Schrade Cut. Co. 3-1/16" Senator SS7099 SI - salesman sample & I.T.E. friend

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
bladecollectorr

Schrade Cut. Co. 3-1/16" Senator SS7099 SI - salesman sample & I.T.E. friend

Post by bladecollectorr »

A while back I bought a SS7099 SI salesman sample. Shortly after I took a chance on another Cut Co senator that I couldn't identify from the crappy listing pics.
7479GSilShac 01.jpg
7479GSilShac 01.jpg (24.01 KiB) Viewed 1140 times
7479GSilShac 02.jpg
7479GSilShac 02.jpg (18.29 KiB) Viewed 1140 times
When it arrived it was easy to identify because it's an exact match to the sample knife. Easy-peasy!

From the 1930 Schrade Supplement:
1930 supplement.jpg

These two knives have the smooth stainless handles as opposed to being engine-turned. Decrypting the model #: SS(stainless steel blades), 7 (two-blades, one at each end), 09 ("09" pattern), 9 (misc handle material), S (smooth handles), I (stainless handles)

It is very easy to identify the shackle as being nickel silver not stainless. Although sterling silver, nickel silver and stainless steel appear similar in pics and by themselves, it is easy to distinguish between the three when you put them side-by-side. The "cleaned inside" factor is about as good as it gets regarding these knives. I can see a perfect reflection on the spring when I look into the blade wells.

Good luck and all-stainless construction has allowed both of these old knives to remain in near factory condition. SS7099SI shown on top, SS7099SI Shac below.

SS7099SI vs SS7099SI Shac - 01 x1200.jpg
SS7099SI vs SS7099SI Shac - 02 x1200.jpg
SS7099SI vs SS7099SI Shac - 03 x1200.jpg
SS7099SI vs SS7099SI Shac - 04 x1200.jpg
SS7099SI vs SS7099SI Shac - 05 x1200.jpg
I don't always respond to great posts but I always appreciate seeing them. Thanks for posting! ::tu::
WillyCamaro

Re: Schrade Cut. Co. 3-1/16" Senator SS7099 SI - salesman sample & I.T.E. friend

Post by WillyCamaro »

Those are 2 fine looking pen knives bc, the ITE is especially nice.
Pen knives are sure underrated by collectors, especially anything from old sheffield.
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
kootenay joe

Re: Schrade Cut. Co. 3-1/16" Senator SS7099 SI - salesman sample & I.T.E. friend

Post by kootenay joe »

Those are good finds bladecollectorr, and thanks for the explanation of the catalog numbers. I very much appreciate that you include 'background' information about the knives you post. Makes for more interesting & educational reading than just posting pictures of the knife.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here are 6 Schrade Cut Co metal handle pen knives.
kj
Attachments
IMGP0111.JPG
IMGP0112.JPG
IMGP0113.JPG
IMGP0114.JPG
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here are 7 Schrade Walden metal handle pen knives. Two are marked "778" and the 2 lobster knives with scissors are 876.

I'm selling all my Schrade knives. If you would like all these metal pen knives, let me know. Price will be cheap.
kj
Attachments
IMGP0115.JPG
IMGP0116.JPG
IMGP0117.JPG
IMGP0118.JPG
IMGP0119.JPG
IMGP0120.JPG
bladecollectorr

WillyCamaro wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:37 am Those are 2 fine looking pen knives bc, the ITE is especially nice.
Pen knives are sure underrated by collectors, especially anything from old sheffield.
Thanks! The smaller gents knives do get overlooked by many collectors. I really like them. No accounting for taste, as they say.

Be it Sheffield, Solingen or NY State I find prices can vary widely on minty examples. Some fetch big bucks depending on who wants it. With wear the value plummets.

kootenay joe wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:04 pm Those are good finds bladecollectorr, and thanks for the explanation of the catalog numbers. I very much appreciate that you include 'background' information about the knives you post. Makes for more interesting & educational reading than just posting pictures of the knife.
kj
kootenay joe wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:41 pm Here are 7 Schrade Walden metal handle pen knives. Two are marked "778" and the 2 lobster knives with scissors are 876.

I'm selling all my Schrade knives. If you would like all these metal pen knives, let me know. Price will be cheap.
kj
Thanks for the kind words kj. :) The only reason I've learnt anything about Schrade is the availability of good online resources provided by helpful collectors who came before me. I try to help make people's forum searches produce relevant and accurate results. I refer back to it as well. No point in taking notes just for myself. Might as well post the info.

That's a bunch of cool gents knives! I sent you an email regarding 2 or three knives I'm interested in. ::tu::
I don't always respond to great posts but I always appreciate seeing them. Thanks for posting! ::tu::
bladecollectorr

WillyCamaro wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:37 am Those are 2 fine looking pen knives bc, the ITE is especially nice.
Since the I.T.E. ("Inverse Time Element" circuit breaker) knife interested you here's some more info I dug up. My best guess is that my knife was made in late 1927 or 1928. The blade swedge cuts look like an earlier Cut Co style (as you likely noticed) and I found out that 1928 was a big year in the history of ITE.

http://www.ncwhomeinspections.com/Walke ... +Pushmatic
In 1928 because of ITE’s recognition in the electronics industry for their breaker design Cutter Electrical and MFG Co changed their name officially to ITE to take advantage of this name recognition.
So in 1928 the name "I.T.E. Circuit Breaker Company" went live for the first time. That may well have prompted them to order up some personalized Schrade knives. Pure conjecture of course. Maybe it was an anniversary knife from 5 years later or just a random purchase not related to any specific event.

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”