Thoughts on the Sharpfinger?

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Thoughts on the Sharpfinger?

Post by zed6309 »

Ok guys I've not skinned a animal in many years but it's a skill I want to revisit , years ago around the late 80's my friends dad taught me how to skin a Rabbit, he was very efficient at it and I learnt a lot , I know he used a old Schrade Sharp finger, for years after I used a few different knives including basic butchers type knives, my question is is the sharp finger worth getting ? I remember my friends dads looking very well used but very sharp and had a nice brown leather sheath , thanks for any advice guys ::tu::
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,
cody6268

Re: Thoughts on the Sharp finger?

Post by cody6268 »

Yes. I find the handle well suited for my medium-sized hand, and the blade shape good for all-around, not just skinning. Actually, I can't say I've owned a fixed blade that fits my hand better. The sheath quality is great as well.

My only one is the 158OT which is a guthook version. My plans are to modify it to be a Wharncliffe, since I already have a good hunting knife. In my opinion, gut hooks on the end of a blade is a really bad position. And they're hard to sharpen.
ozzie marie

Post by ozzie marie »

In my opinion, for the money, the Schrade Old Timer 152OT is best all around knife for gutting and skinning ::nod::
The 1095 High Carbon steel holds an edge well and is easily sharpened ::tu::
I used one for 25 years before I started using a custom I purchased for my son.
Does the blade look familiar? :lol:

Keith
Coats.jpg
Loyalty and Respect are not purchased and owned for a lifetime, they are earned everyday.

Please visit my store at:
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ozziemarie
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

My experience is with field dressing deer and other large animals. I used a Schrade 152OT for years and with my sharpening found it did not edge hold particularly well. Later i switched to use a small drop point blade and found that i preferred this profile for field dressing and skinning.
The long point on the Sharp Finger makes it easy to perforate the gut or intestines as you are cleaning out the insides. Less likely to do this with a drop point.
kj
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

Thanks for the info guys ::tu:: I'll only be using it for food processing as got other fixed blades I use while outdoors , for me there is many memories of this model hence why I'm thinking of getting one ::tu:: my mate uses a pocket knife , I actually traded with him 2yrs ago my bunny knife as he really liked it , I kind of regret it now as was a lovely bone handled knife , but I dont like using a pocket knife for skinning unless I've no option , I'll see what I can find sharp finger wise as really wsnt one for old times sake lol ::tu::
Paul,

zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Thoughts on the Sharpfinger?

Post by zed6309 »

I picked up this Taylor brand Schrade set, comes with a 108ot and a nice tin :D the 152ot feels well made, I'm going to make a kydex sheath for it so I can scout carry it on camp trips , I'll look out for a old U.S one but rarer in the uk and this will do for now ::tu::
20210116_130734-01.jpeg
Paul,

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

ozzie marie wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:42 am In my opinion, for the money, the Schrade Old Timer 152OT is best all around knife for gutting and skinning ::nod::
The 1095 High Carbon steel holds an edge well and is easily sharpened ::tu::
I used one for 25 years before I started using a custom I purchased for my son.
Does the blade look familiar? :lol:

Keith
Coats.jpg
Keith, is Janesville canceled?
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

zed6309 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:15 pm I picked up this Taylor brand Schrade set, comes with a 108ot and a nice tin :D the 152ot feels well made, I'm going to make a kydex sheath for it so I can scout carry it on camp trips , I'll look out for a old U.S one but rarer in the uk and this will do for now ::tu:: 20210116_130734-01.jpeg
Congrats Paul. Glad you found one. ::tu::
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

doglegg wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:36 pm
zed6309 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:15 pm I picked up this Taylor brand Schrade set, comes with a 108ot and a nice tin :D the 152ot feels well made, I'm going to make a kydex sheath for it so I can scout carry it on camp trips , I'll look out for a old U.S one but rarer in the uk and this will do for now ::tu:: 20210116_130734-01.jpeg
Congrats Paul. Glad you found one. ::tu::
Cheers mate , and at £23 for the set it was affordable for me ::tu:: both came very sharp, cant wait to try the 152ot out , the 108ot has been in my pocket the last 2 days ::tu::
Paul,

black mamba

Post by black mamba »

For about a decade I used a Walmart version of the Sharpfinger 152 as my only fixed blade, and did a lot of small game hunting. For ducks, quail, pheasant, bunnies, etc., it's the finest pattern I've ever used. As kootenay joe said, I also prefer a different pattern for larger game, such as a drop point or bullnose, but the 152 is well worth having. I do tend to prefer the Uncle Henry version, and have a custom as well.

Shown here with the larger 165UH for comparison
UH152-165mark.jpg
American Walnut handled custom in 440C
walnutSF_zpsc95a63d4.jpg

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”