5UH Bruin lockback - "Special Edition" in blue jigged bone

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
bladecollectorr

5UH Bruin lockback - "Special Edition" in blue jigged bone

Post by bladecollectorr »

In late 2003 (maybe 2004) Schrade created a Special Edition set in blue jigged bone. I don't think exact production numbers are known but they didn't complete very many sets. I know a couple folks have a complete set. That's about it.

Some incomplete knives from this set escaped from the factory when it closed. These ones don't have the "Special Edition" etch or a shield of any kind. Great knives nonetheless.

I recently landed a 5UH from these sets that seems very much to be a complete package sold to SMKW(?) before the closure in July 2004. It may give us a model number for this knife that we didn't have before. Maybe this set did "go into production" but they only did a run of 50 or 100 finished knives. My example may shed some light on the subject.

I took lots of pics during the unboxing so I could remember and share exactly how it was when I received it and then a few more pics after a quick Flitz of the bolsters and shield. Then one more with some classy friends. I will post them all so you guys can see what I'm seeing.

After some consideration, the impression I get from the packaging and the bar-code on the box is that this knife is a finished complete package that was sold and shipped before the close.

When I originally saw this knife listed I thought SMKW had likely bought it in the liquidation sale and boxed it up themselves. Then when I got it I saw the bar-code sticker that wasn't pictured. I dunno... "50BC" sounds like a very possible model number for this knife. I've never heard that model number applied to another knife. Maybe "50 Blue Cut" bone or something similar. What do you think? "Blue Cobalt"? "Bone Cobalt"? "Big Cheeseburger"?

I'd love to hear any opinions regarding the completeness of the package, whether it shipped before or after the close and whether or not "50BC" sounds like a good model number for it.

As received:
5UH as received 01_resize.jpg
5UH as received 02_resize.jpg
5UH as received 03_resize.jpg
5UH as received 04_resize.jpg
5UH as received 05_resize.jpg
5UH as received 06_resize.jpg
5UH as received 07_resize.jpg
5UH as received 08_resize.jpg
5UH as received 09_resize.jpg
5UH as received 10_resize.jpg
I don't always respond to great posts but I always appreciate seeing them. Thanks for posting! ::tu::
bladecollectorr

Re: 5UH Bruin lockback - "Special Edition" in blue jigged bone

After a gentle Flitz polish:
5UH open - mark_resize.jpg
5UH open - pile_resize.jpg
5UH closed - spine_resize.jpg
5UH blade well x1200w.jpg
With some similar friends:
5OT x4 fancy group x1200w.jpg
I don't always respond to great posts but I always appreciate seeing them. Thanks for posting! ::tu::
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

I'm sure it's Big Cheeseburger. Fantastic find and discovering the pattern number is a nice bonus! ::tu::
- Jason
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

That color of blue is exceptionally nice!
Man, that is a nice group of #5s you have there!

::tu:: ::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

That's a blue I'm not ambivalent about! That's nice!!! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

I can't help in any meaningful way, but that sure is a great looking knife.
I love the blue bone.
I had Bob/Elvis rehandle a Kabar folding hunter in a very similar material purchased from Culpepper.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
bladecollectorr

Thanks for the comments guys! The four knives in the group shot are being displayed on my sub-woofer right in front of me. I tweaked the pics pretty well and they look the same in person as in the photos. That cobalt really is a nice deep shade of blue.
bladecollectorr

A comparison pic demonstrating the relative thickness of the handles:
5OT x4 open spine x1200w.jpg
LRV

Post by LRV »

Great looking package.
I have 2 of the knives, neither have a shield nor stamp with an ID.
I got them shortly after the closing before the auction in 2 different transactions.
I don’t have any 2003/4 information that would help. There is a flyer with the blue handled knives I’ll try to dig it out.
Great find.
Thanks for showing.
Larry
“A knife in a man’s hand is as precious as a diamond necklace on a woman’s neck” - Michael Mirando I.S.C.
bladecollectorr

LRV wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:48 pm Great looking package.
I have 2 of the knives, neither have a shield nor stamp with an ID.
I got them shortly after the closing before the auction in 2 different transactions.
I don’t have any 2003/4 information that would help. There is a flyer with the blue handled knives I’ll try to dig it out.
Great find.
Thanks for showing.
Larry
Thanks Larry! I do really appreciate your insights and any digging you have already done. I would certainly love to see the flyer. I scoured your site and never ran across it.

Today I'm cleaning up the bolsters on a recent Parker AB-11 knife I purchased mainly for the Bill Feeney scrimshaw artwork. It is a tiny lockback at 2-3/16" closed. I have enjoyed the new Parker additions to your website. I will send you some pics once they are taken. Please add them to the Parker section if you are so inclined.
LRV

Post by LRV »

Gladly to add pictures anytime.

Found the 100th anniv Blue handled specials that do not contain the 5uh.
The flyer is SC03-CP233.
I’m using a new iPad and haven’t mastered copying links yet.
Ill keep looking.
http://www.collectors-of-schrades-r.us/ ... -CP233.htm
“A knife in a man’s hand is as precious as a diamond necklace on a woman’s neck” - Michael Mirando I.S.C.

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”