Schrade Bomb Tech Special Edition

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
NACEOD

Schrade Bomb Tech Special Edition

Post by NACEOD »

Good afternoon. My first post here.

I stumbled across this forum researching an EOD knife issued to me some time 2000-2005. I did a quick search for EOD and came up with a couple pages of results. I thought Jackpot. Turns out EOD in the search result meant something completely different.

Anyway, here's the EOD knife unused with factory edge. I got it toward the end of my career so it went in my locker and then to a box in a closet.
Attachments
20200613_151841.jpg
20200613_151912.jpg
tongueriver

Re: Schrade Bomb Tech Special Edition

Post by tongueriver »

I believe that there are pre- and post- bankruptcy versions of those knives and I don't know a thing about them. Someone here does, however and I will be in line to learn something new. Welcome and thanks for the post and good images.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Nope, I'm not the one tongueriver was talking about :lol:

Very cool knife! And welcome aboard.
I'm going to go out on a limb and figure that if you were issued an EOD knife, you did some military time. Thanks for your service!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Welcome to AAPK! Don't know anything about it...but thanks for posting it. Very neat knife!
::welcome::
::handshake::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

NACEOD, what a wonderful, specialized tool. First one I ever saw. Thanks ::handshake:: .
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Welcome to AAPK. Glad to have you aboard. Grab a rack & stow your gear.
Well I don't know squat about Schrade (or really any other brand) or EOD but I'm betting there's someone here who does.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
bladecollectorr

Post by bladecollectorr »

That huge knife looks like a 2001 Schrade USA BT01 "Bomb Tech No 1". The Bomb Tech No 1 is unusual in that it has a forged stainless blade. The dowel on the sheath is for holding rolls of tape.

The "BT01" model number was also used on a different Schrade USA knife as well: the more common BT01 "Schrade Extreme" Survival knife which didn't have the blunt tip etc. When Imperial Schrade went under Taylor Brands started making Chinese versions as well.

More info here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bom ... fe.882058/

Look on the guard for the stamp shown in the pic below. If it's there then it's a made in USA, Imperial Schrade Bomb Tech No 1.
BT01 stamp.jpg

I think it might have a serial number on it too. Its on the metal butt of the knife, look for it as in pic below.
BT01 serial location.jpg
I don't always respond to great posts but I always appreciate seeing them. Thanks for posting! ::tu::
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Great looking knife and ::welcome:: to AAPK.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
NACEOD

Post by NACEOD »

Thank you all for the welcome and information.

It's as bladecollectorr described with the stamped guard and serial #.
20200614_091511.jpg
20200614_091458.jpg
20200614_091432_HDR.jpg
Thanks for the help. Now I've got a shoe box of other knives to look up on this forum.

Rob
bladecollectorr

NACEOD wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:49 pm Thank you all for the welcome and information.

It's as bladecollectorr described with the stamped guard and serial #.

Thanks for the help. Now I've got a shoe box of other knives to look up on this forum.

Rob
Glad to be of service, Rob. Thanks for posting the follow up pics. I think you'll find questions with pictures get answered pretty fast round here.

Looking forward to seeing your other knives.

bc
I don't always respond to great posts but I always appreciate seeing them. Thanks for posting! ::tu::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have the same Bomb Tech knife & sheath but there is no serial #.
I also have a similar knife with pointy tip and blackened blade & pommel. I don't know the pattern # ?
Both are Schrade/U.S.A.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is my Bomb Tech knife and a similar Schrade pattern but without the squared off tip. What is the pattern # for this knife ? Both are Schrade U.S.A.
Here are 2 other knives, bayonet ? that have similar blade grinds but have no markings. Might these be Schrade or Imperial made ?
Thanks for the help.
kj
Attachments
IMGP8943.JPG
IMGP8944.JPG
IMGP8945.JPG
IMGP8946.JPG
bladecollectorr

kootenay joe wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:43 pm ...a similar Schrade pattern but without the squared off tip. What is the pattern # for this knife ? ...
kj
The 2nd knife pictured is a DBL2 "Double Eagle". Sheath is a mismatch. It's for an Ontario MK 3 MOD 0 USN (as marked).

1998 catalog, page 9
1998 page-9.jpg
2000 catalog, page 2
2000 page-2.jpg
kootenay joe wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:43 pm ...Here are 2 other knives, bayonet ? that have similar blade grinds but have no markings. Might these be Schrade or Imperial made ?
Thanks for the help.
kj
They sure look like bayonets to me. I have no idea who made them. Such things were often made to military specs so they had to look the same regardless of who produced them, like a TL-29 electrician knife etc. Many companies made those.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks. In the 2000 flyer it shows the BT01 with a pointed tip whereas the 1998 flyer shows it with the squared off tip, yet both have the same pattern #.
So are there 2 versions of the BT01 ?
And $150 new in 2000 ! I did not know it was priced this high. Was it actually very expensive to make ? If it was for military and law enforcement i doubt very many could afford to buy it.
Is the value still about $150 ? (actually the $150 is for the version with a point, not the squared off Bomb Tech, which i would think is even more valuable).
kj
bladecollectorr

kootenay joe wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:14 pm Thanks. In the 2000 flyer it shows the BT01 with a pointed tip whereas the 1998 flyer shows it with the squared off tip, yet both have the same pattern #.
So are there 2 versions of the BT01 ?
And $150 new in 2000 ! I did not know it was priced this high. Was it actually very expensive to make ? If it was for military and law enforcement i doubt very many could afford to buy it.
Is the value still about $150 ? (actually the $150 is for the version with a point, not the squared off Bomb Tech, which i would think is even more valuable).
kj
I think the 2000 catalog and 1998 catalog match. The main knife pic is just cropped in 1998 listing. Look again at the smaller inset pic. Pointy! I couldn't find any paperwork regarding the Bomb Tech knife. I did run across these though:
SC98-098.jpg
SC98-LA147.jpg
As mentioned earlier Schrade did indeed reuse the BT01 Schrade Extreme Survival number for the BT01 Bomb Tech No 1 special edition.

I think the high price was due to Schrade's hopeful assumption that you can get bigger bucks for bigger knives and primarily because both BT01 versions have forged blades. I guess it costs more to forge a blade than to do stock removal or fine-blanking. Who knows how much more it really cost Schrade to make them but "forged" was a selling point for sure.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks for this help. I very much appreciate it.
Very odd that the "Bomb Tech" is not in the flyers.
Is the Bomb Tech version more rare than the BT01 with a point ? Neither is commonly seen.
The BT01 and the DBL2 do not seem to generate much collector interest.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I will sell my Bomb Tech knife. If you would like to buy it send me a PM or email: rprocter@telus.net
kj
LRV

Post by LRV »

There were 2 versions of the knife. The BT01 (1995) was pointed and was not called the bomb tech. The BTV7 (1996) has the blunted tip and the bomb tech logo and a different sheath It was also serialized where the BT01 does not look to be so.
I dont believe the BTV7 flyer was posted publicly as it was supposed to be sold to servicepersons only. Police and military. There is also a colored flyer of the BT01 from 1996.
Bomb-Tech-logo.jpg
scan0006a.jpg
scan0009.jpg
“A knife in a man’s hand is as precious as a diamond necklace on a woman’s neck” - Michael Mirando I.S.C.
LRV

Post by LRV »

Also...
In 1998 they brought out the DBL2 with the pointed black blade without the pry end on the handle. Similar blade profiles to add to our confusion.
Stay well.
Larry
“A knife in a man’s hand is as precious as a diamond necklace on a woman’s neck” - Michael Mirando I.S.C.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thank you Larry.
My Bomb Tech is properly marked Schrade USA, but has no serial number.
The 2 pouches on front of sheath are empty. I don't know if it came this way or if there were 'supplies' in them originally ?
kj

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”