SPF1 Spitfire

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
cody6268

SPF1 Spitfire

Post by cody6268 »

What are my chances of finding one of these? It's another that was produced right up near the end. I've seen it for ages in the database here, but didn't know what it was until looking through a catalog page. I like the size and locking mechanism, and the complete lack of a pocket clip. Plus, an AXIS-type lock I can use one-handed left-handed.

And what would be a fair price for used, but not abused condition examples? There's one on "the 'Bay", mint in box with papers, but the asking price is $500! Looking at the seller's other items, this seems inflated.

http://www.collectors-of-schrades-r.us/ ... -CP214.htm
XX Case XX

Re: SPF1 Spitfire

Post by XX Case XX »

Here's some more information on it. viewtopic.php?t=40728

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Here you go Cody. I believe this is current. https://www.countryknives.com/shop-by-d ... ts34-g-10/

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Thanks! That $200 makes a lot more sense; actually about the same as MSRP once sixteen years of inflation is factored in.
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

Here’s an interesting note on the spitfire (and I might be playing fast and loose with the word interesting here). It was a new lock design where it locks when the blade is opened via a bar dropping into the notch on the back of the tang. The bar is spring loaded, so you have to pull it up to release the blade when closing it. For a blade to be stable when it’s open it needs three point of contact – the pivot point, a blade stop and a locking point. The spitfire was designed with only two points of contact which is why every spitfire has some blade play. The next evolution of this design (blade stop added) was used in the SQ877 Cable Lock knife. The mechanism on that one is external, but it works the same way. So this is an instance where a new technology was rolled out in a super primo knife and then they perfected it and offered it in one of their cheapest knives.
- Jason

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”