Two Schrade Folding Hunters

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
tongueriver

Re: Two Schrade Folding Hunters

Post by tongueriver »

kootenay joe wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:20 pm But, who wouldn't like an "Alaskan" knife ? Sounds strong, capable and independent.
kj
So... another good etch in that vein would be BRITISH COLUMBIAN RACONTEUR.
LRV

Post by LRV »

Schrade Walden became schrade in sometime during 1973. There were 2 catalogs generated that year. One was Schrade Walden the other Schrade. There were a couple differences between them.
Doesn't answer the date question exactly but I believe I have it tucked away.
“A knife in a man’s hand is as precious as a diamond necklace on a woman’s neck” - Michael Mirando I.S.C.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

LRV wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:07 am Schrade Walden became schrade in sometime during 1973. There were 2 catalogs generated that year. One was Schrade Walden the other Schrade. There were a couple differences between them.
Doesn't answer the date question exactly but I believe I have it tucked away.
Thank you, Larry; that was my understanding.
LRV

Post by LRV »

A little digging in the archive found this note
1973: Schrade Walden Cutlery Corp. was consolidated with Ulster Knife Co., Inc. on September 26th, 1958 and this corporate consolidation was amended on September 17th, 1973 changing the name to Schrade Cutlery Corp., still a division of Imperial Knife Associated Companies.

Im done for the night :D
“A knife in a man’s hand is as precious as a diamond necklace on a woman’s neck” - Michael Mirando I.S.C.
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Good to know guys, I wasn't aware of the mid-year change. I guess that explains why you don't see many of those SW Alaskan Old Timer Hunters. I've only seen them in the 1973 catalog, which probably means they were in production in late 1972. It's possible they had a mid year 1972 intro as was done with a number of knives to catch the hunting/Christmas season rush, but I don't have any of the Second Half salesman meeting notebooks from that era to verify.

Eric

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”