Build Your Own Schrade

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
jxr1197

Build Your Own Schrade

Post by jxr1197 »

This was a neat idea but the timing was bad. They closed before any were made. Take a look at the letter for details -

All blades are right around 5.5"
kkblanks.jpg
KKltr.r.jpg
- Jason
TPK

Re: Build Your Own Schrade

Post by TPK »

jxr1197 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:59 pm This was a neat idea but the timing was bad. They closed before any were made. Take a look at the letter for details -

All blades are right around 5.5"
kkblanks.jpg

KKltr.r.jpg
That's very interesting Jason, thanks for sharing! ::handshake:: ::tu:: :D
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

TPK wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:08 pm That's very interesting Jason, thanks for sharing! ::handshake:: ::tu:: :D
Thanks Tom ::tu::
- Jason
TPK

Post by TPK »

jxr1197 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:49 pm
TPK wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:08 pm That's very interesting Jason, thanks for sharing! ::handshake:: ::tu:: :D
Thanks Tom ::tu::
Are those your knives in the picture? ::shrug::

jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

TPK wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:51 pm Are those your knives in the picture? ::shrug::
They are. I just received them today. I *might* be able to get my hands on a filet blank too - that would be great to see the whole series together. The only thing I'm not sure of is what option they had for scales. I've got these walnut(?) scales that came with the blanks but I'm not sure if other materials / different woods were in consideration.
- Jason
TPK

Post by TPK »

jxr1197 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:12 pm
TPK wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:51 pm Are those your knives in the picture? ::shrug::
They are. I just received them today. I *might* be able to get my hands on a filet blank too - that would be great to see the whole series together. The only thing I'm not sure of is what option they had for scales. I've got these walnut(?) scales that came with the blanks but I'm not sure if other materials / different woods were in consideration.
Well Congrats Jason! ::handshake:: That's awesome! Hope you get lucky on that filet knife as well! ::super_happy:: Do you plan on putting them together or will you leave them in their original condition? ::hmm::

cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Yeah, the timing was bad. Since then, Buck, Esee and Kabar just to name a few all offer similar skeleton knives; and they all sell incredibly well. Some people put handles on them, others wrap the handle in paracord. I leave mine naked so they have a slimmer profile in the pocket when carried in a Kydex sheath. The knife on the left (Sheep's Foot) is very close to the idea I've been tossing around to make my own knife, albeit shrunken into a practical pocket EDC size.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Right on! ::tu:: ::tu::

Make sure to post the finished product if you make them. ::nod::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
ea42

Post by ea42 »

jxr1197 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:12 pm
They are. I just received them today. I *might* be able to get my hands on a filet blank too - that would be great to see the whole series together.
You mean like this?...
Schrade Proto Filet Blank.jpg
I've got the clip here somewhere too. It's actually factory ground. I'm going to have to do a major search for that one. I had no idea they had a whole series in mind for those, very cool Jason!!

Eric
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

TPK wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:50 pm Well Congrats Jason! ::handshake:: That's awesome! Hope you get lucky on that filet knife as well! ::super_happy:: Do you plan on putting them together or will you leave them in their original condition? ::hmm::
cody6268 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:53 pm Yeah, the timing was bad. Since then, Buck, Esee and Kabar just to name a few all offer similar skeleton knives; and they all sell incredibly well. Some people put handles on them, others wrap the handle in paracord. I leave mine naked so they have a slimmer profile in the pocket when carried in a Kydex sheath. The knife on the left (Sheep's Foot) is very close to the idea I've been tossing around to make my own knife, albeit shrunken into a practical pocket EDC size.
1967redrider wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:31 pm Right on! ::tu:: ::tu::

Make sure to post the finished product if you make them. ::nod::
Thanks, all ::tu:: . I'm leaning towards leaving them alone and displaying them just like that. I like the paracord idea if I was to get these finished.

ea42 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:06 am I've got the clip here somewhere too. It's actually factory ground. I'm going to have to do a major search for that one. I had no idea they had a whole series in mind for those, very cool Jason!!

Eric
I'm glad to finally see the fillet! I thought it was going to be the same 5.5" as the other three and I was having a hard time picturing what it would look like. Would love to see the clip too if you find it!
- Jason
bladecollectorr

Post by bladecollectorr »

Jason, you are amassing quite the collection of factory odd-balls. Good scrounging! Thanks for taking the time to take pics and post your stuff.

I had no idea that Schrade had floated this idea. I know that Grohmann has offered kit versions of various "Russell Belt Knife" patterns for many decades. I'd say this means some people do indeed like buying them.

http://www.grohmannknives.com/index.php ... knife-kits
I don't always respond to great posts but I always appreciate seeing them. Thanks for posting! ::tu::

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”