The Schrade tang stamp dead horse... Old Timers

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
Meridian_Mike

The Schrade tang stamp dead horse... Old Timers

Post by Meridian_Mike »

I need to beat on this old dead horse a bit..... Can y'all bring a stick and help me?

I have just recently discovered there is actually a tang stamp that was used by Schrade for the Old Timers that I had no idea even existed. It appears it wasn't used very much at all.......

It is this one here....

Schrade.... NY... USA...
(On one side of the tang)

and then..... The knife number
(on the other side of the tang)

It looks like this one I just got a few days ago.

2nd tang stamp 1.JPG
Recon this is a 1973 ONLY tang stamp for the Old Timers?

This one is a cross between the Schrade-Walden tang stamp that was on the first Old Timers
and.... the one (that I THOUGHT) was the second Old Timer 3 line stamp that has...

Schrade
NY USA
34OT

SO.....
From what I can see in older pictures of knives people have posted in the past.....
There does exist an 8OT tang stamp like the 34OT stamp I posted above.

There is one shown in this thread.....

viewtopic.php?t=39953

2nd post down shows an 8OT with that type of stamp.

NOW.....

Does anyone else have any of these Old Timers that have this type of tang stamp?

I am also wondering if the other early Old Timers....( the 108OT and the 25OT) might have this type of stamp for the early Schrade USA time period.

Y'all got any of these?

::shrug::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
bme1470

Re: The Schrade tang stamp dead horse... Old Timers

Post by bme1470 »

I have an old 34OT with a Walden stamp with the model listed on the reverse @Meridian_Mike. Tmk it's the only knife in my collection, other than the 935 produced for John Primble, that has the model # listed on the reverse.
Attachments
IMG_4878.jpg
IMG_4879.jpg
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

bme1470 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:47 pm I have an old 34OT with a Walden stamp with the model listed on the reverse @Meridian_Mike. Tmk it's the only knife in my collection, other than the 935 produced for John Primble, that has the model # listed on the reverse.
Correct.....

That is the first Old Timer tang stamp......

Schrade
Walden
NY USA

Then, in 1973, Walden was dropped from the tang stamp and it reads......

Schrade
N.Y. USA

I am looking for discussion concerning the 2nd tang stamp.
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Mike I'm thinking that perhaps that stamp was used very early in the 34OT's history, likely the very first stamp from the mid sixties. The 8OT's and 2OT's were also stamped with the model numbers on the pile side in the beginning. Not sure when the model numbers were switched to the mark side but I imagine it happened at the same time across all lines. This is all conjecture on my part though.

Eric
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I think Mike is asking about "Schrade/N.Y. U.S.A." being on front tang. As there is no "Walden", the earliest it could be is 1973 (as Mike has posted)
At what point in time did the pattern number get placed on the front tang of Schrade knives ? (not speaking of Schrade-Walden)
kj
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

kootenay joe wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:18 am I think Mike is asking about "Schrade/N.Y. U.S.A." being on front tang. As there is no "Walden", the earliest it could be is 1973 (as Mike has posted)
At what point in time did the pattern number get placed on the front tang of Schrade knives ? (not speaking of Schrade-Walden)
kj
Yes.....

That is it exactly. Thanks Roland!

Like I already said.... I had no idea this tang stamp even existed until a few weeks ago. Since then, I see ONE show up maybe every 3 or 4 weeks on the bay.

I was thinking MAYBE.... this is the new tang stamp that Schrade intended to use after "WALDEN" was dropped.

After a few knives were turned out with the new stamp, AGAIN MAYBE.... somebody suggested the labor of stamping a tang TWICE could be saved by putting the model number on the mark side of the tang.

(I don't know.... just throwing things against the wall to see if anything sticks......)

::shrug::

Another thing..... NOW, I have to try to find out which knives DID have that stamp..... THEN, I will need one of each for my collection.

I KNOW that there is an 8OT with that stamp. (I gotta have one!!)

:D
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

Meridian_Mike wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:47 am
kootenay joe wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:18 am I think Mike is asking about "Schrade/N.Y. U.S.A." being on front tang. As there is no "Walden", the earliest it could be is 1973 (as Mike has posted)
kj

Here three different Schrade NY USA 80T.
One with the 80T on back.Two with match stick pull.

Grant
sorry about the bad pictures ,I used my phone
Attachments
95867EBA-4B4C-4C3D-9F33-908AE9DACAA6.jpeg
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Yep.....

I saw your picture in another thread.....

THAT... is WHY I know there is an 8OT with this type of tang stamp. SO.... I was figuring they may be other models with a similar stamp...???

(I am on the prowl for one...... I haven't seen one yet.)

I do have 2 of the 34OTs with this type of "one year" stamp.....
(shown above)

Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

This type of tang stamp has to be the RAREST of the Schrade Old Timer tang stamps.

I have been looking for WEEKS for an 8OT with this odd first year Schrade N.Y. U.S.A. tang stamp....

I FINALLY got myself an 8OT example of this rare bird!

2 - 8 OT Schrade NY USA.jpg
2 - Schrade NY USA 8OT 3.jpg
2 - Schrade NY USA 8OT 4.jpg

::ds::
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Congrats Mike. Always fun to find a rarity. ::tu:: ::tu::
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

doglegg wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:58 pm Congrats Mike. Always fun to find a rarity. ::tu:: ::tu::
Yes it is!

I believe this tang stamp showed a little bit of Schrade's history too.
It looks like they VERY BRIEFLY used the old "Schrade - Walden" scheme of having the model number on the opposite side from the marker's name stamp. THEN, for some reason, they moved on to the modern stamp with the model number under the maker's name.

I would really like to know (or at least have an idea of) how many of these tang stamps exist out there. I do know one thing.... you can't just find one quickly.

tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Meridian_Mike wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:38 am I would really like to know (or at least have an idea of) how many of these tang stamps exist out there. I do know one thing.... you can't just find one quickly.
Isn't the hunt the best part of the fun?
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

tongueriver wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:50 pm Isn't the hunt the best part of the fun?
YES.... I love the hunt!!!
It wouldn't be any fun if you didn't have to spend some time looking around for that special one!!

::ds::

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”