Schrade Srimshaw

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
knifegnome
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Schrade Srimshaw

Post by knifegnome »

Just picked up 5 mint in the box Schrade Scrimshaw series #SC-501 , 503 , 505 , 506 , 508 and Case Fixxit tool.
Attachments
PB202488.JPG
cody6268

Re: Schrade Srimshaw

Post by cody6268 »

Nice scores! I have the SC505; in both the version you show as well as a safety award for the local Pocahontas Division of the Norfolk Southern RR.

I have long wondered why Case ever came out with that ugly, clunky brick of a pocket tool. I am sure that the Leatherman played a huge part. It is kinda fiddly in operation, and a pain to carry. Back when Leatherman celebrated the 35th anniversary, they showed various letters from American cutlery companies turning Tim Leatherman down when he tried to sell his design before making it himself--and Case was one of the several companies that turned him down. When the PST became popular, most of the companies that turned him down made their own designs over the course of the 1980s and 1990s with varying success. Granddad got a Zippo version in 1996. I think the Zippo got produced much longer because it was sold as an advertising item (his has the name of a local prefab concrete product maker) as it had a lot of room for company logos--a whole business card's worth. It also has me curious that if some of these companies had picked up his design-- where they would be today financially? Perhaps it could've made Camillus and Schrade last longer? Yes, Schrade had the Tough Tool, Tough Grip, and the ST-5E Tough Tool (originally a Craftsman model). But, for the most part, these tools were twice as expensive as the Leatherman.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Did you buy all 5 Schrade from the same seller ?
I would be interested to know the approximate price these sell for. Seems to me Schrade prices are now lower than about 10 years ago.
kj
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

knifegnome wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:30 pm Just picked up 5 mint in the box Schrade Scrimshaw series #SC-501 , 503 , 505 , 506 , 508 and Case Fixxit tool.
Those are all sweet but I really like that Barlow with the Racoon.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

All those Schrades are really nice. I think the company makes a decent
knife for the price on the scrimshaws. I know they are machined stamped
but the quality of the picture on most of them are very good.

Among the last 5 knives I purchased, 3 of them are Schrade Scrimshaw.
They have all been used but cleaned up pretty good. Blade sharpness
retention is good.

Bob

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”