Schrade Walden 896k

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Schrade Walden 896k

Post by CluelessNick »

Could someone educate me on the Butter and Molasses handle of a Schrade Walden 896k. Is it celluloid or some sort of composite plastic? Don't have a photo yet. Also would like to find out about an 896k with Delrin? handles. They are worn smooth and have a translucent look to them. Kind of like a faint wood grain under a clear coat. It is also marked Schrade Walden .See photo please. Thanks in advance.
Attachments
6.jpg
1.jpg
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Schrade Walden 896k

Post by treefarmer »

Nick,
Here is an 896K that I bought for my dad back in the mid '70's:
002.JPG
004.JPG
006.JPG
Someone will correct this but my assumption that these B&M handles were the same material as the saw cut Old Timers of that era, that being Delrin. ::shrug::
Pop was famous for sharpening the clip blades down to a needle point for some reason. I try to carry this one on Father's Day. :)
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

Great old knife ! I started gathering in some these knives in this pattern last year but don't really know much about them. Hopefully someone will take the time to teach me about them. These are all Delrin but I'm curious about the 896k.
Attachments
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

They came 3 different ways. b&m celluloid, b&m Delrin, and Delrin 'barnwood.' The celluloid handles are more translucent and the same pattern in Delrin is more opaque. An experienced eye can easily see the difference..
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

Thanks Tonguriver. I definitely don't have an experienced eye. I'll post a photo of the knife when it arrives and see if you can tell from that.
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

The internet is amazing. I made this post seeking info and then went and searched on Duckduckgo for more info. Crazy thing is many of the search results were directing me to my own post right here. All within an hour of posting.
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

So the 896k came today. mint in the tube, looks great. seems like delrin to me.
Attachments
DSC_4737.JPG
DSC_4738.JPG
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Yes, it is.
black mamba

Post by black mamba »

Here is an example of the older celluloid B&M, beautiful material! Schrade Walden from the mid to late 1950s.
896Kopen.jpg
896Kpile.jpg
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

BEAUTIFUL pattern on those covers!

::tu:: ::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

CluelessNick wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:24 pm So the 896k came today. mint in the tube, looks great. seems like delrin to me.
You are spot on Nick, that is a Delrin handle.
As you can tell in black mambas post, the celluloid butter and molasses handles are much more transparent as well as more colorful.

Camillus also had a butter in molasses celluloid that looked very similar to Schrade's butter and molasses handles. I believe they also had a Delrin version, but I'm not positive.

Western also had a version of butter and molasses celluloid that was very close to the coloration used in the Schrade and Camillus handles. IHowever, Zazaowever, don't recall seeing any Delrin versions of Western's butter and molasses handles. Someone may know for sure if they Western even made a Delrin B & M handle.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

Thanks Dale, appreciate the info. Always more to learn it seems.
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

black mamba wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:48 pm Here is an example of the older celluloid B&M, beautiful material! Schrade Walden from the mid to late 1950s.

896Kopen.jpg
896Kpile.jpg
I'm gonna try and pickup some of these soon. Those look really nice.
GregoryK

Post by GregoryK »

Hi guys
I’m new to the forum and put my knife find on AAPK under another topic and it was suggested I share it here as well.
I found this while organizing a tool box in the cellar and since I’m trying to learn how to sharpen, nothing with a blade stands a chance!

Anyway I was informed that I have an unfinished Walden from the factory. Sounds cool to me. I’ll keep it safe and get another everyday knife.

Oh another question
Any suggestions on how to clean up the blades some more?
Thanks
Attachments
03C3CAD7-5054-4F93-9D9E-B13A036B8577.jpeg
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

Very nice old knife. I personally would not clean the blades on it other than a little soap and water followed by a good oiling. I like my older knives to have some patina on the blades. It's perfect the way it is to me. Those cell covers look great and the fact it is unfinished makes it special.
GringoBombero
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by GringoBombero »

tongueriver wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:40 pm They came 3 different ways. b&m celluloid, b&m Delrin, and Delrin 'barnwood.' The celluloid handles are more translucent and the same pattern in Delrin is more opaque. An experienced eye can easily see the difference..
Here is an example of the celluloid vs Delrin.
The celluloid has a tiny bit of shrinkage (looks much worse than it actually is for some reason) but I still love the looks much more than the Delrin.
Attachments
20240311_132719.jpg
20240311_132833.jpg
20240311_132844.jpg
Goodnight Chesty Puller... wherever you are... ::pray::

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”