Advertising Knives

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
jxr1197

Re: Advertising Knives

Post by jxr1197 »

Ulster (Divine) for Hotel Kingsbury.
hotelkingsbury.jpg
- Jason
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

jxr1197 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:32 pm Ulster (Divine) for Hotel Kingsbury.
hotelkingsbury.jpg
Really cool!
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

hotelkingsbury.jpg
No fair, Jason! Pre-Baer! Oh... alright. I like it.
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

tongueriver wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:12 amNo fair, Jason! Pre-Baer! Oh... alright. I like it.
The funny thing is I thought to add Divine as an afterthought because I figured those room prices would have dated it there anyway.
- Jason
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

hotelkingsbury.jpg
I looked that place up. I presume it no longer exists, but I happened to see a few old post cards; one with those prices was dated 1925. The cost is equivalent now to surprisingly just $65 a night. I think the Comfort Inn down the road is more expensive. And I'm in basically little more than a one-horse town! I am sure, however, due to the ATV trails and the like our officials constantly tout (and are the bane of any lifelong resident) it's gone up more than that.
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

cody6268 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:55 amThe cost is equivalent now to surprisingly just $65 a night.
You're even giving them the best case scenario of double room with bath. The single room no bath would translate to $29 today. Most towns have at least one shady motel that rents rooms by the hour. Maybe this was Waterbury, CT's version of that. Although if you look at the postcards of the place (ebay) you'd think they were competing with the Waldorf Astoria.
- Jason
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

WOW.... Jason, that is an ultra nice piece of history!
That is so cool that it has not only an advertisement for the hotel but it also has prices.... VERY nice!!

::tu:: ::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

Meridian_Mike wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:36 am...but it also has prices..
Exactly why I bought it - that was the best part of the knife to me. ::tu::
- Jason
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

This advertising pocket knife arrived recently in a very large group or lot of pocket knives that I bought. I did NOT buy the group or lot of pocket knives just to obtain this particular pocket knife. But, as it turned out, it is a keeper. It is a SCHRADE 778, one blade, one tool (a file), two tang stamps, 2 7/8" closed, one spring, all metal, advertising pocket knife. The main blade front tang stamp says "SCHRADE (over) WALDEN (over) N.Y. U.S.A." The main blade back tang stamp says "778 (over) STAINLESS" The main handle side says "CROSS COTTON MILLS COMPANY" Overall, it is in EXCELLENT condition. The main blade has a good opening and closing snap. The file also has a good opening and closing snap. It did NOT need any cleaning at all. I took some pictures and here it is.
Caption(s), if any, are on the BOTTOM of the corresponding picture(s).
Click on a picture to ENLARGE.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Top - The Main Blade Front Tang Stamp.<br />Bottom - The Main Blade Back Tang Stamp.
Top - The Main Blade Front Tang Stamp.
Bottom - The Main Blade Back Tang Stamp.
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
LRV

Post by LRV »

Here are a few flyers from Schrade/Imperial that were the knives offered as advertisement pieces.

http://www.collectors-of-schrades-r.us/ ... /index.htm

Enjoy
Larry
“A knife in a man’s hand is as precious as a diamond necklace on a woman’s neck” - Michael Mirando I.S.C.
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

Here is a MoorMan's livestock feed company bone handled 825 Schrade Walden.
Founded by T.A. Moorman and sons in the 1880’s.
Attachments
825 SW MoorMan's.JPG
825 SW MoorMan's (2).JPG
825 SW MoorMan's (4).JPG
825 SW MoorMan's (5).JPG
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Recently, this advertising, lobster pattern or style of pocket knife arrived. It now becomes my latest example to be posted under this topic or thread. It was in a large group or lot of pocket knives that I purchased. I did NOT purchase the group or lot of pocket knives to obtain this particular pocket knife. But, it is a keeper and will be added to my general pocket knife collection. It is a SCHRADE, two blades, one tool (a file), two tang stamps, 3 1/16" closed, advertising, lobster pattern or style of pocket knife. The main blade front tang stamp says "SCHRADE (over) WALDEN (over) N.Y. U.S.A." The main blade back tang stamp says "865 (over) STAINLESS" The main handle side says "FAITOUTE NEWARK, N.J." The other handle side says "FISCO STEELS" Overall, it is in EXCELLENT condition. The main blade has a good opening and closing snap. The secondary blade has a good opening and closing snap. The file also has a good opening and closing snap. It did NOT need any cleaning at all. I took some pictures and here it is.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
The Main Blade Front Tang Stamp.
The Main Blade Back Tang Stamp.
The Main Blade Back Tang Stamp.

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Recently, my trip to the post office produced this advertising pocket knife. It is one out of a trio of pocket knives that John, aka 1967redrider sent to me. Again, THANK YOU, John. ::tu:: ::handshake::
This advertising pocket knife is my most recent example to be posted under this topic or thread. It is also the latest example to be added to my collection. It is a SCHRADE, one blade, one tool (file), one tang stamp, 2 7/8" closed (not including the bail), one spring, all metal, advertising, pocket knife. The main blade front tang stamp says "SCHRADE (over) N.Y. U.S.A. (over) SS778" The main handle side says "45th ANNIVERSARY 1978 MIRACLE WHIP" The other handle side says "75th ANNIVERSARY 1978 KRAFT" The 1978 is the only Miracle Whip pocket knife with advertising on both handle sides. The main blade has a good opening and closing snap. The tool also has a good opening and closing snap. Overall, this pocket knife is in EXCELLENT condition. It needed NO cleaning at all. I took some pictures and here it is. The last two pictures show this advertising pocket knife with the rest of my Miracle Whip family.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
My Miracle Whip Family - The Main Handle Side.
My Miracle Whip Family - The Main Handle Side.
My Miracle Whip Family - The Other Handle Side.
My Miracle Whip Family - The Other Handle Side.

Skip
black mamba

Post by black mamba »

This melon tester from the 1960s has JOHNNY PEAK engraved on the celluloid handle. I'm afraid I know nothing about the company/name.
SWSS700open.jpg
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

The guy that gave me this knife said they had a cardboard display on the counter with a price of 25 cents.
Attachments
F1C8359D-8A5A-4686-9325-11BB134C0677.jpeg
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Some old Schrade advertising knives.
Attachments
8-9.jpg
8-9.jpg (16.42 KiB) Viewed 786 times
5.jpg