewed 1214 times
- Jason

Meridian_Mike
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Meridian_Mike » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:05 pm

jxr1197 wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:50 pm
Meridian_Mike wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:23 pm

Before...

The red bone is very nice. You know, if that blade was just a little more sheepfoot-ish you'd almost have yourself a 3OT. ::tu::
3ot.jpg
Beautiful...
Thanks for posting that Jason!
::tu::
Mother Teresa

jxr1197
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jxr1197 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:39 pm

gnarly3rd.jpg
New to the collection this week is a 3rd Generation 641 covered in burnt gnarly stag with some fancy file work and a gut hook cut into the blade. I have a little pile of custom 3rd Gens going.
- Jason

Dinadan

Post by Dinadan » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:33 am

Very cool knives posted here, fellows!

I only mod a knife if a blade is tipped. I have three Craftsman knives, made by Schrade, that had tipped blades. One had two tipped clip blades and a worn down coping blade. Here they are, in all their ignominy.
Craftsman
Craftsman
Craftsman
Craftsman
The one at the top is my favorite carry. I have a couple of others that are perfect, but I like having a small sheepsfoot and a coping blade for secondaries. The one at the bottom also gets a good bit of pocket time. I just like using it because it has character.
Mel

Meridian_Mike
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Meridian_Mike » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:16 pm

Heck yeah Mel.....
I LIKE those! Great job on the blade reshaping!

::tu::
Mother Teresa

Wobblehead

Post by Wobblehead » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:59 am

I’ve had this 3OT got years. The spring was broken right after I got it. I’ve also had this piece of deer antler for years. 5 minutes with a drill and I have a new skinner.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”