Actual Stag 885UH?

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
cody6268

Actual Stag 885UH?

Post by cody6268 »

An eBay seller in NY recently listed a ton of Schrades in varying conditions--from new/unused, to user, to mostly complete from the factory, but not finished. I bid on a, er, um "healthy" amount; and won all that I bid on with low bids. This was one of them--it only cost $25. The handles appear to be antler or stag.

From what I'm reading here, I do believe this is a Copenhagen knife, from the 1992 Fisherman's Gift Set. But, aren't the blades etched BEFORE they go into the knife? Thus, then what's the deal here?

viewtopic.php?t=23377
UST3GS - FIsherman's gift set, 167UH & 885UH w/ burnt stag handles, Copenhagen shields, Copenhagen blade etch, lasered wood display box w/ bass boat scene, Ship 11/9/92 - 500 pcs

Anyone know what shield should go in it? And, how do I stablize the pin crack?
s-l1600ISC885UH.jpg
ea42

Re: Actual Stag 885UH?

Post by ea42 »

Etching was done last, just before the blades were sharpened. It doesn't necessarily have to be a Cope although it's a good possibility as long as it had an oval shield. There were a lot of oval shields made including one that simply said "LIMITED" which was used on a number of the stag knives.

Eric
bladecollectorr

Post by bladecollectorr »

cody6268 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:51 pm ...I do believe this is a Copenhagen knife, from the 1992 Fisherman's Gift Set. But, aren't the blades etched BEFORE they go into the knife? Thus, then what's the deal here?
Eric would be a very reliable source regarding when blade etches happened during the manufacturing process.

I'm pretty good at spotting sambar handled Schrade. I really like them and have consequently looked a a zillion pics. I used to have a UST3GS. Sold in trying times. Your particular knife is not from those sets.

This is how I can tell.

Your knife looks to have natural sambar stag handles. The "Copenhagen Fishing Knife Set" had burnt stag handles with golden brown tones. Secondly, those 885UH knives had a smaller round Copenhagen shield (not an oval shield).

Your very nice knife could have been from any number of special runs over the years or it could have been an end-of-days assembly that was rejected because of the pin crack etc. It's exact manufacturing date will likely remain a mystery. Did you try asking the seller for more details? That's your best bet at finer details regarding the knife.

I recommend finding any Schrade shield that will fit and using original J-B Weld epoxy to affix it after roughing up the back of the shield and handle well a bit with medium sandpaper. I did that to my 85th Anniversary whittler and it worked great. It also has a burnt stag handle.

I think the pin crack will likely stay as it is without doing anything to it. I'm no expert on that, just my opinion based on my experience with other pin-cracked knives. You might want to ask in the customization and fix-it forums.

Here's pics of my shield-fix whittler and my previously owned UST3GS set.
original condition.jpg
closed - front.jpg
01_zps7e8eb660.JPG
02_zps833acc2a.JPG
04_zpsf6c1c65c.JPG
06_zps19546501.JPG
13_zps7104c787.JPG
19_zps0928e72f.JPG
I don't always respond to great posts but I always appreciate seeing them. Thanks for posting! ::tu::
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

bladecollectorr wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:20 pm
cody6268 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:51 pm ...I do believe this is a Copenhagen knife, from the 1992 Fisherman's Gift Set. But, aren't the blades etched BEFORE they go into the knife? Thus, then what's the deal here?
Eric would be a very reliable source regarding when blade etches happened during the manufacturing process.

I'm pretty good at spotting sambar handled Schrade. I really like them and have consequently looked a a zillion pics. I used to have a UST3GS. Sold in trying times. Your particular knife is not from those sets.

This is how I can tell.

Your knife looks to have natural sambar stag handles. The "Copenhagen Fishing Knife Set" had burnt stag handles with golden brown tones. Secondly, those 885UH knives had a smaller round Copenhagen shield (not an oval shield).

Your very nice knife could have been from any number of special runs over the years or it could have been an end-of-days assembly that was rejected because of the pin crack etc. It's exact manufacturing date will likely remain a mystery. Did you try asking the seller for more details? That's your best bet at finer details regarding the knife.

I recommend finding any Schrade shield that will fit and using original J-B Weld epoxy to affix it after roughing up the back of the shield and handle well a bit with medium sandpaper. I did that to my 85th Anniversary whittler and it worked great. It also has a burnt stag handle.

I think the pin crack will likely stay as it is without doing anything to it. I'm no expert on that, just my opinion based on my experience with other pin-cracked knives. You might want to ask in the customization and fix-it forums.

Here's pics of my shield-fix whittler and my previously owned UST3GS set.

original condition.jpgclosed - front.jpg

01_zps7e8eb660.JPG02_zps833acc2a.JPG04_zpsf6c1c65c.JPG06_zps19546501.JPG13_zps7104c787.JPG19_zps0928e72f.JPG
Love your whittler. 8) 8) 8) ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

cody6268 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:51 pm An eBay seller in NY recently listed a ton of Schrades in varying conditions--from new/unused, to user, to mostly complete from the factory, but not finished. I bid on a, er, um "healthy" amount; and won all that I bid on with low bids. This was one of them--it only cost $25. The handles appear to be antler or stag.

From what I'm reading here, I do believe this is a Copenhagen knife, from the 1992 Fisherman's Gift Set. But, aren't the blades etched BEFORE they go into the knife? Thus, then what's the deal here?

viewtopic.php?t=23377
UST3GS - FIsherman's gift set, 167UH & 885UH w/ burnt stag handles, Copenhagen shields, Copenhagen blade etch, lasered wood display box w/ bass boat scene, Ship 11/9/92 - 500 pcs

Anyone know what shield should go in it? And, how do I stablize the pin crack?

s-l1600ISC885UH.jpg
Well shopped. You have done well there. :D
ea42

Post by ea42 »

I should have been a little more specific about the etching; the standard one color etching like you see on the Copenhagen knives was done at the end of production after the knives were completely done with the exception of sharpening. The high end gold and black etching such as what you see on that anniversary whittler was done off site at Baron Etching on full polished blades before they were put into the knives. I may have a couple of oval shields for you here Cody, I'll see what I have and let you know. There were a couple of different sizes, how wide is that hole?

Eric

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”