I found an ODD Old Timer tang stamp.....

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
Meridian_Mike

I found an ODD Old Timer tang stamp.....

Post by Meridian_Mike »

My son gave me a gift card for my birthday for the bay. SO...... yesterday while cruising for a victim, I see this odd looking 34OT tang stamp on an Old Timer.
While looking at it, it hit me.... no pattern NUMBER under the "Schrade N.Y. U.S.A." stamp on the mark side of tang.
Then, when I flipped to the next picture, I see "34OT" on the pile side of the tang....
SO..... I figure this must have been a transition blade that was stamped right after the "WALDEN" was dropped from the mark side tang.
What do y'all think?

Here it is....(Sellers pics)
TANG STAMP 4_1.jpg
TANG STAMP 4_2.jpg

For reference.... Here is the tang stamp from the 1st Old Timers...
TANG STAMP 1_1.jpg
TANG STAMP 1_2.jpg

And then the tang stamps went to this 2nd one, after the "WALDEN" was dropped from the stamp...
TANG STAMP 2.jpg

My new one seems like a mixture of the 1st and 2nd tang stamps.

Thanks for looking everyone!
:D
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
kootenay joe

Re: I found an ODD Old Timer tang stamp.....

Post by kootenay joe »

Mike, it is not an odd stamping. It is how most of the Old Timer knives were marked in the first few years after Schrade-Walden became Schrade. At some point, no one seems to know exactly when, but perhaps around 1976-77 the marking became: Schrade/USA 34OT.
kj
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

kootenay joe wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:07 pm Mike, it is not an odd stamping. It is how most of the Old Timer knives were marked in the first few years after Schrade-Walden became Schrade. At some point, no one seems to know exactly when, but perhaps around 1976-77 the marking became: Schrade/USA 34OT.
kj
OH..... OK...
SO.... the pics I said were the 2nd tang stamp were actually the 3rd tang stamp.

AND SO, there are more of these out there. This is the first one I have ever seen.

Thanks Roland!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Basically when you see "Schrade N.Y." you know it is an early Schrade, 1973 to about 1976-77. If no "N.Y." then it is later than about 1977.
This is how i think it is, but let's have a few Schrade collectors either confirm or correct. Then we all will know for sure.
kj
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Yep, I was hoping some other Schrade collectors would chime in.
All the .....Schrade
with.......N.Y. U.S.A.... tang stamps for Old Timers
Had .........34OT..... model number stamped all on the mark side of the blade tang.
I have never seen.... Schrade
with...................N.Y. U.S.A
and the the model number
.... 34OT ....stamped on the pile side of the blade tang.
I hope some of you guys have another one you can show us....

::shrug::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Mike are you speaking of Schrade, N.Y." knives in general or just the 34OT ?
I have a knife in front of me marked "Schrade/N.Y. U.S.A." on the mark side and "218" on the pile side. This one is "Open Stock". I will look for Old Timers with pattern # on pile side.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I only have one Schrade N.Y. Old Timer and it is a 34OT and Mike you are correct. The "34OT" is on the mark side.
I still have a few Schrade N.Y. Open Stock knives and these have the pattern number on the pile side (back side).
kj
Attachments
IMGP0878.JPG
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Thanks Roland...
I am sorry if I didn't make myself clear in saying that this tang stamp seems to only show itself with the Old Timer knives.
(Old Timers and Uncle Henrys are my specific area of interest in collecting)
I searched rather deeply yesterday, and I found ONE OTHER Old Timer that has this specific tang stamp.
This thread on our forum shows an 8OT with this tang stamp....

viewtopic.php?t=39953

There really must have been only a VERY FEW of this tang stamp in existence.
I am not sure if the knife shown is in the possession of Shearer in the Land Down Under or if his photo was borrowed from the net.

Here is an abbreviation of his pictures......

Mark side...
8OT transitionatl stamp 1.JPG

Pile side....
8OT transitional stamp 2.JPG
Hey.... Old Timer Owners......
Any more of these out there?........ ANYWHERE????

::shrug::

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”