Two 8OTs - One Schrade & One Ulster

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
jxr1197

Two 8OTs - One Schrade & One Ulster

Post by jxr1197 »

These brown plastic-handled 8OTs are hard to come by. In fact, I've seen more 50OTs in this material than 8OTs. The two in the pics below have an interesting twist - one's an Ulster...well, sort of. It's not stamped Ulster of course but the blades are a dead giveaway. It's a Schrade with Ulster bits in it.

The clip on the knife to the left has that deep swedge running almost all the way to the end of the pull. The other knife has an Ulster clip with the short swedge that ends before the start of the pull.
open.jpg

This isn't the only 8OT with an Ulster clip, there were plenty of Delrin 8OTs with this clip - I've got a Delrin knife that can be dated to 1962 that has that Ulster clip. Aside from that, the spey blades are also completely different.
spey.jpg

All of the Ulster clip 8OTs, including this one, have the same tang stamp that every other "normal" 8OT has but none of them have the pattern number on the back.
pattern#.jpg

I think all of the Delrin knives with this clip were SFOs or contract knives, at least the ones I have seen are. The first Primble 935 knives (which is a bone 8OT) all have this alternate blade too. It should be noted that time isn't a factor that could help explain the different blades - they both were built in that very narrow window between Bone and Delrin. I did also find out that this material was a one and done. The manufacturer only made a single vat of this stuff.
closed.jpg
- Jason
tongueriver

Re: Two 8OTs - One Schrade & One Ulster

Post by tongueriver »

Very interesting obscure skulschradery! Thanks Jason! ::tu::
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

tongueriver wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:27 pmskulschradery!
:lol: :lol: :lol: - a word to remember ::tu::

You might recall that I bought that Schrade from you a few years ago.
- Jason
Benton629

Post by Benton629 »

Many thanks for sharing this.
I really like the Old Timers and want to get an 8OT for my collection.
Your knowledge and research now has me looking for one of those above. 👍
bladecollectorr

Post by bladecollectorr »

Interesting pair with a great description. Thanks for your detailed post. I can't say as I prefer the shrunken appearance of this handle material as compared to the standard delrin but I can totally appreciate their value to a Schrade-Ulster-all-things-Baer collector.

Schrade made way too many knives in 100 years for me to afford a nice example of every one. The way we all have slightly different sub-sets of Schrade products keeps me coming back to aapk. It's great to see quality posts about Schrade knives I will never own for whatever reason. I do enjoy them vicariously. ::tu::

This delrin 8OT gets used often.
8OT 01.jpg
8OT 02.jpg
8OT tang.jpg
I don't always respond to great posts but I always appreciate seeing them. Thanks for posting! ::tu::
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Well said, Blade Collectorr; I have a SW yaller 881Y that gets used quite a bit around the place. One thing we never call them is 'toad stickers,' right?
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

Benton629 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:50 am Many thanks for sharing this.
I really like the Old Timers and want to get an 8OT for my collection.
Your knowledge and research now has me looking for one of those above. 👍
Careful - they're addictive! Once you get going on the 8OTs you realize just how many there are. The variety in this one pattern is remarkable. Well over 100 versions of this knife exist. Many are widely available and some are pretty tough to find. I hope you'll be back to post your first one when you find it.

bladecollectorr wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:42 am..I can't say as I prefer the shrunken appearance of this handle material as compared to the standard delrin but I can totally appreciate their value to a Schrade-Ulster-all-things-Baer collector...
'Appearance' is the key word. It's not celluloid-type shrinkage. They all have the same size gap. I figure they were made that way. The handles were made off site by the plastics vendor. I don't know if that was typical or if it has anything to do with why the molds ran small.
gaps.jpg

bladecollectorr wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:42 am This delrin 8OT gets used often.
Looks like a great user. ::tu::
- Jason
Benton629

Post by Benton629 »

That’s good to know about the shrinkage like appearance.
Yep, they’re addictive.
bladecollectorr

tongueriver wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:03 am Well said, Blade Collectorr; I have a SW yaller 881Y that gets used quite a bit around the place. One thing we never call them is 'toad stickers,' right?
I think ya just did call 'em "toad stickers" but you got it right. It's not a phrase I would let my toads read or hear due to their delicate sensibilities. Good thing they have a brain the size of a pea and will never grasp such negativity. :wink:
jxr1197 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:33 am
bladecollectorr wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:42 am..I can't say as I prefer the shrunken appearance of this handle material as compared to the standard delrin but I can totally appreciate their value to a Schrade-Ulster-all-things-Baer collector...
'Appearance' is the key word. It's not celluloid-type shrinkage. They all have the same size gap. I figure they were made that way. The handles were made off site by the plastics vendor. I don't know if that was typical or if it has anything to do with why the molds ran small...
I think it's exactly like celluloid shrinkage and the reason they only made one batch is this is what happens to it every time. They started out correctly sized and shrunk. I think there is a zero percent chance that Schrade or Ulster made and sold knives will such ill-fitting handles. I think there is a strong chance the universal shrinkage is what made this material come and go in an instant.

We may have to agree to disagree on this one. :)
I don't always respond to great posts but I always appreciate seeing them. Thanks for posting! ::tu::
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

bladecollectorr wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:36 pm I think it's exactly like celluloid shrinkage and the reason they only made one batch is this is what happens to it every time. They started out correctly sized and shrunk. I think there is a zero percent chance that Schrade or Ulster made and sold knives will such ill-fitting handles. I think there is a strong chance the universal shrinkage is what made this material come and go in an instant.

You may be right. I know very little about plastic. My argument against shrinkage boils down to the uniformity of it – they’re all identical. The material is a non-celluloid DuPont blend that I believe is more likely to have been shelved due to poor timing (this was made immediately before Delrin) than to poor performance. Or maybe those two factors were concurrent. If it’s shrinkage that stopped them from selling the knives it would have happened almost immediately after being made. Is that kind of speed a known characteristic of plastics that shrink? I know that some number of them were sold but I believe that’s a pretty small number. Two of the knives I have in that pic above I bought from descendants of the original owners. Both of those original owners were jobbers, which puts the knives in the distribution chain.
- Jason
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

If it was shrinkage then there would have been shrinking in both directions; i.e. exposing edge of liners top & bottom as well as pulling away from bolsters.
kj
Benton629

Post by Benton629 »

I gotta say that the Delrin used on Schrade USA Old Timers lasts so much better than a lot of materials. Mine get used and regularly survive drops, heat, and exposure to solvents.
I think the only real danger is melting from extreme heat. I believe you won’t put your knife and hand near anything that’s hot enough to melt it.

I see in the SMKW Fall catalog that Imperial Schrade is selling celluloid handle pocket knives.
I don’t know why they would still do this.
Are plastics unable to match the traditional colors or is it just that much cheaper? The Delrin Schrade uses in China looks awful and I would not want any of those knives. They are actually offering bone handles on some Old Timers now.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I took a cursory look at their online site and did not see any mention of celluloid but probably just missed it. I am not aware of any celluloid being used on knives since the crap coming out of Germany some years ago. For the purposes of this subforum it doesn't really matter, because it is only for Schrade knives (and other related companies) made in the U.S. before the 2004 bankruptcy.
Benton629

Post by Benton629 »

Right you are sir.
I only mentioned the Chinese junk because I was surprised anyone still used celluloid.
bladecollectorr

kootenay joe wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:53 am If it was shrinkage then there would have been shrinking in both directions...
kj
While that is certainly true, I'm still sticking with the shrinkage theory. Let's work some math.

If we assume a certain material shrinks 5% in all directions over time then a 80mm long handle slab would shrink 4mm in length. If that same piece was 15mm wide it would shrink by 0.75mm in width. This would leave an immediately apparent 2mm gap at each end but only 0.375mm of shrinkage at the top and bottom edges of the slab. The shrinkage at the ends would be much more visually obvious than at the top and bottom.

Imperial's shell-handled knives immediately come to mind. So very many of them exhibit obvious shrinkage in length while it it is NOT obviously pulled away from the top and bottom.

I can't say as I know exactly why this discrepancy presents itself but that's what I see when I look at knives like the ones in these pics. I don't really see lateral shrinkage.

example 1
02 Imp 1.JPG
01 Imp 1.JPG
example 2
01 Imp 2.jpg
02 Imp 2.jpg
example 3
01 Imp 3.jpg
example 4
01 Imp 4.jpg
02 Imp 4.jpg
jxr1197 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:45 pm You may be right. I know very little about plastic. My argument against shrinkage boils down to the uniformity of it – they’re all identical. The material is a non-celluloid DuPont blend that I believe is more likely to have been shelved due to poor timing (this was made immediately before Delrin) than to poor performance. Or maybe those two factors were concurrent. If it’s shrinkage that stopped them from selling the knives it would have happened almost immediately after being made. Is that kind of speed a known characteristic of plastics that shrink? I know that some number of them were sold but I believe that’s a pretty small number. Two of the knives I have in that pic above I bought from descendants of the original owners. Both of those original owners were jobbers, which puts the knives in the distribution chain.
I can see our theories being complementary. As far as I know, Schrade would do a big run of a popular pattern and might well create far more than they already had orders for. They would have these in-stock and ready to ship when an order came in.

Perhaps this material shrunk so much, so fast that they looked like this before they even had orders for them. Perhaps as soon as Schrade saw the in-factory shrinkage they nixed the material, switched to delrin and did a run of a zillion delrin ones that were then ready and waiting for future orders. When these future orders came in they shipped the delrin ones and the ones with shrinkage were filed under "history".

I doubt the reason the manufacturer of this material only made one batch was because the recipe required hard-to-find moon-dust or dragon scales. The "timing" that you speak of regarding delrin's appearance sank this material for a reason. Delrin must have been superior for some reason and perhaps a lot of reasons. To me, a "preponderance of evidence" implies that delrin wouldn't-didn't-doesn't shrink like this material does.

My guess is delrin won performance-wise regarding shrinkage (and maybe other factors too) so industry moved on.

I might be totally wrong on this but I haven't heard anything yet that convinces me Schrade or Ulster would have sold knives looking like that as "firsts". They knew how a knife-handle should fit. There would have been no necessary learning-curves for Baer-and-crew other than the properties of the failed material. Both companies were obviously very familiar with making stockman knives by the time this material showed up.

If contracted handles arrived cut too short they wouldn't have been paid for. Industrial orders for machined parts always have tolerances attached. Plus or minus .01% etc. I don't think the Baers would have paid their employees to haft free not-to-spec handles and waste all the other knife parts.
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

I love this place – where else on the internet can you find grown men ruminating over the virtues of plastic knife handles from 60 years ago?

bladecollectorr wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:08 pm ...I doubt the reason the manufacturer of this material only made one batch was because the recipe required hard-to-find moon-dust or dragon scales. The "timing" that you speak of regarding delrin's appearance sank this material for a reason. Delrin must have been superior for some reason and perhaps a lot of reasons. To me, a "preponderance of evidence" implies that delrin wouldn't-didn't-doesn't shrink like this material does..

My guess is delrin won performance-wise regarding shrinkage (and maybe other factors too) so industry moved on.
The little bit of info I have on the material comes from talking to the owner of the company that made the handles, although back then it was his mother that ran the place. It seems like experimenting with different formulas was par for the course at the time and a single vat, like this probably was, wouldn’t even get a name. I think there’s no doubt that Delrin would have kicked this stuff’s ass even if people liked the shrinky dink look of these handles. My interest in them lies in their mysterious past and scarcity. If I need an 8OT to carry I grab a Delrin one just like anyone else.
- Jason
bladecollectorr

jxr1197 wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:29 pm I love this place – where else on the internet can you find grown men ruminating over the virtues of plastic knife handles from 60 years ago?...
Right?!!! :) We're a funny bunch. In a good way.

I, for one, know that these trivial details and $3.00 will get me a cup of coffee. Most cafes will even forgo the Schrade trivia if you plead with them to just make it stop. :wink:
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is an example of shrinkage that is mainly in the 'width' direction rather than length. This is an unused Camillus (short underline) #20 a single spring Muskrat. I think these handles are not celluloid but some other pre-Delrin plastic. Can someone please give a date range for this tang stamping ? I'm sure it is pre 1960 or handles would of been Delrin.
kj
Attachments
IMGP9448.JPG
IMGP9449.JPG
IMGP9450.JPG
IMGP9451.JPG

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”